the production date of the rubber.. does it really matter ?

says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
hello guys.
i wonder if you know how important is the production date of a rubber ?
suppose if it's preserved in good condition but manufactured 2 years ago , would it be possible to lose some characteristics or quality ? or lose its age?
recently i got 2 sheets of MX-S but seemed to be produced 2 years ago.
I hope to get informative feedback .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Rubber loses its elasticity over time.
I have very old paddle, 50 years old. I haven't played with it since 1972. Now topsheet is hard like anti and he sponge is brittle. Your rubber isn't that old but is getting older day by data.
BTW, it is a Butterfly Cypress X with D13 soft rubber.

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. What BrokenBall said. Air is the enemy of rubber. The rubber oxidizes and then loses elasticity. Think about a rubber band that is sitting on your shelf for a few years. It has not been used. It looks the same. But when you stretch it, it does not stretch. Instead it tears and breaks. Or, how BrokenBall described those old sheets of rubber from the 1970s.

After 2 years, you might not notice the difference without comparison. But if you had a sheet that came out of the factory within a month or two and one that was produced two years ago and hit with them side by side, you would be able to clearly feel the difference between the two.

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
Rubber loses its elasticity over time.
I have very old paddle, 50 years old. I haven't played with it since 1972. Now topsheet is hard like anti and he sponge is brittle. Your rubber isn't that old but is getting older day by data.
BTW, it is a Butterfly Cypress X with D13 soft rubber.

I mean it's packaged and sealed, not opened and left for long time

Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
Yep. What BrokenBall said. Air is the enemy of rubber. The rubber oxidizes and then loses elasticity. Think about a rubber band that is sitting on your shelf for a few years. It has not been used. It looks the same. But when you stretch it, it does not stretch. Instead it tears and breaks. Or, how BrokenBall described those old sheets of rubber from the 1970s.

After 2 years, you might not notice the difference without comparison. But if you had a sheet that came out of the factory within a month or two and one that was produced two years ago and hit with them side by side, you would be able to clearly feel the difference between the two.

i am sure that the fresh rubber from factory have better feeling, but if the rubber still packaged how it could oxidizes ? is it serious difference ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You also have to keep in mind that Evolution rubbers like MXS have something that people seem to call factory tuning or factory boosting on them. What the chemical is, I don't really know. But most people seem to report a drop off in performance after 3 weeks to a month. Some people don't mind that drop off. I like the way MXP plays after it has lost the boost effect. But if the rubber is sitting on a shelf for 2 years, packaging or not, it will likely have lost most or all of that feeling of aliveness that those rubbers have when they are brand new.

If you don't mind any of that, it should still play like a pretty good rubber.

But it won't play quite how it did after being fresh from the factory.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

i am sure that the fresh rubber from factory have better feeling, but if the rubber still packaged how it could oxidizes ? is it serious difference ?

Is there NO air in the packaging? If there is no air in the packaging, we could talk. But there is air in the packaging.

Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
You also have to keep in mind that Evolution rubbers like MXS have something that people seem to call factory tuning or factory boosting on them. What the chemical is, I don't really know. But most people seem to report a drop off in performance after 3 weeks to a month. Some people don't mind that drop off. I like the way MXP plays after it has lost the boost effect. But if the rubber is sitting on a shelf for 2 years, packaging or not, it will likely have lost most or all of that feeling of aliveness that those rubbers have when they are brand new.

If you don't mind any of that, it should still play like a pretty good rubber.

But it won't play quite how it did after being fresh from the factory.
good elaboration, actually i don't mind the slight alteration in speed due to factory tuning lost, but may major concern is the general characteristics of the rubber from topsheet, gripness, spin value etc.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
good elaboration, actually i don't mind the slight alteration in speed due to factory tuning lost, but may major concern is the general characteristics of the rubber from topsheet, gripness, spin value etc.
Then you will be fine with the fact that there will be some degradation of play quality but the rubbers will still be usable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
It also depends on how this table tennis racket was taken care of this time. Your racket should be protected at all times as the rubber will naturally begin to deteriorate once in use. Dirt, dust and oil will accumulate on the surface during play. It is necessary to clean your table tennis rubber during play as well as after each playing session.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It also depends on how this table tennis racket was taken care of this time. Your racket should be protected at all times as the rubber will naturally begin to deteriorate once in use. Dirt, dust and oil will accumulate on the surface during play. It is necessary to clean your table tennis rubber during play as well as after each playing session.
It is possible you missed a detail. He is talking about rubber, still in the packaging, that has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years and has not yet been put on a racket.

• Wow
Reactions: zaw thwe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Maybe we should ask that the "born on" date be no more that 2 months old. I bet many TT suppliers have shelves of old TT rubbers that are old because they are no longer the latest fad.
I think I would be p!$$ed to find out that I paid $80+ for a two year old T05.
Perhaps we should demand that rubbers are discounted as a function of their age.
I know that some of the rubbers I have come in plastic wrappings but the wrappings have round holes in them the size of paper punches.
If there WERE any boosting done to the rubber, it wouldn't matter because the gases in the rubber foam would have equalized with the atmosphere.

Reactions: JeffM
Ohh hell a rubber in its package lasts for years, I have no problem buying a couple of years old rubber. Besides where do you think the sales comes from?
When I played for real I didn't change rubbers for years and they were a little worn but elastic, just couldn't afford to.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Also the storing conditions play a role. If it was stored dark, medium to slightly cool temp (15-25 Celsius) and vacuum sealed it will hold quite long but if it was subject to sunlight (like in a shop window) and/or changing temperature it might age faster.