Rubber thickness? Modern rubbers, beginner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Hi!

I did play a lot in the 90s and now I just started to play with my kids who plays in the local TT club. I used BTY Primorac an MarkV's back in the day.
I am now going to buy a Yasaka Sweden Extra with Xiom Vega Intro (I think?!) which sounds like great combo for a beginner (I feel lika beginner again!).

I don´t want to buy Mark V's again even though they are probably still Ok. Is Vega Intro a good choice for a beginner who wants to try modern rubbers?
And what about rubber thickness?? 2.0 on both sides or is it MAX all the way?

Feel free to come with suggestions, I have been away 30 years from the sport..

Kind regards

Kris

Hi!

I did play a lot in the 90s and now I just started to play with my kids who plays in the local TT club. I used BTY Primorac an MarkV's back in the day.
I am now going to buy a Yasaka Sweden Extra with Xiom Vega Intro (I think?!) which sounds like great combo for a beginner (I feel lika beginner again!).

I don´t want to buy Mark V's again even though they are probably still Ok. Is Vega Intro a good choice for a beginner who wants to try modern rubbers?

Kind regards

Kris
How about Rakza 7 (I always recommend this). On that blade it will be OK, If You were any good You won't need a lot of time. I came back after quitting in 1975. A way up to a decent speed after a handful of sessions. 2.0 on both sides is fine. 1.8 is also fine and also max...

B.T.W. A lot of players are still using Mark V and it is the longest lasting rubber I know of...

Cheers
L-zr

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hi, my suggestion/
Blade: Yasaka Sweden classic
Rubbers: Andro Hexer Grip or Butterfly Rozena.

Great cmbination, not to fast with great control.
​​​​​​I use Andro 1.9 om fh and Rozena 1.9 on bh. Both are very similar rubers, Andro is a bit harder with a bit more spin. If you need slower than take just Andro hexer grip SFX....All tested. Good luck from sLOVEnia 🇸🇮👍.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hi!I did play a lot in the 90s and now I just started to play with my kids who plays in the local TT club. I used BTY Primorac an MarkV's back in the day.I am now going to buy a Yasaka Sweden Extra with Xiom Vega Intro (I think?!) which sounds like great combo for a beginner (I feel lika beginner again!).I don´t want to buy Mark V's again even though they are probably still Ok. Is Vega Intro a good choice for a beginner who wants to try modern rubbers?And what about rubber thickness?? 2.0 on both sides or is it MAX all the way?Feel free to come with suggestions, I have been away 30 years from the sport..Kind regardsKris
Incidentally I have a BTY Primorac All-wood as well and my rubbers on it are FH: Donic Bluefire M2 and BH: Donic Baracuda.I have clubmate who uses Xiom Vega but on a Yasaka Ma Lin blade. It is an alright combination, he plays all-round style. Not too aggressive, mainly devious placing pushes and active blocks.A word on Yasaka Mark V. I have this rubber and strictly from my experience, Mark V has passed its useful shelf-life. Perhaps it was an adequate rubber during the 38mm era, however, I find it too weak for the modern 40+mm era. It is only good for blocking or safe passive pushes in my humble opinion. For its price, please look for other better rubber coz it ain't cheap. Its only worth buying is its legacy. That is all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi!

Kind regards

Kris

Good ol' Mark Vs are still very Okay, specially at the entry or advanced entry level.. I know of a couple of high-ranked Veterans who still play with it.. . Infact, I'd say you could stick with Mark V (Or any of it's variants), until you get back your game, and then, perhaps, move onto a more modern (tensoroids) rubber, such as a Rakza or Vega Europe etc,..

Incidentally I have a BTY Primorac All-wood as well and my rubbers on it are FH: Donic Bluefire M2 and BH: Donic Baracuda.I have clubmate who uses Xiom Vega but on a Yasaka Ma Lin blade. It is an alright combination, he plays all-round style. Not too aggressive, mainly devious placing pushes and active blocks.A word on Yasaka Mark V. I have this rubber and strictly from my experience, Mark V has passed its useful shelf-life. Perhaps it was an adequate rubber during the 38mm era, however, I find it too weak for the modern 40+mm era. It is only good for blocking or safe passive pushes in my humble opinion. For its price, please look for other better rubber coz it ain't cheap. Its only worth buying is its legacy. That is all.

About Mark V, Your opinion is way way off. There is no such as being adequate for an old ball but not for a new. It only about being fast or slow. For a particular player it is appropriate on a particular blade. I will try it on my Primorac Carbon next time instead of Rakza 7.
The reason for this because it’s harder but still slow. And for lasting by long I don’t think there is a better rubber (maybe Tenergy and Dignics…)

Cheers
L-zr

Mar 2021
About Mark V, Your opinion is way way off. There is no such as being adequate for an old ball but not for a new. It only about being fast or slow. For a particular player it is appropriate on a particular blade. I will try it on my Primorac Carbon next time instead of Rakza 7.
The reason for this because it’s harder but still slow. And for lasting by long I don’t think there is a better rubber (maybe Tenergy and Dignics…)

Cheers
L-zr

My experience was Mark V as BH on my Darker Speed 90 & DHS Long V. Both, arguably are considered OFF+ / OFF++ respectively.

However, I found a niche for Mark V as BH rubber mainly used for control block or safe pushes. If used as a set-up rubber for FH attack, then it has a place in this modern TT world.

Of course I recognised that one man's meat is another's poison and I respect diversity in opinion. As such I am just sharing my personal experience.

Mar 2021
Hi, I want to know why rubber thickness is important, Can you please explain?

Watch this video. The answer lies therein.

watch

Reactions: dh0llyw00d