Setup suggestion/Technique Problem ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

well the target is usually play it to the forehand side or backhand side. I dont aim towards one single point. I am the end of the line but even here I heard pros use so much spin and dont aim to the end line to not have a chance to miss the table? But I could have misunderstood something here. Either way I try to land the shots in the last 1/5 of the table as my aim. I am not at a level to say how much spin I generated. Because some people hit really hard and they say they had lots of spin in there but for me its just a smash(it looks like the shot in the first Part of the video with the kid where he lands a really fast shot that I didnt bring to his side. Training Part 1 1:09

What is a 100 ball rally test? 100 topspins without a single mistake? or Just the warm up practise which is the same what we did in Part 1 just 100 times hits from each player?

In your practise you should have precise targets and notice whether you are on target, short or long, left or right. This info is an essential system to enable you to continuosly correct your errors. You must operate your own feedback system rather than rely on the coach
Yes hundred balls without error is a basic test which any player of your level should be able to pass. 2 competent amateur should be able to demonstrate at least a 200 shot rally at steady speed within say half an hour
also try
counter hit 100 balls from 2 positions
then maybe bh to bh counter for 5 minutes without error
My impression from your remarks is that consistency and how to acheive it, is not at the top of your list but it should be.
good luck

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Alright so basically the drill in my first part of the video. Both players Counterhitting. I do that as a warm up every training. But I Just tell myself to hit it somewhere on to the forehand side. I dont exactly chose a spot. And same with backhand. We do like 2-5minutes counter fh-fh same with backhand but before we switch to backhand we do 2-5min forehand topspin and other player blocks and then same with backhand. And then start with a drill exercise with a service. And then close it with a match bo5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Alright so basically the drill in my first part of the video. Both players Counterhitting. I do that as a warm up every training. But I Just tell myself to hit it somewhere on to the forehand side. I dont exactly chose a spot. And same with backhand. We do like 2-5minutes counter fh-fh same with backhand but before we switch to backhand we do 2-5min forehand topspin and other player blocks and then same with backhand. And then start with a drill exercise with a service. And then close it with a match bo5.

OK Zezima
there are many good coaches on this forum who can suggest different things for you to do, but I hope that you can see my point that players that progress to higher levels approach their training with a higher degree of intensity than the average guy who has hired a coach just so he has an enjoyable practice on a regular basis.
IMHO you are at a pretty good level and you can probably maintain that level by going on as you are. But to go much further you and your coach need to repurpose your drills to aim for more consistency and accuracy under pressure.
Its a numbers game
write down your training targets
reach those targets then
set new targets.
To improve some consistency drills you should sometimes slow down a little but always with the purpose of increasing power and consistency.
Set up different game/rally pattern scenarios to test ability to play winners under pressure. write down the results this feed back will improve your confidence and guard against complacency. Then learn to implement those scenarios in real games and avoid using the unsuccesful ones
good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

OK Zezima
there are many good coaches on this forum who can suggest different things for you to do, but I hope that you can see my point that players that progress to higher levels approach their training with a higher degree of intensity than the average guy who has hired a coach just so he has an enjoyable practice on a regular basis.
IMHO you are at a pretty good level and you can probably maintain that level by going on as you are. But to go much further you and your coach need to repurpose your drills to aim for more consistency and accuracy under pressure.
Its a numbers game
write down your training targets
reach those targets then
set new targets.
To improve some consistency drills you should sometimes slow down a little but always with the purpose of increasing power and consistency.
Set up different game/rally pattern scenarios to test ability to play winners under pressure. write down the results this feed back will improve your confidence and guard against complacency. Then learn to implement those scenarios in real games and avoid using the unsuccesful ones
good luck

I stop training once I start making a lot of mistakes. Like I alraedy miss the ball completely but towards the end I start to miss my service even( a lot) then I just tell myself ok I should prob quit for today.

I like the idea of setting up goals beforehand but how should I approach this. What kind of goals? How can I set them up step by step. Its not like in a fitness center where you can count how many times x and how often I can do it and do the same thing a month again and see some progress in terms of numbers.

I do set up some rally patterns thats what we do after the warm up shots basically. Each side suggest a rally scenario that he wants to play and we play that for 5-10min and then switch (the other tells his rallyy pattern)

Right now my biggest problem seems that I completely miss the ball more than anyone else and I don´t know why. I have that going for a while now.
Today I trained with an older man 57years old I beleive who is in good shape and is an attacker too (consistent and placement - not smash type) He had a really good topspin/sidespin long into my forehand/middle of the table that I couldnt attack for some reason. I would throw it out of the table other than that it was a close game actually. So I am kind of happy I am getting really close to that level so I can play in his league.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Try doing multi ball half long balls and also long backspin. Need to develop the feeling of spin and brushing. Especially half long balls will help you too learn to use the forearm and wrist and brush.