Knee injuries - how many of you have?

So recently I found out that spending a lot of time playing soccer many years ago affected my knee and now I'm at rest due to a knee injury that manifested itself during a tournament match, before it was just a nuisance after every practice, but now I needed it rest and physiotherapy, I hope to start practice again every day next week. Do you have knee injuries that affect the practice of tt?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
yep - same boat as you, knee injuries from other sports. I have a probable meniscus tear of some sort, I manage that by doing some strengthening exercises and staying active.

Unless I am in considerable pain, I won't rest it completely, but I definitely will modify activities so that I don't aggravate it any further. Examples might be to practice serving, or be a blocking/hitting partner for someone else. I find this keeps my touch and feel whilst letting my knee recover to the point I can go full on again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Yes, I have had knee surgery years ago.
Then I had a re-injury / flare up 2 yrs ago.
I have worked with physio for past year. Now getting to the stage where I can play weekly competition again.
But I still have this worry that I may irritate my knee so I do not dare play table tennis 2 days in a row.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Yes, I have had knee surgery years ago.
Then I had a re-injury / flare up 2 yrs ago.
I have worked with physio for past year. Now getting to the stage where I can play weekly competition again.
But I still have this worry that I may irritate my knee so I do not dare play table tennis 2 days in a row.

that sounds familiar - I enjoy freaking my wife out as I walk past her after playing with my knee clicking like crazy...its like fingernails on a chalkboard to her...

• Haha
Reactions: JeffM
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The rotational aspect of the FH stroke (BH has much less) is hard on your knees. It is easy to get knee issues from TT. Or, if you already have them, it is easy to have them aggravated by TT. It is important for your feet to move with the stroke so that you are not putting too much stress on your knees.

But even with really good mechanics, it is still pretty easy to mess up your knees playing TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I've played soccer for about 18 years and during that time I've had ACL reconstructions to both knees as well as the usual groin hamstring and calf injuries. I don't find TT affecting my knees more so not doing any activity has more of a detrimental effect. I cycle regularly and I feel that this keeps my knees in good shape.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021

Correct however where I'm from Australian Rules Football (AFL) is referred to as Football and Football (The World Game) is referred to as soccer. Very confusing LOL but yes all my "football" friends refer to "football" as "football" 😂

I wrecked my knees playing footy, but coincidentally also did the same playing football. :p

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
The rotational aspect of the FH stroke (BH has much less) is hard on your knees. It is easy to get knee issues from TT. Or, if you already have them, it is easy to have them aggravated by TT. It is important for your feet to move with the stroke so that you are not putting too much stress on your knees.

But even with really good mechanics, it is still pretty easy to mess up your knees playing TT.

Amen. Serious knee issues were co-reasons for me quitting the game, many decades ago. In retrospect, I’d been putting in much too much training probably didn’t hrlp that a lot of that coincided with grow spurts.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
I don't have a knee injury, but I do have tendonitis in both knees, which makes it painful to run, hike, or play sports. Thank god for knee sleeves because I definitely would not be able to play without them. With the sleeves on, I can play 5 days a week with no pain...

Andy ,could you tell me which sleeves you use?