should I buy a duplicate blade or a different blade for backup

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
get the same as a backup as the original.
If you buy something else, even though it might be similar you will open a can of worms.
You will forever change rubbers to find the proper match with your original, you might have to
change the angles of your blade etc .
Do what Timo does, get 5 identical blades, the same weight etc..........................I am just kidding

This user has no status.
get the same as a backup as the original.
If you buy something else, even though it might be similar you will open a can of worms.
You will forever change rubbers to find the proper match with your original, you might have to
change the angles of your blade etc .
Do what Timo does, get 5 identical blades, the same weight etc..........................I am just kidding

I see. So the correct answer is to sell my kidney and go into poverty. (Jokes aside thanks!)

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I don't think you will need a backup of anything if you are not playing in a professional tournament. Maybe after one year after you change your timo boll alc use the old one for training and new one for league I am saying that because most of the carbon blades change characteristics after one year and its not really recommended to use them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I agree you don't really need a breakup if you don't play professionally. Maybe get a cheap Walmart type of bat so you can finish the match in case something happens but a bat breaking happens so rarely that you Don't need a same Quality backup, if once every 3 years your bat breaks you just lose the match and get a new bat for the next match:)
​​​​​

This user has no status.
I agree you don't really need a breakup if you don't play professionally. Maybe get a cheap Walmart type of bat so you can finish the match in case something happens but a bat breaking happens so rarely that you Don't need a same Quality backup, if once every 3 years your bat breaks you just lose the match and get a new bat for the next match:)
​​​​​
I am not fully professional but I play in district and Beijing semi pro tourneys for my school

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Buy both!!!
you’ll have your back up, and another to have some fun with!!

Always good to have some fun 😁
I use my top quality blade for singles and something similar but cheaper for doubles. At my level there can be moments
when I hit my blade against a partners blade or the edge of the table.
This can happen to anybody I assume, my coach showed me his Timo/blade with one heck of a triangle missing on the edge. 😩

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Look into buying a Yinhe v14 pro or Sanwei f3 pro, i think both are analogues of tb alc anyway, Kiri core, limba and alc. To be extra you could even request one of the same weight. Both blades will probably be indistinguishable if you have the same rubbers. Both are dirt cheap in comparison and are perfect for a backup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I don't think you will need a backup of anything if you are not playing in a professional tournament. Maybe after one year after you change your timo boll alc use the old one for training and new one for league I am saying that because most of the carbon blades change characteristics after one year and its not really recommended to use them.

Can you explain further on why most carbon blades change characteristics after one year so drastically that it is not recommended to use them?
And why only carbon blades and not all-wood blades?

This user has no status.
I am not fully professional but I play in district and Beijing semi pro tourneys for my school
If you are happy with your present blade, I'd buy an identical one as a backup instead of the different blade you mentioned. You'll have it for tournaments, and it is the best way to compare different rubbers where one of the blades can have your present rubber setup, and use the other blade to test new rubbers with.

Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm planning to get a backup blade recently. I have the option between a Timo Boll ALC (same as the one I use now), or a Butterfly Petr Korbel. which one should I go for, and why?
Thanks so much!

I just want you to know, if you are playing in district and Beijing tournaments, you are probably 2x or 3x as good as the people who are trying to give you advice. Still, the advice from yoass is good and likely the most useful thing you will get here. :)
Well, if you're aiming for a backup, then get a backup.

If you're itching to have a go with other blades, then diversify.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'm planning to get a backup blade recently. I have the option between a Timo Boll ALC (same as the one I use now), or a Butterfly Petr Korbel. which one should I go for, and why?
Thanks so much!

I say do what you want.

It is possible to have a back bat that is something suitable to you that you are familiar and comfortable with.

In a big tourney last year, I broke my main bat, a Nittaku blade that was out of production for 10-20 yrs ago... I busted out a Tibhar Akkad and went to war with it just fine. It had familiar rubbers and blade was familiar/suitable.

Do what you think is best for you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I mean I played in one Beijing amateurs tournament and one district tourney for my school as a backup that ended up replacing one of the players. I lost both miserably. Most of my tournaments are in my school or with other schools, so I’m actually a noob in Chinese standards. Sorry to anyone who misunderstood.

For further explanation, I am 14 and I play amateur. All the pro players in China start at 4-7, I started at 12 so no chance for me. The tourneys in my school are challenging for me and I usually take around 12th place in my grade because most others are pro and they are top 50 in Beijing. I have a friend who is 1st in Beijing and one who has a national champion title. Also Deng Yaping’s son used to study and play in my school so I die instantly.
TLDR: I’m worse than most people here and thanks for advice

I’m 14 and I play mostly amateur. All Chinese pros start at 4-7 yrs but I started at 12 so I’m actually a noob and worse than most people here. :D

Whether you realize it or not, you are still probably a higher level than a large percentage of the members of this forum.

This user has no status.

Whether you realize it or not, you are still probably a higher level than a large percentage of the members of this forum.

Thank you! That’s very encouraging especially right now while I’m recovering from a leg surgery. Miss playing forehand top spins. :D