Stiga Clipper CR wood

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
I remember the discussions in other TT forum. CR is to make the surface harder (a characteristic that Chinese players love) and it is actually like some kind of varnish. So, do we need to varnish again? The conclusion is: you must, just to be safe. Stiga blades are prone to splinter, whether ordinary or CR blades, so it is better to varnish / lacquer the blade. Just thin layer of varnish if it is a CR blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I remember the discussions in other TT forum. CR is to make the surface harder (a characteristic that Chinese players love) and it is actually like some kind of varnish. So, do we need to varnish again? The conclusion is: you must, just to be safe. Stiga blades are prone to splinter, whether ordinary or CR blades, so it is better to varnish / lacquer the blade. Just thin layer of varnish if it is a CR blade.
CR is an "Ultra Violet Light" treatment. It is not a coating. My experience is, if it does anything, it is so little that most people, if they are honest about it, can't tell the difference between the Clipper Classic and the Clipper CR.

NCT is a coating. VPS is something in the glue layer to make the glue harder. I also don't know if that is real or smoke and mirrors. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
CR is an "Ultra Violet Light" treatment. It is not a coating. My experience is, if it does anything, it is so little that most people, if they are honest about it, can't tell the difference between the Clipper Classic and the Clipper CR.

NCT is a coating. VPS is something in the glue layer to make the glue harder. I also don't know if that is real or smoke and mirrors. :)

According to discussion that I read, it is a substance that is spread on the surface of the blade and then it is cured by UV. So it is some kind of coating that is hardened / dried by UV light.

It is like you go to dentist and when they put a filling on your tooth and then it was cured (hardened) by UV light.

Think of it this way: if you hold your bare blade under the sun (source of UV light), can it be harder? No. So they must apply some substance (coating / varnish in this case) and then the UV light harden it.

Regarding the feeling of Clipper Wood vs Clipper CR, I have one each with the same weight and there are small differences: Clipper CR feels harder and a bit faster. But I can use both blades almost without any adjustment

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

According to discussion that I read, it is a substance that is spread on the surface of the blade and then it is cured by UV. So it is some kind of coating that is hardened / dried by UV light.

It is like you go to dentist and when they put a filling on your tooth and then it was cured (hardened) by UV light.

Think of it this way: if you hold your bare blade under the sun (source of UV light), can it be harder? No. So they must apply some substance (coating / varnish in this case) and then the UV light harden it.

Regarding the feeling of Clipper Wood vs Clipper CR, I have one each with the same weight and there are small differences: Clipper CR feels harder and a bit faster. But I can use both blades almost without any adjustment

With your Clipper CR, when the rubbers are not on, if you put your hand on the surface of the wood, do you feel a coating?

I always just assumed the UV light "treatment" was something like, when they heat treat a wood ply, which makes it dry out more, removes more moisture; this would make it slightly lighter and a little crisper.....I don't really know about harder.

If you had 10 Clipper Classics and 10 Clipper CRs, you would be better able to compare and see if they really play differently. But my memory of the Clipper CR I had, there was not something added on top of the wood. They were not a layer. There was nothing like a sealant. It was wood. And I definitely had a Clipper CR that played softer and slower than either of my Clipper Classics. But I also tried one a friend had, and it felt more crisp than one of my two Clippers. My Clipper that was 95 grams, nothing felt as crisp as that one. :)

But, if you can show the layer of film on top of the top ply of your Clipper CR, I would love to see that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
With your Clipper CR, when the rubbers are not on, if you put your hand on the surface of the wood, do you feel a coating?

I always just assumed the UV light "treatment" was something like, when they heat treat a wood ply, which makes it dry out more, removes more moisture; this would make it slightly lighter and a little crisper.....I don't really know about harder.

If you had 10 Clipper Classics and 10 Clipper CRs, you would be better able to compare and see if they really play differently. But my memory of the Clipper CR I had, there was not something added on top of the wood. They were not a layer. There was nothing like a sealant. It was wood. And I definitely had a Clipper CR that played softer and slower than either of my Clipper Classics. But I also tried one a friend had, and it felt more crisp than one of my two Clippers. My Clipper that was 95 grams, nothing felt as crisp as that one. :)

But, if you can show the layer of film on top of the top ply of your Clipper CR, I would love to see that.

Regarding Clipper CR, yes, the 3/4 part (from top of the blade) the surface felt different than the 1/4 part (lower part to handle) of the blade. It is not only visible on Clipper CR, but also on my Allround CR and Offensive CR (both normal and WRB type).

Currently I have sealed all my blades and sand paper them so they feel evenly smooth, but before I did that, the UV treatment part and the non treatment part felt different. For all who read this who might be confused, well, Stiga CR (allround, Offensive, Clipper) only have the UV treatment on large part of the blade (but not on all the area of the surface). That's why, before sealing, I can feel the difference in surface texture between the treated part and non treated part.

Regarding harder feeling on Clipper CR, yes, I felt that. But I only compared 3 Clipper Wood (84 grams, 90 grams and 95 grams) with 1 Clipper CR (84 grams). I have not tried any other Clipper. Oh, I borrowed Clipper CC once, but it felt like ordinary Clipper Wood, just a bit stiffer due the differences in weight.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl