TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews

Begginer BH rubber suggestions

Hi guys. I want your help for choosing a BH rubber that is good for flicking and quick attack (similar to FZD but with Penhold). I was thinking of picking a Chinese rubber as they're normally cheaper than Tensors, but I've heard that they don't suit BH, especially for lower-technique players. What do you think? Should I choose a Tensor or Chinese rubber and which (please if possible not over $50)? Here are some options I have:

Chinese-oriented:
    - DHS G666 (Very cheap)
    - DHS Hurricane 8-80 37° (Elastic and live sponge)
    - DHS Skyline 3-60 37° (Designed for penhold)

Tensor-oriented:
    - Xiom Vega Europe (Recommended for begginers)
    - Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft (Good consistency and characteristics for BH)
    - Stiga Genesis Medium (Nice price and reviews)

I would really thank your comments.
    Last edited by PeruvianPenholder_2008; 11-19-2021 at 02:27 PM.

says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,479 2,591
    says modestly attempting kōhaiship of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member 2,591 2,479
    “Beginner”, well, in my notion of that concept… none of the rubbers mentioned (that I know) strike the right cord.

Xiom Vega Intro FTW. Yasaka Mark V. Friendship 729 Super-FX Soft. Stuff like that forms the beginner (and well beyond) class.

The Following User Likes yoass's Post:

Funk Fu Master

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yoass
    “Beginner”, well, in my notion of that concept… none of the rubbers mentioned (that I know) strike the right cord.

Xiom Vega Intro FTW. Yasaka Mark V. Friendship 729 Super-FX Soft. Stuff like that forms the beginner (and well beyond) class.

Thanks for your reply! Actually, my BH rubber is Vega Intro and I've also tried Mark V, but now I feel them too soft. I prefer to brush the ball instead of flat hitting, so I'm looking for a slightly harder and faster rubber.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 31 69
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 69 31

User Info Menu

Jul 2013
    China
    Read 0 Reviews
    In China many beginners use G666 on the backhand, it is "soft" and grippy, really good to develop BH strokes/flips.
    If you want to try it, buy the max thickness

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 105 250
    D
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 250 105

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    It you want to go cheap and not Tacky you could try the Ak47 or the 729 focus snipe iii

This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 66
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 66 37

User Info Menu

Jun 2019
    Croatia
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianPenholder_2008

Thanks for your reply! Actually, my BH rubber is Vega Intro and I've also tried Mark V, but now I feel them too soft. I prefer to brush the ball instead of flat hitting, so I'm looking for a slightly harder and faster rubber.

Vega Europe and Rakza 7 Soft are probably going to be too soft for you. What is your forehand rubber?

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzhang
    In China many beginners use G666 on the backhand, it is "soft" and grippy, really good to develop BH strokes/flips.

Thx!😁

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominikk85
    It you want to go cheap and not Tacky you could try the Ak47 or the 729 focus snipe iii

Thanks! Fortunately, Focus Snipe is available in TT11. I'll consider it.

Last edited by PeruvianPenholder_2008; 11-19-2021 at 07:52 PM.

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dajdosta

Vega Europe and Rakza 7 Soft are probably going to be too soft for you. What is your forehand rubber?

Hi! My FH rubber is H3 unboosted.

says May the Spin be with you!

Advanced TTD Member 225 375

Advanced TTD Member 375 225
    Hi guys. I want your help for choosing a BH rubber that is good for flicking and quick attack (similar to FZD but with Penhold). I was thinking of picking a Chinese rubber as they're normally cheaper than Tensors, but I've heard that they don't suit BH, especially for lower-technique players. What do you think? Should I choose a Tensor or Chinese rubber and which (please if possible not over $50)? Here are some options I have:

Chinese-oriented:
    - DHS G666 (Very cheap)
    - DHS Hurricane 8-80 37° (Elastic and live sponge)
    - DHS Skyline 3-60 37° (Designed for penhold)

Tensor-oriented:
    - Xiom Vega Europe (Recommended for begginers)
    - Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft (Good consistency and characteristics for BH)
    - Stiga Genesis Medium (Nice price and reviews)

I would really thank your comments.

Xiom Vega Europe is good.

Donic Barcuda is good.

The standard answer is go for Tensor rubber on BH as it is perceived that due to our bio-mechanics limitation, we cannot hit as hard as FH hence we need some technological assistance in the form of Tensor tech.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 76 217
    F
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 217 76

User Info Menu

Jan 2021
    UK
    Read 1 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by yoass

+1 for Yasaka Mark V or even BTY Sriver ..If you want to go for Classic Chinese-Style tacky rubbers, then Friendship Classic/Original ..

Another really good beginner-friendly rubber is Sanwei T888-III ..It's a good middle-of-the-road (between Euto/Jap style rubbers, and Chinese tacky ones) rubber.. Offers loads of control..

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 61 187
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 187 61
    Recently I tried Victas Ventus Limber. The rubber is real spinny, grabs the ball very easy, good control. it's perfect for backhand. The only downside is that is a bit slow.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 66
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 66 37

User Info Menu

Jun 2019
    Croatia
    Read 0 Reviews

Hi! My FH rubber is H3 unboosted.

Ah ok. I thought to suggest the obvious to flip sides and try to play the backhand with your FH rubber. To test if you like it. But H3 is probably too hard for backhand.

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo

Xiom Vega Europe is good.

Donic Barcuda is good.

The standard answer is go for Tensor rubber on BH as it is perceived that due to our bio-mechanics limitation, we cannot hit as hard as FH hence we need some technological assistance in the form of Tensor tech.

Hey, Gozo! It seems that you're using H3 soft for BH. What are your thoughts about it?

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady
    Recently I tried Victas Ventus Limber. The rubber is real spinny, grabs the ball very easy, good control. it's perfect for backhand. The only downside is that is a bit slow.

Sound great, thanks!

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 64 134
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 134 64

User Info Menu

Oct 2018
    Hungary
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davidzhang

Hmm, this is quite interesting as G555 and meybe even G666 is recomended by DHS for backhand stroke. Is there any benefeits to them over H3 or Japanese rubbers? Why are they recommended on BH? Softer and grippy are reasones enough but consiudering the chinese recommmend it there must be more...

Hey, Gozo! It seems that you're using H3 soft for BH. What are your thoughts about it?
    H3 Soft for BH = luv it! Luv it!

Specifically I am using the non-neo H3 37 degree hardness.

However, this rubber does not work on all blades. I have tried on my Darker Speed 90 = not so good. BTY Primorac also not so good. It works well only, as I have discovered, on the Stiga blade so far. I have also tried it on DHS Long V to not so good result, although I suspect it is my own inadequacies. Incidentally Ma Long uses H3 37 degrees to great effect on Long V.

Ok, I move now to why I like it as a BH rubber for my Stiga. First off, Stiga is a flexy blade and it provide a lot of kick effect. Pairing it with a non bouncy but very tacky rubber works well with what I want to do.

As a BH rubber, due to its tacky nature, I can control the pushes very well and keep the ball short and low to prevent my opponent from opening. Now, this is expected of a non-bouncy but tacky rubber. However, I found a benefit that surprised me pleasantly.

It is a very good rubber for a counter topspin on my BH be it drive or loop. Here is the wonderful part. If you recall, in a typical FH topspin stroke, one usually moves into position and prepares a typical gesture to enable the FH topspin stroke. This stroke is big and perfectly telegraph to your opponent. I meant to say, your opponent can tell from your preparatory stance you are doing a FH topspin and he can ready himself for it.

On a BH, I can safely push or drive and the gesture is almost the same. Hence my opponent can easily get surprised by my last minute drive and this tactics won me many many points. I think it is due to its tacky nature that allows me to drive with such a short stroke.

Nonetheless, I must say, not all blade can do this gesture. So far I have found out that this works on flexy blade, which is Stiga. Other blades in my inventory = not executable. Hence I still rely on the classic tensor rubber for BH.

I am happy to share my TT experience. I hope you find this info useful. May the spin be with you always, friend.

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    H3 Soft for BH = luv it! Luv it!

Specifically I am using the non-neo H3 37 degree hardness.

However, this rubber does not work on all blades. I have tried on my Darker Speed 90 = not so good. BTY Primorac also not so good. It works well only, as I have discovered, on the Stiga blade so far. I have also tried it on DHS Long V to not so good result, although I suspect it is my own inadequacies. Incidentally Ma Long uses H3 37 degrees to great effect on Long V.

Ok, I move now to why I like it as a BH rubber for my Stiga. First off, Stiga is a flexy blade and it provide a lot of kick effect. Pairing it with a non bouncy but very tacky rubber works well with what I want to do.

As a BH rubber, due to its tacky nature, I can control the pushes very well and keep the ball short and low to prevent my opponent from opening. Now, this is expected of a non-bouncy but tacky rubber. However, I found a benefit that surprised me pleasantly.

It is a very good rubber for a counter topspin on my BH be it drive or loop. Here is the wonderful part. If you recall, in a typical FH topspin stroke, one usually moves into position and prepares a typical gesture to enable the FH topspin stroke. This stroke is big and perfectly telegraph to your opponent. I meant to say, your opponent can tell from your preparatory stance you are doing a FH topspin and he can ready himself for it.

On a BH, I can safely push or drive and the gesture is almost the same. Hence my opponent can easily get surprised by my last minute drive and this tactics won me many many points. I think it is due to its tacky nature that allows me to drive with such a short stroke.

Nonetheless, I must say, not all blade can do this gesture. So far I have found out that this works on flexy blade, which is Stiga. Other blades in my inventory = not executable. Hence I still rely on the classic tensor rubber for BH.

I am happy to share my TT experience. I hope you find this info useful. May the spin be with you always, friend.

Interesting. Have you tried it on flexy Yasaka blades like Sweden Classic/Extra?

Interesting. Have you tried it on flexy Yasaka blades like Sweden Classic/Extra?

Don't temp me 😁, I already have many blades in my inventory.

However, this blade did cross my mine, but logically speaking I would presume it to have similar property to Stiga Allround.

says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 1 20
    says Power of Penhold!

TTD Member 20 1

User Info Menu

May 2021
    Peru
    Read 0 Reviews

Don't temp me 😁, I already have many blades in my inventory.

Hahaha😆

However, this blade did cross my mine, but logically speaking I would presume it to have similar property to Stiga Allround.

Yeah I think so too. I'm going to give it a try, thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast