Getting my first table tennis table, outdoor - anyone have experience?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
Hey forum!

Glad I found this :) Great info all around!
Quick first question. I'm planning to get my son into table tennis (he's 8 years old). I played a few years myself when I was younger, and a lot in school. Not at all a pro, but I would say I'm fairly good comparing myself to the "general public".

I live in a smaller house, although with a huge garden and a 100 sqare meter big porch which is kindof being unsued at the moment. I'd love to have a table tennis table at hoime, to start practicing with my son (and myself, to be honest) and I've always turned down that idea since I knew i had no room in the house (and no garage, cellar or so either).

Until today, when I was browsing around and found out Stiga (and many other brands!) make _outdoor_ table tennis tables. I had no idea!
Now, I understand playing outside will be challenging, especially the wind - but there will be days with no wind so I started digging into this a little more and then I found this forum.

So, few questions here from more experienced people. How good (or bad) is actually an outdoor table compared to indoor table? I've only played indoors so I have no experience. Let me remind you that I'm absolutely not a pro player, and I do understand that outdoor tables probably can never be as good as an indoor table. But how big of a difference is it?

There's also many different price levels, I've noticed. It's hard to find test/reviews. So would you have any recommendations around a specific model, or even brand that I should aim for, if I decide to get one?

How well do they hold up? I live in Sweden - which means, a lof of snow, rain, wind, especially during fall/wintrer, and alot of sun in the summer. Can I expect them to hold up for say 4-5 years even if I don't have it under a roof and always keep it outside? (I will of course use a cover during the winter, but apart from that it'll always be outside since that's where I have room).

That's it I think. Any input or opionions around this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for a great forum.

Vol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
I was buying an outdoor table tennis table 2 years ago. Main thing you have to look for is the thickness of the table, the thicker it is the more it will resemble a professional ITTF indoor table. Thinner tables will result in a lower bounce, I've tried some of those ~7mm ones and the difference in playing experience was quite significant. Eventually I chose Kettler Outdoor 10 (22mm thick) and that was the closest I could get to an indoor table (a tournament level one, cause it surpasses the cheap ones you see in schools). It's on the pricey side but it's durable and I can surely recommend it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I was buying an outdoor table tennis table 2 years ago. Main thing you have to look for is the thickness of the table, the thicker it is the more it will resemble a professional ITTF indoor table.
I would be more concerned about the table warping or sagging in the middle over time.

Thinner tables will result in a lower bounce,
The ratio of the mass of the ball to the mass of the table is so low it doesn't make much difference. This is the same as a 500gm paddle being faster than a 200g paddle. It is but the difference is extremely small. People keep mentioning thickness and whether the table is on concrete or on a rubber mat. Really? Have you done the math?

I would be more concerned about the consistency of the material the table is made of and the surface coating. The variation in the quality of the table material will make a MUCH bigger difference. I would rather have a thinner table made of slate like a pool table than a thicker table made of pressed wood chips. I would avoid wood for an outdoor table because even if it doesn't get wet directly, it will still absorb moisture.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Eventually I chose Kettler Outdoor 10

The most important thing here is the resin surface. The kettler 10 has a thick one (10mm I think) whereas the outdoor 3 for instance has maybe a 4mm surface. This is still good, just make sure you get one with this surface for outdoor storage and play.
Cornilleau also have special outdoor surfaces on some but don't look as nice.

Do NOT buy one with a metal net.