Begginer BH rubber suggestions

Hi guys. I want your help for choosing a BH rubber that is good for flicking and quick attack (similar to FZD but with Penhold). I was thinking of picking a Chinese rubber as they're normally cheaper than Tensors, but I've heard that they don't suit BH, especially for lower-technique players. What do you think? Should I choose a Tensor or Chinese rubber and which (please if possible not over $50)? Here are some options I have:

Chinese-oriented:
- DHS G666 (Very cheap)
- DHS Hurricane 8-80 37° (Elastic and live sponge)
- DHS Skyline 3-60 37° (Designed for penhold)

Tensor-oriented:
- Xiom Vega Europe (Recommended for begginers)
- Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft (Good consistency and characteristics for BH)
- Stiga Genesis Medium (Nice price and reviews)

I would really thank your comments.

Last edited:
“Beginner”, well, in my notion of that concept… none of the rubbers mentioned (that I know) strike the right cord.

Xiom Vega Intro FTW. Yasaka Mark V. Friendship 729 Super-FX Soft. Stuff like that forms the beginner (and well beyond) class.

Thanks for your reply! Actually, my BH rubber is Vega Intro and I've also tried Mark V, but now I feel them too soft. I prefer to brush the ball instead of flat hitting, so I'm looking for a slightly harder and faster rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
In China many beginners use G666 on the backhand, it is "soft" and grippy, really good to develop BH strokes/flips.
If you want to try it, buy the max thickness :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

Thanks for your reply! Actually, my BH rubber is Vega Intro and I've also tried Mark V, but now I feel them too soft. I prefer to brush the ball instead of flat hitting, so I'm looking for a slightly harder and faster rubber.

Vega Europe and Rakza 7 Soft are probably going to be too soft for you. What is your forehand rubber?

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hi guys. I want your help for choosing a BH rubber that is good for flicking and quick attack (similar to FZD but with Penhold). I was thinking of picking a Chinese rubber as they're normally cheaper than Tensors, but I've heard that they don't suit BH, especially for lower-technique players. What do you think? Should I choose a Tensor or Chinese rubber and which (please if possible not over $50)? Here are some options I have:

Chinese-oriented:
- DHS G666 (Very cheap)
- DHS Hurricane 8-80 37° (Elastic and live sponge)
- DHS Skyline 3-60 37° (Designed for penhold)

Tensor-oriented:
- Xiom Vega Europe (Recommended for begginers)
- Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft (Good consistency and characteristics for BH)
- Stiga Genesis Medium (Nice price and reviews)

I would really thank your comments.

Xiom Vega Europe is good.

Donic Barcuda is good.

The standard answer is go for Tensor rubber on BH as it is perceived that due to our bio-mechanics limitation, we cannot hit as hard as FH hence we need some technological assistance in the form of Tensor tech.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
“Beginner”, well, in my notion of that concept… none of the rubbers mentioned (that I know) strike the right cord.

Xiom Vega Intro FTW. Yasaka Mark V. Friendship 729 Super-FX Soft. Stuff like that forms the beginner (and well beyond) class.

+1 for Yasaka Mark V or even BTY Sriver ..If you want to go for Classic Chinese-Style tacky rubbers, then Friendship Classic/Original ..

Another really good beginner-friendly rubber is Sanwei T888-III ..It's a good middle-of-the-road (between Euto/Jap style rubbers, and Chinese tacky ones) rubber.. Offers loads of control..

Xiom Vega Europe is good.

Donic Barcuda is good.

The standard answer is go for Tensor rubber on BH as it is perceived that due to our bio-mechanics limitation, we cannot hit as hard as FH hence we need some technological assistance in the form of Tensor tech.

Hey, Gozo! It seems that you're using H3 soft for BH. What are your thoughts about it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
In China many beginners use G666 on the backhand, it is "soft" and grippy, really good to develop BH strokes/flips.
If you want to try it, buy the max thickness :)

Hmm, this is quite interesting as G555 and meybe even G666 is recomended by DHS for backhand stroke. Is there any benefeits to them over H3 or Japanese rubbers? Why are they recommended on BH? Softer and grippy are reasones enough but consiudering the chinese recommmend it there must be more...

Mar 2021
Hey, Gozo! It seems that you're using H3 soft for BH. What are your thoughts about it?

H3 Soft for BH = luv it! Luv it!

Specifically I am using the non-neo H3 37 degree hardness.

However, this rubber does not work on all blades. I have tried on my Darker Speed 90 = not so good. BTY Primorac also not so good. It works well only, as I have discovered, on the Stiga blade so far. I have also tried it on DHS Long V to not so good result, although I suspect it is my own inadequacies. Incidentally Ma Long uses H3 37 degrees to great effect on Long V.

Ok, I move now to why I like it as a BH rubber for my Stiga. First off, Stiga is a flexy blade and it provide a lot of kick effect. Pairing it with a non bouncy but very tacky rubber works well with what I want to do.

As a BH rubber, due to its tacky nature, I can control the pushes very well and keep the ball short and low to prevent my opponent from opening. Now, this is expected of a non-bouncy but tacky rubber. However, I found a benefit that surprised me pleasantly.

It is a very good rubber for a counter topspin on my BH be it drive or loop. Here is the wonderful part. If you recall, in a typical FH topspin stroke, one usually moves into position and prepares a typical gesture to enable the FH topspin stroke. This stroke is big and perfectly telegraph to your opponent. I meant to say, your opponent can tell from your preparatory stance you are doing a FH topspin and he can ready himself for it.

On a BH, I can safely push or drive and the gesture is almost the same. Hence my opponent can easily get surprised by my last minute drive and this tactics won me many many points. I think it is due to its tacky nature that allows me to drive with such a short stroke.

Nonetheless, I must say, not all blade can do this gesture. So far I have found out that this works on flexy blade, which is Stiga. Other blades in my inventory = not executable. Hence I still rely on the classic tensor rubber for BH.

I am happy to share my TT experience. I hope you find this info useful. May the spin be with you always, friend.

H3 Soft for BH = luv it! Luv it!

Specifically I am using the non-neo H3 37 degree hardness.

However, this rubber does not work on all blades. I have tried on my Darker Speed 90 = not so good. BTY Primorac also not so good. It works well only, as I have discovered, on the Stiga blade so far. I have also tried it on DHS Long V to not so good result, although I suspect it is my own inadequacies. Incidentally Ma Long uses H3 37 degrees to great effect on Long V.

Ok, I move now to why I like it as a BH rubber for my Stiga. First off, Stiga is a flexy blade and it provide a lot of kick effect. Pairing it with a non bouncy but very tacky rubber works well with what I want to do.

As a BH rubber, due to its tacky nature, I can control the pushes very well and keep the ball short and low to prevent my opponent from opening. Now, this is expected of a non-bouncy but tacky rubber. However, I found a benefit that surprised me pleasantly.

It is a very good rubber for a counter topspin on my BH be it drive or loop. Here is the wonderful part. If you recall, in a typical FH topspin stroke, one usually moves into position and prepares a typical gesture to enable the FH topspin stroke. This stroke is big and perfectly telegraph to your opponent. I meant to say, your opponent can tell from your preparatory stance you are doing a FH topspin and he can ready himself for it.

On a BH, I can safely push or drive and the gesture is almost the same. Hence my opponent can easily get surprised by my last minute drive and this tactics won me many many points. I think it is due to its tacky nature that allows me to drive with such a short stroke.

Nonetheless, I must say, not all blade can do this gesture. So far I have found out that this works on flexy blade, which is Stiga. Other blades in my inventory = not executable. Hence I still rely on the classic tensor rubber for BH.

I am happy to share my TT experience. I hope you find this info useful. May the spin be with you always, friend.

Interesting. Have you tried it on flexy Yasaka blades like Sweden Classic/Extra?

Mar 2021

Interesting. Have you tried it on flexy Yasaka blades like Sweden Classic/Extra?

Don't temp me 😁, I already have many blades in my inventory.

However, this blade did cross my mine, but logically speaking I would presume it to have similar property to Stiga Allround.