Need help choosing a new blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Okay! like the title says i need help in choosing a new blade.

I have recently started playing again and i feel like my old blade (Butterfly Viscaria) is simply too fast and i don't have the confidence in it anymore. So im thinking of switching to a slower all-wood blade. The blades im looking at are Stiga Clipper, Clipper CR, Infinity VPS, Intensity NCT, Offensive wood NCT, Rosewood NCT V or the Butterfly Korbel SK7.

I'm going to use DHS Hurricane 3 on forehand and Butterfly Tenergy 05 on backhand (since that's what im used to). I'am an offensive forehand dominant player who's trying to develop their backhand. I usually only play safe shots with my backhand but i would like to develop it so it's more offensive and not totally depend on my forehand and I play close to mid distance to the table but some times i like to play far away as well.

If you can recommend another blade that's good for my style and what im trying to improve on please feel free to do so :)

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Okay! like the title says i need help in choosing a new blade.

I have recently started playing again and i feel like my old blade (Butterfly Viscaria) is simply too fast and i don't have the confidence in it anymore. So im thinking of switching to a slower all-wood blade. The blades im looking at are Stiga Clipper, Clipper CR, Infinity VPS, Intensity NCT, Offensive wood NCT, Rosewood NCT V or the Butterfly Korbel SK7.

I'm going to use DHS Hurricane 3 on forehand and Butterfly Tenergy 05 on backhand (since that's what im used to). I'am an offensive forehand dominant player who's trying to develop their backhand. I usually only play safe shots with my backhand but i would like to develop it so it's more offensive and not totally depend on my forehand and I play close to mid distance to the table but some times i like to play far away as well.

If you can recommend another blade that's good for my style and what im trying to improve on please feel free to do so :)

FH H3 & BH T05 on Viscaria is the de-facto set-up for CNT pro players. As you progress and improves, assuming you will not be changing your rubber, you will most like end up using Viscaria at a later point. They are perfect match up. How about not changing anything but slow down your game first. Try to focus on getting the spin right and not using too much power for the time being.

On a personal note, I have tried one session using a club-mates Viscaria and he uses Joola Rhyzym something something on his FH and T05 on his BH. Yeah, it was too fast for me also. However, I have been using mainly 5 ply all wood my whole TT career, hence it was natural for me to feel it is too fast for me.

Reactions: dh0llyw00d
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Avalox P500. It has a Koto top ply like the Viscaria. It is a 5 ply all wood blade. It has a Spruce medial ply that makes it feel really nice. and it has great control and is a decent speed. Not as fast as a Viscaria so it should give you a lot more control. But it is more than fast enough.

That is the blade Kong Linghui used when he won his first World Championship title. And it is a blade that, you could use till you are quite a high level if you want. Or, you could use it to help transition you back to your Viscaria because, with the Koto top ply, there will be things that are similar between it and the Viscaria even though it will allow you much more control.

Reactions: Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Why not keep using Viscaria? I suspect when you said “too fast” you were referring to your BH? T05 can be “too fast” even on a 5-ply blade if your technique is not right.

Why not slap a H8-80 on BH? Nice control and not that fast due to tackiness. Yet you can produce crazy topspin with more force.

Reactions: MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Same story here: I also came back to TT after more than 25 years out of the sport. I tried a few carbon blades at a local club and, though some of them were good fun to drill with, I just didn't have the skill/foot-speed/etc to use them well in actual game play. For me the solution was the Tibhar Lebesson (5-ply, allwood, mahogany medial plies, used by Emmanuel Lebesson who is a top international player) and I'd happily recommend it to others. However, if you want to keep some continuity with your Viscaria (in the hope of returning to it in due course) then the Avalox P500 recommended earlier in this thread is a good call.

It didn't take all that long until I felt ready to progress to a composite blade - but that 're-entry' phase with the Lebesson really did help in my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tipiak