the best feeling all wood blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
I am looking for an all-wood blade that has really good or satisfying feeling that is OFF-/OFF which has more emphasis on spinny shots and do not have much vibration but still with a solid response. since I have been using carbon blades for nearly my whole life, I do not know where to start. So I would like to know what's the best feeling all-wood blade that you guys have tried, and do you guys have any suggestions so I can take a look at.

This user has no status.
I am looking for an all-wood blade that has really good or satisfying feeling that is OFF-/OFF which has more emphasis on spinny shots and do not have much vibration but still with a solid response. since I have been using carbon blades for nearly my whole life, I do not know where to start. So I would like to know what's the best feeling all-wood blade that you guys have tried, and do you guys have any suggestions so I can take a look at.

Best feeling imo are the 1-ply Darker Speed 90 and Darker Imperial 2020. Unbelievable feeling of solid kiso hinoki wood. They are great for hard shots, as well as soft shots, due to the unique characteristics of the wood. No vibrations, which is either good or bad, depending on what you are looking for. Is supposed to be very good for looping, although I can't say from personal experience as that is not my game. Having said that, it is not a good option for the majority of players as it is very thick (9mm), more fragile than a normal blade, and quite expensive. Also it is classified as an Off+ blade. Just throwing it out there in case it suites what you are looking for...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021

Best feeling imo are the 1-ply Darker Speed 90 and Darker Imperial 2020. Unbelievable feeling of solid kiso hinoki wood. They are great for hard shots, as well as soft shots, due to the unique characteristics of the wood. No vibrations, which is either good or bad, depending on what you are looking for. Is supposed to be very good for looping, although I can't say from personal experience as that is not my game. Having said that, it is not a good option for the majority of players as it is very thick (9mm), more fragile than a normal blade, and quite expensive. Also it is classified as an Off+ blade. Just throwing it out there in case it suites what you are looking for...

i tried darker speed 90 before, but just like you mentioned its too thick, its very expensive, and I believe most shops in my area selling fake speed 90s or Darker blades in general

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

If you want to focus on spin game, go for 5-ply.

Since you don’t want vibration, it has to be a hard 5-ply. Hard wood blade takes more effort to generate spin compared to the more springy softer blades such as Acoustic and Violin.

I would recommend Rosewood XO, Ebenzhold V or Arctic Wood.

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
IMO it's going to be hard to balance your requirements. Low vibration is usually achieved with a relatively stiff blade, which usually means faster and push into the OFF+ category.

Contrary to the previous posters recommendations, I would stay away from thick Hinokis and hardwood surface blade. The darker types will have a muted but solid feeling, but will be faster than most carbon blades. Rosewood/Ebony will feel like hollow match boxes, opposite of solid feedback.

For best feeling with a solid response at OFF-, Persson Powerplay is excellent. Although does have a bit of a reverberating feel.

If you don't mind a little faster, thinner multi-ply hinokis can work. Look into Septear.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Petr Korbel 5-ply has been popular for a long time. Maybe one for you to check out.

Reactions: rbtitco
This user has no status.
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There are so many all wood blades that feel great. I love my OSP Virtuoso Plus. One time I felt a friend's Clipper that he has since 1990....that blade had amazing feel. The aging of the wood makes a blade feel better. I felt an Acoustic once that felt really good. Nexy Spear feels awesome. Avalox P-500 also feels great. DHS Hurricane King as well.

But, as with anything made of wood, there will be some blades of the same make (ie some Clippers or any of the other blades mentioned) where one feels amazing and another feels mediocre. I have owned 4 Clippers and tried another 20-25. 3 or 4 of them felt really nice. The rest, eh, not bad but not so great. I have only tried one Virtuoso Plus and it feels amazing to me. But I don't know how any others feel. I have only tried one Nexy Spear. It also feels amazing. But, I can say the same thing as I just said about the V+.

Korbel and Primorac also feel pretty good. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. Xiom Offensive S. Xiom Extreme S.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Darker 5P-2A (5ply Hinoki hybrid), Nexy Tamar V (5ply pure Hinoki). Both these blades are Off- all woods, with great feeling and little vibration. They are very stable since they are both quite thick (6.5mm) yet remain very spinny because of the Hinoki. The Tamara might be difficult to get. Darker 7P-2A (7ply pure Hinoki) might also be an option but its a bit slower than the 5P and the Tamar V. Butterfly Korbel is also great but has more flex. I would stay away from the Avalox P500 because it vibrates quite a lot. I did like it, but it might be too much for you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
One more thing, since everyone feels things differently, each person will like the way different blades feel.

Totally agree ... The perception of Feeling would differ from person-to-person.. Like, I prefer blades with a wee bit vibration..It's what gives me a sense of feeling..

Anyway, do also look at Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition..

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

The Tibhar Lebesson is worth a mention. It's a little different to most 5-ply allwoods as it has mahogany medial plies which give it (I think) a nice feel. It also has a slightly smaller than average face to offset the fact that mahogany is heavier than most other medial plies and keep the balance of the blade low.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I agree that "feeling" is often subjective according to different players preferences, but certain blades do seem to get considerably noted for their feeling.
Personally I too really rate the Fextra. Such a bargain as well. Mine is 90 grams but feels lighter due to the blades balance.
It inspired me to play more confidently somehow.
I also love the Septear which for me, has incredible feeling.
Its perhaps a touch slower than the Fextra, if at all.
I am currently using both and can't choose between them!.
Good luck finding the right one for you Frank......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
There are so many all wood blades that feel great. I love my OSP Virtuoso Plus. One time I felt a friend's Clipper that he has since 1990....that blade had amazing feel. The aging of the wood makes a blade feel better. I felt an Acoustic once that felt really good. Nexy Spear feels awesome. Avalox P-500 also feels great. DHS Hurricane King as well.

But, as with anything made of wood, there will be some blades of the same make (ie some Clippers or any of the other blades mentioned) where one feels amazing and another feels mediocre. I have owned 4 Clippers and tried another 20-25. 3 or 4 of them felt really nice. The rest, eh, not bad but not so great. I have only tried one Virtuoso Plus and it feels amazing to me. But I don't know how any others feel. I have only tried one Nexy Spear. It also feels amazing. But, I can say the same thing as I just said about the V+.

Korbel and Primorac also feel pretty good. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. Xiom Offensive S. Xiom Extreme S.

I've been forcing myself to play with the Virtuoso. For the first 10-20hrs it felt incredibly empty. But with time... Sweat. And tears. Now after that it is slow af, but spinny af. I am pretty sure that I will be able to build the speed on the blade after a while of practice.

My favorite blades for feeling and control:

5 ply all wood blades:

Butterfly Korbel Japan 87 gms
Butterfly Primorac Japan 86 gms
Nittaku Acoustic 86 gms
Xiom Fuga 86 gms
OSP Virtuoso 89 gms
Xiom offensive S 86 gms (slightly wider and flatter grip)

7 ply all wood:

Stiga clipper 90 gms (consistency and control)
DHS Power G9 90 gms
Sanwei Fextra 90 gms (solid feeling)
Sanwei Pro V5 87 gms (hollow feeling)
Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition

Composite:

Nittaku Barwell Fleet - 89 gms
Nittaku S-CZ 86 gms (incredible feeling)
DHS 301 T 87 gms (possibly the best value)
Butterfly Viscaria 87 gms
Butterfly Innerforce ALC 87 gms
Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC.S (very woody) 86 gms
Donic XTreme 87 gms (like Viscaria but better control)