5ply or 7ply wooden blade

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
whats the difference between a 5 ply and 7 ply wooden blade and why is the 7ply preferred more? (also, why do pros prefer the 5+2 type of blade?)

Two plies, usually with layers mounted on top of one another in perpendicular fashion. Generally, that makes blades somewhat stiffer, less flexible - and a bit more powerful. Playing them requires a bit more touch, but the reward of putting in sufficient skill is a higher power envelope. "Preferred", if true at all in general, is probably a Dunning-Kruger related mistake in many cases.

That's in general. Wood being wood and there being many types of wood, there are bound to be 5-plies that are stiffer and faster than some 7-plies.

i cant say much elaborated things, but in my experience:
when i used 7 ply allwood blades my shots are more flat and for me more effort is needed to spin the ball.
5ply give more touch and more spin, making easier control the amount of spin.
im not experienced so much but for me is this, rubber can influence this and especially the tipe of wood, exists flex 7ply and stiff 5ply.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Two plies, usually with layers mounted on top of one another in perpendicular fashion. Generally, that makes blades somewhat stiffer, less flexible - and a bit more powerful. Playing them requires a bit more touch, but the reward of putting in sufficient skill is a higher power envelope. "Preferred", if true at all in general, is probably a Dunning-Kruger related mistake in many cases.

That's in general. Wood being wood and there being many types of wood, there are bound to be 5-plies that are stiffer and faster than some 7-plies.

Yep, but then there are 7 pllies blades that are softer and less stiff than most 5 plies 😁
Sanwei J7 is an example