Fan Zhendong joins Butterfly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

As sampletext mentioned for you: Neither of those players uses Butterfly rubbers. Ma Long is not even using any Butterfly equipment at all. Besides he is under DHS contract for sure.

Wang supposedly uses Viscaria blade with Butterfly rubber on backhand. Therefore, not only does he use Butterfly, but as the fastest rising star, he would seem to be the ideal candidate for sponsorship.

Ma Long doesnt use it, but with financial incentive, you could get him to switch to Butterfly, or at least use Butterfly handle. Definitely should make an exception for the biggest star in the TT world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

Yes, WCQ 100% uses some chinese sheet for at least a year. I can't tell if it's H3 or H8 either.

I am pretty sure it was the Hurricane 3 in the last tournaments because of the brighter sponge. But 247tabletennis for example is still certain about his Hurricane 8 usage...

@Michael Zhuang: If you have the chance to get World number one under contract or someone who is completely struggling back to back against many opponents for over a year now, then the decision of who to take under contract should be clear.

For Ma Long - i dont think you can have more than one contract. I suppose the regulations would at least forbid that. So getting Ma Long under the Butterfly banner wont happen in this life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I am pretty sure it was the Hurricane 3 in the last tournaments because of the brighter sponge. But 247tabletennis for example is still certain about his Hurricane 8 usage...

@Michael Zhuang: If you have the chance to get World number one under contract or someone who is completely struggling back to back against many opponents for over a year now, then the decision of who to take under contract should be clear.

For Ma Long - i dont think you can have more than one contract. I suppose the regulations would at least forbid that. So getting Ma Long under the Butterfly banner wont happen in this life.

Â

No doubt FZD is the better brand, but why not get both?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Butterfly seems not to sponsor more than a certain number of CNT players at one time.

Think about it, if Ma Long wanted a Butterfly sponsorship, he could have had it any time he wanted. If he does not have that sponsorship yet, he is not going to go there. FZD on the other hand always used Butterfly stuff and may have wanted that sponsorship.

And wasn't ZJK sponsored by Butterfly and DHS? He definitely used H3 and he definitely used Butterfly rubbers on BH and a Butterfly blade.

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Butterfly seems not to sponsor more than a certain number of CNT players at one time.

Think about it, if Ma Long wanted a Butterfly sponsorship, he could have had it any time he wanted. If he does not have that sponsorship yet, he is not going to go there. FZD on the other hand always used Butterfly stuff and may have wanted that sponsorship.

And wasn't ZJK sponsored by Butterfly and DHS? He definitely used H3 and he definitely used Butterfly rubbers on BH and a Butterfly blade.

At least on their website they do not feature ZJK, but FZD. So maybe they do have him under contract too which would be quite intriguing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Seems like a strange business decision. If I was them, I would be forking over the money to get Ma Long. The Zhang Jike sponsorship really seems to have elevated the Butterfly brand. Nike doesnt count dollars to sign Michael Jordan.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

At least on their website they do not feature ZJK, but FZD. So maybe they do have him under contract too which would be quite intriguing.

It would make sense that ZJK is not featured prominently since he has retired. I am not sure if that is why. But they don't show photos of Primorac either but you better be sure that when they sell a blade with his name on it, he gets something for that. :)

Seems like a strange business decision. If I was them, I would be forking over the money to get Ma Long. The Zhang Jike sponsorship really seems to have elevated the Butterfly brand. Nike doesnt count dollars to sign Michael Jordan.

You are not getting it. It is Ma Long who has not gone to Butterfly. Butterfly does not really have a choice in the matter.

He is DHS 100000%. Think about it. And I bet DHS can pay him at least as much as Butterfly. Even if they don't pay anyone as much as they pay Ma Long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
It would make sense that ZJK is not featured prominently since he has retired. I am not sure if that is why. But they don't show photos of Primorac either but you better be sure that when they sell a blade with his name on it, he gets something for that. :)

Sry i should have made that clearer - i was talking about DHS and not Butterfly.
On the DHS website they feature FZD but not ZJK like he was never sponsored by them.
But they mention Wang Liqin who retired before ZJK if my nemory doesnt fail me. So that option is supposedly oht of the way.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Sry i should have made that clearer - i was talking about DHS and not Butterfly.
On the DHS website they feature FZD but not ZJK like he was never sponsored by them.
But they mention Wang Liqin who retired before ZJK if my nemory doesnt fail me. So that option is supposedly oht of the way.

With DHS, I think DHS sponsors the CNT. So, a player like ZJK, while he was active could have gotten all the free products he wanted from them without necessarily being under contract. I really am not sure. But I think that was the deal.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He is DHS 100000%. Think about it. And I bet DHS can pay him at least as much as Butterfly. Even if they don't pay anyone as much as they pay Ma Long.

Just a little more info: When Ma Long was really young he was using Nittaku blades. He used a few but one that stands out is, he used a Nittaku Acoustic for a while. After that he used a Butterfly TB Spirit, then a TB ALC. Then, I believe it was some time in 2011, he did a serious Equipment Junkie Journey where he had DHS design him blade after blade until they designed the 968 blade that he uses now. Once he started using that blade (the commercial version is the HL5 but it is a little different than the 968 blade that he uses) he never looked back.

At that time, Ma Long used Tenergy rubber on his BH. Not too long after the got the blade right, he started having DHS do the work to figure out how to make it so he could use a Red H3 rubber for Backhand. That is where the Red H3 37-degree rubber came from. Once they had a rubber that was good enough for him to use on his BH, he began to only use DHS equipment.

So, again, think about it. :) Why did he want to be using DHS rubber on his BH when everyone else (at that time) was using Tenergy on the BH.

[BTW: I have to be honest, I have no idea what ML uses on his BH these days. But I know, when he started using the softer version of H3 on his BH, at first he was the only one. Then when other players saw how good his BH was with it, how he could still do everything he had been doing with Tenergy with the H3 37, a whole bunch of other players started using it as well. ]

Last edited:
Reactions: latej
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Just a little more info: When Ma Long was really young he was using Nittaku blades. He used a few but one that stands out is, he used a Nittaku Acoustic for a while. After that he used a Butterfly TB Spirit, then a TB ALC. Then, I believe it was some time in 2011, he did a serious Equipment Junkie Journey where he had DHS design him blade after blade until they designed the 968 blade that he uses now. Once he started using that blade (the commercial version is the HL5 but it is a little different than the 968 blade that he uses) he never looked back.

At that time, Ma Long used Tenergy rubber on his BH. Not too long after the got the blade right, he started having DHS do the work to figure out how to make it so he could use a Red H3 rubber for Backhand. That is where the Red H3 37-degree rubber came from. Once they had a rubber that was good enough for him to use on his BH, he began to only use DHS equipment.

So, again, think about it. :) Why did he want to be using DHS rubber on his BH when everyone else (at that time) was using Tenergy on the BH.

[BTW: I have to be honest, I have no idea what ML uses on his BH these days. But I know, when he started using the softer version of H3 on his BH, at first he was the only one. Then when other players saw how good his BH was with it, how he could still do everything he had been doing with Tenergy with the H3 37, a whole bunch of other players started using it as well. ]

I am using the 37 degree rubber on my BH whereas the front is mid hard. I do twiddle coz it is fun. 37 degree very good for slow spinny loop to break the rhythm of my opponent. The harder version is of course the bread and butter rubber. But if you use it all the time, after a while the opponent get use to it and start relaxing into a rhythm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Â

Cool story. What did DHS specifically change for the Red H3 37d rubber? How did he get past the dead bounce on his backhand (maybe the blade makes up for it)? Why was Ma Long so insistent on having H3 on his backhand? What was wrong with Tenergy?

Â

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
ZJK extended his contract with Butterfly for another 10 years in 2018. He made a guest appearance at the grand opening of the Butterfly Tech building, along with Mizutani and Harimoto. I would venture to say he makes Butterfly as much money as Boll does, if not more. The 70th anniversary edition is proof.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...nd-SZLC-Blades&p=324573&viewfull=1#post324573
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...Equipment-2021&p=346840&viewfull=1#post346840

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhmlpoSLbKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7BGpz5WDo

Last edited:
Reactions: Attitude
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Â

Cool story. What did DHS specifically change for the Red H3 37d rubber? How did he get past the dead bounce on his backhand (maybe the blade makes up for it)? Why was Ma Long so insistent on having H3 on his backhand? What was wrong with Tenergy?

Â

Have you ever used the actual H3 37 that Ma Long uses? Do you know if it has a "dead bounce" or not? Did DHS need to change anything besides the sponge?
Regardless of your EJ inquiries, I think you are still asking the wrong questions.
Why, after playing with Nittaku blades as a junior and Butterfly blades for a short time, did Ma Long go to DHS and work with them to get them to make a blade for him that he wanted to use, that had some of the properties he like from the blades he had used previously but that was also different from any of them? Why is his blade an INNER FIBER ALC with LIMBA as the top ply? Why does it have a slightly enlarged head? What is the top ply of the Acoustic? Why did he get DHS to design ALL OF his equipment? Where is he from? Where is DHS from? Why is DHS a sponsor of the CNT?
You need to try and piece some of this together because you are clearly asking without thinking things through first. If you do your homework you may figure some of this out for yourself and it will mean more if you do.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Ive never used the h3 37, thats why i am asking. How is it different from the commercial orange sponge h3 in 37 degrees?Â

Jan 2018
In addition to being a DHS sponsored player, ML is also a sponsored player of Nittaku. I could trace it back to at least 2̶0̶1̶0̶ 2005. DHS and Nittaku actually have a close relationship. They have had a long history of cooperation since the 1980s starting with the introduction of DHS PF4 to Japan.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In addition to being a DHS sponsored player, ML is also a sponsored player of Nittaku. I could trace it back to at least 2010. DHS and Nittaku actually have a close relationship. They have had a long history of cooperation since the 1980s starting with the introduction of DHS PF4 to Japan.

Also note: Nittaku versions of H3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
How come Butterfly hasnt signed Liang Jingkun, he is the next best Chinese player not under Butterfly. Is he signed with anybody?

But Fan was the biggest target out there, obvious move by Butterfly. New places will be instant sellers. Why hasnt butterfly tried to poach Ma Long?

Liang Jingkun is signed with Yasaka I think.