Do You Use Tacky or Non-Tacky?

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

alright, didn’t think that through. just so you know, we are both from malaysia

Hai Kawan,

Dok kot mano?

Gue korang Nogori. Dek korang mano?

( Translation for my international friends: Hello Friend, Where do you stay. I am from State of Negeri. Brother, where do you live? )

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Mar 2021
Since this is a tacky rubber thread, please allow me to ask here:

Is there a reliable website that compare the tackiness of rubber? I used to refer to Revspin's table but some veteran members here commented that Revspin's is not reliable and that cast doubt upon me.

OK, to be specific, I am thinking between H2, H3, Skyline 2, Skyline 3, H8, G888 et al ( within DHS family for ease of comparison ).

Anyone can assist?

p/s My standard go to tacky rubber is of course the ubiquitous H3 or neoH3, then I discovered neoH2 and now going to test H2. My EJ syndrome in me is curious abt the rest: Skyline series and H8.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Since this is a tacky rubber thread, please allow me to ask here:

Is there a reliable website that compare the tackiness of rubber? I used to refer to Revspin's table but some veteran members here commented that Revspin's is not reliable and that cast doubt upon me.

OK, to be specific, I am thinking between H2, H3, Skyline 2, Skyline 3, H8, G888 et al ( within DHS family for ease of comparison ).

Anyone can assist?

p/s My standard go to tacky rubber is of course the ubiquitous H3 or neoH3, then I discovered neoH2 and now going to test H2. My EJ syndrome in me is curious abt the rest: Skyline series and H8.
H2 is faster than H3 and H3 is tackier and more controlled. The skyline 2 is fast for super aggro third ball attacks (designed for Ma Lin) while the Skyline 3 is made to bounce back faster for quick and continuous rallies. The Neo series are pre boosted and faster than normal so they don’t have to be boosted. G888 is a cheaper version of the H family I think. The H8 is a faster but heavier and less spinny version of the H3. The H8-80 is the new H8 that fits backhand use more.
Just my understanding, maybe summon Carl he should know.
Hope this helps!

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I haven't used all the DHS rubbers!!! but have tried a few of them.
those used -
H3 (commercial)
H3 (national blue sponge)
H3 Neo
H3 Neo (provincial)
H8 (hard)
H8-80
Skyline 3 (provincial blue sponge)

For tackiness my personal appraisal would be - (most tacky 1st) bear in mind batches of rubbers can vary, and actually saying that 'x' has more than 'y' is difficult as they may all 'hold ' a ball for very similar durations
H3
H3Neo
Skyline 3 (provincial blue sponge)
= H3 Neo (provincial) H8 (hard) H8-80, H3 (national blue sponge)

Reactions: yousuhika and latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
I use Chinese tacky rubbers on forehand - H3 (Neo) prov and Skyline 3 BS - and Euro/Jap/Korean grippy rubbers on backhand (my favourites at the moment Tenergy 05FX, Rhyzm P, Vega Japan). There is nothing better than H3 (and the like) for short game, serving and aggressive looping. On my backhand I need a bit more bounce.

Mar 2021
Oh no, my EJ syndrome is acting up again.

This time is my DHS Long V where FH is Nittaku G1 and BH is Rakza 7.

I want to peel them off and put on tacky rubber.

I have in my mind black DHS Skyline 2 mid hard for FH

Now for BH I am a bit in a dilemma between using Skyline 3-60 or just Skyline 3 ( both soft version ).

Anyone care to comment?

This user has no status.

Now for BH I am a bit in a dilemma between using Skyline 3-60 or just Skyline 3 ( both soft version ).

Anyone care to comment?

You have to consider how you play. The Skyline series is a variant of the hurricane series. That both have similar properties. Skyline 2 was designed specially for “one shot kill” players like Ma Lin, who focus more on blowing the opponent off the table with one massive fast shot. Skyline three is more of a steady and controlled rubber that has a sponge designed to bounce back faster to support a higher hitting frequency( a very fast rally). The Skyline 3 has less speed than the 2 but more than an H3. I think your choice would be okay because forehand usually is more powerful and capable of bringing out the potential of the 2, while back hand tends to hit more frequently but with less power.
Decision is yours.

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
Mar 2021

You have to consider how you play. The Skyline series is a variant of the hurricane series. That both have similar properties. Skyline 2 was designed specially for “one shot kill” players like Ma Lin, who focus more on blowing the opponent off the table with one massive fast shot. Skyline three is more of a steady and controlled rubber that has a sponge designed to bounce back faster to support a higher hitting frequency( a very fast rally). The Skyline 3 has less speed than the 2 but more than an H3. I think your choice would be okay because forehand usually is more powerful and capable of bringing out the potential of the 2, while back hand tends to hit more frequently but with less power.
Decision is yours.

Thank you friend.

Anyway I will try out. The good thing about these chinese tacky rubber is their price is so economical compared to euro tensor rubber hence I can afford to experiment.

Just on a side note, my country was on lockdown from Mar to Oct this year, that is half a year of no TT! When I came back to TT I felt that I would need some form of tech assistance ( Tensor ) to get me into TT again.

Now I felt my stroke are getting better and with confidence coming back, I want to get back to hard tacky rubber. Have I ever mention that I really love the linear feeling of chinese tacky rubber. The feedback is awesome. Luv it, luv it, luv it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Anyone care to comment?

Skyline 2 is hard to engage into the sponge because it has the hardest topsheet in all DHS rubber.

Pros - excellent short game, extremely spinny short serve, excellent placement

Cons - full swing required in topspin, slower recovery, slow far from table

If you had a long break from tacky rubber Skyline 3 is way easier to pick up

Reactions: Gozo Aruna
Mar 2021
Skyline 2 is hard to engage into the sponge because it has the hardest topsheet in all DHS rubber.

Pros - excellent short game, extremely spinny short serve, excellent placement

Cons - full swing required in topspin, slower recovery, slow far from table

If you had a long break from tacky rubber Skyline 3 is way easier to pick up

Thank you friend for your insight.

Your input is very helpful. I will put Skyline 2 on FH and Skyline 3-60 on BH on my DHS Long V. Waiting for 12.12 for those online platform ( e.g. Lazada / Shopee ) to have their sales day again to get discount / free shipping. I hope this set up works out for me.

Reactions: yousuhika
Mar 2021

Decision is yours.

How do I play?

On FH side, I attack all long balls with a slow spinny loop to open up for my second drive kill. If short, I will push back and wait for next opportunity, hopefully the ball will come back to me long, better still if it is a backspin push ( my favourite type of return )

On BH side, same, I will push short to set up. If the returning ball has less spin, I'll do a quick BH counter-topspin to get the point.

I seldom flick coz I am not good at chiquita nor strawberry on either side.

Mar 2021
Non Tacky because I use European short strokes for looping. Tacky rubbers are good for long stroke Chinese brush loops.

I used to believe that to be true as well. However, I have a short stroke as well and I find I like using tacky rubber. So, the statement is perhaps best use as a general guideline and not to be taken as gospel truth.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

I used to believe that to be true as well. However, I have a short stroke as well and I find I like using tacky rubber. So, the statement is perhaps best use as a general guideline and not to be taken as gospel truth.

I use both longer and shorter strokes on my FH depending on how much time I have and if and how much I want to vary speed and spin. Works very well with the H3 even on slower blades like my Sweden Extra. Or we could look at the female top players from China, Japan or Korea that quite often use H3 Blue Sponge on their forehands. Liang Jingkun also uses both short, compact and long strokes and he uses H3 on both fore- and backhand.
Of course further away from the table one needs longer strokes when playing with the H3 or other tacky rubbers to put the opponent under enough pressure but this doesn't bother me. I'm simply not as fast on my feet (but neither slow) than I was 30 years ago to cover such large areas effectively so I resort to lobbing or use some chops/slices to prepare getting back closer to the table if necessary.