Soft or hard rubber?

Wasn't there something like that hard rubbers are a bit "dead" if you hit softly but very powerful when you are strong enough to compress the sponge with your hit?

I read that softer rubbers give you more catapult when you hit softly than hard rubber because their spine easily, engages but when you hit hard you don't get more of a spring effect because the rubber "bottoms out".

So basically if you hit soft the softer sponge creates more catapult but if you hit hard the hard one does.

Or is that wrong?

Yep, this is basically right, but in the end if You can handle it You normally get more out of a hard rubber. So take me for instance, my Rakza 7 soft will bottom out when I hit really hard, this is not so good. But I don't hit really hard much. For me it is important to have confidence in the slow game.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
zeio can't get his fact straight and copies documents he doesn't understand. The latest case shows his ignorance of static and dynamic friction.
You guys can remain ignorant if you want. I am sure there are a few that want to learn. After 10 years on TT forums the same topics come up time and time again because no one squelches the myths that get perpetuated here.

There are too many people with opinions and no facts. They like to talk big but actually know little.
The player generates the power, not the equipment.
The player has control, not the equipment.
My simple proof. If you give your paddle to a pro, does the paddle actually gain power and control? Does the paddle lose power and control when the pro gives his paddle back to you? The simple answer is no. The control and power are generated by the person holding the paddle.

Put a paddle on the table. Does it have speed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Then why doesn't a pro use the cheapest blade and rubbers if he has all the power and control already?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think pros don't need controlled material, they train 30 hours a week so they can use fast material and learn to control it.

But if you train 3 hours a week and you are not super talented you might need a more controlled and less powerful material.
​​​​​​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
I think pros don't need controlled material, they train 30 hours a week so they can use fast material and learn to control it.

But if you train 3 hours a week and you are not super talented you might need a more controlled and less powerful material.
​​​​​​

do you think Tibhar Stratus Power Wood is controlled?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

​​​​​​

According to some there is no fast or slow gear. It's all about the player!

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Literal engineer: Blades don't generate power unless you burn them. Players do.
Literal player: Players don't generate power unless you burn them. 💀

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

It certainly has related properties. Drop a ball on two blades from the same height, and the rebound height might vary.

Mount two blades on a moving object - eg attach them to a spinning fan at the same angle. Again, drop a ball. Results may vary - rebound height, angle, rpm of rebounding ball.

Vary angles. Vary fan speed. Results diverge.

There are properties in terms of rebound that distinguish blades. Velocity and rotation differ.

Yes, static and dynamic friction, perpendicular versus tangential contact; all true. Yet, vive la différence - people feel different responses from different blades and attach concepts meaningful to them.

IHBT!

Reactions: SamTheMan
Jan 2018
You have to be literal, yoass. The blade has a speed of 460m/s at rest. The table also has a speed of 460m/s at rest. Everyone has a speed of 460m/s at rest. All because the surface of the earth is moving at 460m/s.

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
zeio can't get his fact straight and copies documents he doesn't understand. The latest case shows his ignorance of static and dynamic friction.
You guys can remain ignorant if you want. I am sure there are a few that want to learn. After 10 years on TT forums the same topics come up time and time again because no one squelches the myths that get perpetuated here.

There are too many people with opinions and no facts. They like to talk big but actually know little.
The player generates the power, not the equipment.
The player has control, not the equipment.
My simple proof. If you give your paddle to a pro, does the paddle actually gain power and control? Does the paddle lose power and control when the pro gives his paddle back to you? The simple answer is no. The control and power are generated by the person holding the paddle.

it seems brokenball broke, someone try turning him off and on again

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

Wasn't there something like that hard rubbers are a bit "dead" if you hit softly but very powerful when you are strong enough to compress the sponge with your hit?

It's not exactly about whether you are strong enough. If you hit straight on too hard, soft rubber gets overdone with its sponge, then the spin is killed. you have a very flat shot. But it's NOT gonna be slow. But if you always brush very thin, you may prefer softer rubbers. Because hard rubber has the opposite problem. the sponge doesn't get compressed well enough if the brush is too thin. Also remember thin or hard is sometimes not just about the direction of your shot but also about how firm you are at contact.

Modern professional table tennis is very very aggressive. So you see almost all world class players play with hard rubbers. Because they spin a lot while still hitting very hard. Your physical ability is only a small part of it.

Most of power in table tennis is acquired by so-called explosiveness, meaning you relax as long as you can and "explodes" only at closer to contact as you can. It's technical. your physical capacity is only a part of it. A lot of healthy players hit very very hard but the ball doesn't go very fast, only sometimes. Because by the time they make the contact, it may be not as hard as a guy seemingly doing tai-chi stuff. In most cases, You shouldn't think whether you're "strong" enough.