Dhs w968/ hurricane long 5 splintering issues

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
The actual answer should be: THE JOOLA PRODUCT WAS THE SEALANT. I called it varnish. But the product sealed the top ply of my blade.
Puh, Carl... I thought he meant additional "lacquering" which would change the characteristics of the top ply radically (make it much, much harder). The water based Joola varnish/sealant doesn't change the properties of the top ply in a negative / perceptible way.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Puh, Carl... I thought he meant additional "lacquering" which would change the characteristics of the top ply radically (make it much, much harder). The water based Joola varnish/sealant doesn't change the properties of the top ply in a negative / perceptible way.

Yep. It was confusing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just buy butterfly blades. I think they come sealed right?

Butterfly blades are not sealed. But their finishing quality is very good and, for splintering, they usually don't need a layer of sealant. However, the water from the glue will still effect the wood.

says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019

Butterfly blades are not sealed. But their finishing quality is very good and, for splintering, they usually don't need a layer of sealant. However, the water from the glue will still effect the wood.

Do you know anything about xiom blades too? like their quality, do they need to be sealed or not and so on.
Tbh I'm curious of a new upcoming xiom blade which is similar to w968/long V I predict. Korean youngsters an jaehyun has already been using it and he previously uses long V so this will be similar to it more or less. A new blade has already been sold on offical xiom korean website but not sure whether it's the one AnJH is using. But the handle seems very close.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you know anything about xiom blades too? like their quality, do they need to be sealed or not and so on.
Tbh I'm curious of a new upcoming xiom blade which is similar to w968/long V I predict. Korean youngsters an jaehyun has already been using it and he previously uses long V so this will be similar to it more or less. A new blade has already been sold on offical xiom korean website but not sure whether it's the one AnJH is using. But the handle seems very close.

I think I have said this before. But I am not sure you understand what I am saying.

There are people here who are saying “you have to seal” a specific blade to protect from splintering, and then another person comes along and says, “I have that blade and I didn’t seal it and it is fine….so you don’t have to seal any blades.”

So this is a choice. If you want to seal, seal. If you don’t want to seal, don’t seal. YOU DECIDE. All people can tell you, if they actually want to be helpful is what the pros and cons of sealing are so you can make an informed decision. But the decision is not really all that important in the scope of things.

All blades CAN be sealed. NO blades NEED to be sealed. It is a personal preference.

So, to simplify

Pros of sealing:

1) protects the wood from water damage

2) protects top ply from splintering

Cons of sealing:

1) a bit of a hassle (if you don’t have all you need and know how to do it)

2) some people fear it will change the playing characteristics

As far as Xiom Blades are concerned, the Xiom blades I have tried are of an excellent build quality.

Reactions: Colin Ksh
Sep 2019
I think I have said this before. But I am not sure you understand what I am saying.

There are people here who are saying “you have to seal” a specific blade to protect from splintering, and then another person comes along and says, “I have that blade and I didn’t seal it and it is fine….so you don’t have to seal any blades.”

So this is a choice. If you want to seal, seal. If you don’t want to seal, don’t seal. YOU DECIDE. All people can tell you, if they actually want to be helpful is what the pros and cons of sealing are so you can make an informed decision. But the decision is not really all that important in the scope of things.

All blades CAN be sealed. NO blades NEED to be sealed. It is a personal preference.

So, to simplify

Pros of sealing:

1) protects the wood from water damage

2) protects top ply from splintering

Cons of sealing:

1) a bit of a hassle (if you don’t have all you need and know how to do it)

2) some people fear it will change the playing characteristics

As far as Xiom Blades are concerned, the Xiom blades I have tried are of an excellent build quality.
Thanks again for your feedback

Sep 2019

I have a 5x and 968 and I haven't had any splintering issues. I haven't used any lacquer or sanding technique. I have used a variety of glue like Revolution 3, DHS 15, falco premium, and free chack 2

Which glue do you suggest using for long V with hurricane blue sponge rubbers? Is dhs aquatic no.15 good for those?

Sep 2019

One last question please since I forgot to add in mu previous reply. Do xiom blades also have good finishing quality like butterfly's?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
One last question please since I forgot to add in mu previous reply. Do xiom blades also have good finishing quality like butterfly's?

The South Korean made ones are pretty close to Butterfly quality in general. But some of my friends had some issues with outer carbon construction blades where the limba peeled up. But I've seen this happening with most brands including BTY.
I have several DHS blades but never happened with them even with really evil glues. And I'm not talking about W968 or so high end blades, just a Fang Bo carbon and the Fang Bo 2X, their limba top is really above everyone else.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

It seems you miss things or something or need them repeated several times. But I definitely did answer this question already so I am just showing the answer in a quote.

Sep 2019

The South Korean made ones are pretty close to Butterfly quality in general. But some of my friends had some issues with outer carbon construction blades where the limba peeled up. But I've seen this happening with most brands including BTY.
I have several DHS blades but never happened with them even with really evil glues. And I'm not talking about W968 or so high end blades, just a Fang Bo carbon and the Fang Bo 2X, their limba top is really above everyone else.

Ohh I see. I like the w968/long V but just due to some reviews saying about it splintering that’s the reason why I’m quite hesitate to purchase or else it’s a no brainer for me. I’m still waiting for the new xiom blade as well. I’ll definitely buy an inner carbon blade no sure whether it’ll be long V or xiom’s new blade, still longing for it to come. If so, do you suggest buying w968 and using it without sealing? And which glue do you personally use?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Ohh I see. I like the w968/long V but just due to some reviews saying about it splintering that’s the reason why I’m quite hesitate to purchase or else it’s a no brainer for me. I’m still waiting for the new xiom blade as well. I’ll definitely buy an inner carbon blade no sure whether it’ll be long V or xiom’s new blade, still longing for it to come. If so, do you suggest buying w968 and using it without sealing? And which glue do you personally use?

I wouldn't seal any blade. I don't know what blade is Xiom coming out with so can't really compare. But W968 construction by DHS is really good.

I use DHS no15 glue and never had an issue with it while I can't say the same from the others. The german made glues are probably the worst. Free chak 1, Andro turbo fix etc etc, they all have the same bottle, they all smell the same and they are all bad. I guess Nittaku finezip is a good alternative but DHS glue is like half price in comparison.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

Which glue do you suggest using for long V with hurricane blue sponge rubbers? Is dhs aquatic no.15 good for those?

I think that the DHS glue is the best. The others work well too but I feel that DHS has the best feeling. a close competitor would be butterfly freechack 2 but that glue does not come off easily and smells really bad.

Sep 2019

I think that the DHS glue is the best. The others work well too but I feel that DHS has the best feeling. a close competitor would be butterfly freechack 2 but that glue does not come off easily and smells really bad.

Thanks. And is it suitable to use dhs no.15 glue on other blades as well for instance like xiom blades.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks. And is it suitable to use dhs no.15 glue on other blades as well for instance like xiom blades.
Why do you ask these ridiculous questions. If the glue works, IT WORKS. It makes no difference what blade.

• Love
Reactions: Colin Ksh and lodro