2021 China Trials for WTTC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
I hope i didnt miss an existing thread about this.
In case i didnt - for those who dont know MALONG Fanmade Channel streams the event which counts as preparation for the WTTC.

Some thoughts so far:
- I am happy to see a normal and better format than the running WTT Contender with their crap-angle, questionable commentation and even worse production.
- We can see Ma Long and Xu Xin in action though they wont participate in WTTC.
- In Ma Longs last match i even had the feeling he doesnt even took his opponent serious. He was playing really defensive and didnt even go into a deep stance quite often. So far i never saw Ma Long play like this, but it was damn fun to watch.

So, what are your impressions and thoughts about this event so far?

Reactions: JeffM and Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
I hope i didnt miss an existing thread about this.
- In Ma Longs last match i even had the feeling he doesnt even took his opponent serious. He was playing really defensive and didnt even go into a deep stance quite often. So far i never saw Ma Long play like this, but it was damn fun to watch.

Completely agree: really seemed like he wasn't trying from the very start. At first I thought he was injured and couldn't move at full pace, but then it became apparent he just didn't deem it necessary.

I'll be curious to see how much he will continue to use reverse pendulum in more important matches . It also served him well in a super League game when he switched to it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
- We can see Ma Long and Xu Xin in action though they wont participate in WTTC.- In Ma Longs last match i even had the feeling he doesnt even took his opponent serious. He was playing really defensive and didnt even go into a deep stance quite often. So far i never saw Ma Long play like this, but it was damn fun to watch.So, what are your impressions and thoughts about this event so far?

It is interesting to see ML and XX in action despite them not taking part in WTTC.
There isn't much incentive for the seniors to play hard. This can be seen in XX's match against Xu Fei, it almost feels like XX is not motivated (not chasing after balls) and he doesn't really care about win / lose. From ML game against Xu Hai Dong, the skill difference is too big, ML is just practicing his lobs, blocks and reverse serves. It will be interesting if ML wins the whole event but he isnt attending WTTC lol.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

It is interesting to see ML and XX in action despite them not taking part in WTTC.
There isn't much incentive for the seniors to play hard. This can be seen in XX's match against Xu Fei, it almost feels like XX is not motivated (not chasing after balls) and he doesn't really care about win / lose. From ML game against Xu Hai Dong, the skill difference is too big, ML is just practicing his lobs, blocks and reverse serves. It will be interesting if ML wins the whole event but he isnt attending WTTC lol.

True. But i dont think he can win like this against FZD. I guess FZD will take this event. He seems to take this way more serious and i dont think Ma Long will want to go all out trying to defeat FZD. The risk and pressure on his body is just not worth it for a warmup event like this.

Btw anyone noticed the oldschool highthrow serves from FZD? These looked the way he served when he was around 18. Really curious if he is going to start to vary his way of serving.

This user has no status.
I think Ma Long is pissed off because CTTA didn't select him to play for the world championship. what is the reason to play seriously in this warmup event if you (the 3 times defending champion and olympic winner) are not going to play in the realt WTTC?
I could understand XX not been selected but ML has proven to be the best player in the CNT... that should really hurt to him

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
I think Ma Long is pissed off because CTTA didn't select him to play for the world championship. what is the reason to play seriously in this warmup event if you (the 3 times defending champion and olympic winner) are not going to play in the realt WTTC?
I could understand XX not been selected but ML has proven to be the best player in the CNT... that should really hurt to him

That is just plainly wrong: https://pingsunday.com/is-ma-long-forced-to-retire/#Ma_Longs_surprise_decision
On top of that many forget that he is not 20 anymore and already have several issues with his body. Playing several trials, olympia on top of training is really tiring.

In addition Ma Long is the captain of the CNT, so he is definitly not pissed. And he has to play to warm up his teammates and that goes for Xu Xin as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

I can't say with certainty if Ma or Xu will participate in future Major competitions for the CNT, but I think with their omission from the WTTC team and them partaking in this insignificant WTTC trial (I used that adjective cah the players are already selected, so this tournament is trivial), We can see that the focus is on training the next gen and ML, XX have to contribute more in that process too, One thing we ignore is that in CTTA meetings, ML and XX frequently participated as "Players' representatives", so they already have a say in bureaucratic decisions, And they are already geared to go the way of LGL, WH in my opinion. So Ma Long may personally wish to play but he has a wealth of political opportunities and influence waiting in the wing for him in China once he retires so it's better he cooperates with the team leadership imo.

Reactions: Attitude