New to short pips (forehand, shakehand)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you can youtube it pretty well!

I have played a long time with short pimple on forehand and have had the same coaches as Falck and even better an old chinese penhold short pimple player as coach. I have some pointers:

- Take the ball at the highest point
- move well, stay low and close to the table so you can take the ball at the highest point and stay low
- if you come incorrect to the ball you can only lift it
- open racket angle
- Flat hit but still hit a bit on the bottom of the ball and go bit up and down to create some arc
- start the stroke a little earlier so you can borrow the opponent power and stop the stroke at impact so you get an flat hit - you need to have a short contact with the ball. To long and the ball will sink on the rubber.
- so try to move the body first, and stop right before your hips are pointing forward then your forarm will follow, snap it, but do not let the elbow go too much infront
- always need to be active even in blocking, just block as you do with backside is to unsafe.
- When blocking you can focus more on just moving the body a little and when smashing harder yourself try to also move forearm fast

When you have done one smash the next one need to be much harder or slower, If you smash the same tempo they will just find a good distance and put the ball back.

I am around 185 and Falck even taller. We are to big and slow to play too much forehand so need too use backhand aswell.

Flicking hard with is difficult with short pimple. I think it is wiser to do like sneak-flicks: so alwyas go in like you do push and then turn the racket over depending on how much spin.

It is proably easier if you send a video and we can give you feedback. Maybe you also can send your video to nordictabletennis and pay for analysis.
Johnny Huang i think is better at smashing than Falck. Falck is more backhandoriented.

Good Luck

says I buy too much equipment
says I buy too much equipment
Jul 2019

I have played a long time with short pimple on forehand and have had the same coaches as Falck and even better an old chinese penhold short pimple player as coach. I have some pointers:

- move well, stay low and close to the table so you can take the ball at the highest point and stay low
- open racket angle
- Flat hit but still hit a bit on the bottom of the ball and go bit up and down to create some arc
- start the stroke a little earlier so you can borrow the opponent power and stop the stroke at impact so you get an flat hit - you need to have a short contact with the ball. To long and the ball will sink on the rubber.
- so try to move the body first, and stop right before your hips are pointing forward then your forarm will follow, snap it, but do not let the elbow go too much infront
- always need to be active even in blocking, just block as you do with backside is to unsafe.
- When blocking you can focus more on just moving the body a little and when smashing harder yourself try to also move forearm fast

When you have done one smash the next one need to be much harder or slower, If you smash the same tempo they will just find a good distance and put the ball back.

I am around 185 and Falck even taller. We are to big and slow to play too much forehand so need too use backhand aswell.

Flicking hard with is difficult with short pimple. I think it is wiser to do like sneak-flicks: so alwyas go in like you do push and then turn the racket over depending on how much spin.

It is proably easier if you send a video and we can give you feedback. Maybe you also can send your video to nordictabletennis and pay for analysis.
Johnny Huang i think is better at smashing than Falck. Falck is more backhandoriented.

Good Luck

Not the OP but greatful for your tips as I recently switched to SP FH too. Most of the things you mentioned I tend to do pretty naturally ever since I switched I think. Only point I haven’t given much thought is switching up the pace after a smash. At my level most of my opponents usually can’t get the ball over the net after a couple of fast smashes/counter hits, they just don’t have the footwork or speed to get ready for a lot of fast and low balls in a row. I’ll keep this in mind when I face a stronger player for sure.

As for videos on short pips. Haven’t found much tutorials, there is a pretty basic one on Ma Long Fanmade Channel: https://youtu.be/T5XrEhi55EY

A player I like to watch is Maxim Cherepnin, obviously not on the level of Falck but I like his style with the FH (he plays SP on both wings).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hello all, I’m trying short pips on FH (shakehand) for the first time.

im looking for learning materials on how-to develop a working smash and a working flick.

I have watched some games by mattias falck/karlsson so far, but I’m hoping for more tutorial videos

Many thanks in advance

I think you would gain a lot from looking a He zhi wen. Of course he is a penholder but you will see the sort of tempo to play with sp and how aggressive but controlled placement is the key to sp attack.
Though every one talks about flat hitting with sp, its important to always put a little topspin on your counter drives to ensure your technique is safe.
I think moristo is a good modern high performance rubber to start with
good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Not always! Think about it! The ball will bounce up about 80% of the height from which it is hit IF the ball is dropped or hit horizontally. If the ball is hit down into the table the ball will bounce up even higher. If you don't win the point with your shot then the ball will bounce up too high and the opponent can kill it.
SPs don't generate a low of top spin especially if the incoming ball has a lot of top spin. The means the ball will not bounce out at the opponent low and fast after the bounce like it does after a good loop so avoid hitting the ball down into the table.

If the ball is high enough to kill then do so but remember that if you hit the ball down into the table it will bounce up higher. I find that SP players that hit the ball almost horizontally low and flat over the net is most annoying. Since the ball is hit from a low position it doesn't bounce up above net height. Also, balls that are hit low and flat at about net height are usually hit earlier giving the opponent less time to react. Also, it is possible to get wider angle shots.

So, it depends.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Not always! Think about it! The ball will bounce up about 80% of the height from which it is hit IF the ball is dropped or hit horizontally. If the ball is hit down into the table the ball will bounce up even higher. If you don't win the point with your shot then the ball will bounce up too high and the opponent can kill it.
SPs don't generate a low of top spin especially if the incoming ball has a lot of top spin. The means the ball will not bounce out at the opponent low and fast after the bounce like it does after a good loop so avoid hitting the ball down into the table.

If the ball is high enough to kill then do so but remember that if you hit the ball down into the table it will bounce up higher. I find that SP players that hit the ball almost horizontally low and flat over the net is most annoying. Since the ball is hit from a low position it doesn't bounce up above net height. Also, balls that are hit low and flat at about net height are usually hit earlier giving the opponent less time to react. Also, it is possible to get wider angle shots.

So, it depends.
Yes, i agree! I kind of enjoy your more engineer like post asweell but this was good since I understood what you meant haha.

I think many beginners I coach have this problem. That they take the ball at the highest point and do not make any power so the ball just becomes high and soft. I think if you want to block more you can try to take it earlier but for smash I think it is better at the highest or just before. Or maybe we mean the same thing. The purpose for me to hit the the ball at the highest point is to be able to smash with some kind of margin for error, but as long as the ball is a bit higher then the net i think it is good as well. Lower than the net it will be difficult to flat hit.

I am a bit interested in the engineering part for better angle if the ball is hit when it is lower. From experience I find the difference and that the angle is not there if the ball is too low. But I am to bad at physics and math to discuss it in those terms.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011

- open racket angle

Good Luck

Hi Lula

Thank you so much for sharing.

After having played with short pimples for a month now, what you said there is really starting to make sense.

I will try to record myself and upload!