Dignics 09c in cold weather

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
sometimes in turkey we also have very cold halls when practice but not minus degrees, we maybe have around 10 plus, but still very cold. it is working to play but you must take of the rubbers before and also during. before i start to play i put my racket in a towel and then against my body in maybe 20 minutes, then i sometimes put my racket in the armhole since that is the warmest part of the body (if you dont want to put the bat between your legs :) ). then i can keep up good temperature of my rubbers and they work in colder conditions. good luck

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Ok maybe I exaggerated a little. The temperature is maybe between 10 and 15 degrees celsius in the hall I am playing but my point was to ask in general. And in general it's really hard to find a perfect tt hall if you are not professional. It's either too cold or the humidity is too high, or the roof is too low, or the floor is slippery or anything else that you can find wrong with the hall for not being better than your opponent. Let's even say I practice in the perfect conditions then I go to some regional competition and you have to deal with some of the things mentioned above. The whole point is you have to adapt to the current situation so that's why I created the whole thread - to ask how you guys adapt to the weather condition with the current rubber.
This is very much the reality. I would add poor lighting too.
What I found is that in colder temp D09c feels colder. If you touch it and you touch another rubber D09c feels more chilly. It's a bit weird actually. But in colder temp it's really harder to make the rubber give the "stretch" feeling.

Reactions: deepinside
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I´ve posted this a while ago in another thread but there are racket cases with heating pads that really work well in cold conditions, I´ll try to find the post and if so will put a link to that thread here.

Great to see you here again. Welcome back. For those of you who don't know Suga D, for years he was one of the most valuable members of TTDaily. Very helpful on all fronts. Definitely one of my favorite members all around.

I remember your post on the case that will warm your racket for you from quite a while back. Do you have a link for the actual product?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I´ve posted this a while ago in another thread but there are racket cases with heating pads that really work well in cold conditions, I´ll try to find the post and if so will put a link to that thread here.
This might not be allowed depending on where/which level one plays... At least in Germany...Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is using such heating pads or not. https://www.tischtennis.de/fileadmi...v2020/Regelauslegungen_DTTB_2020_Dezember.pdf

Fönen von Belägen
Das Fönen von Belägen ist nach Meinung des RSR generell unzulässig. Das Erhitzen von Belägen stellt eine physikalische Behandlung dar, die nach den Internationalen TT-Regeln A 4.7 nicht zulässig ist, unabhängig davon, ob ein Schläger Raumtemperatur aufweist oder nicht. Dies gilt für das Fönen von Belägen ebenso wie für die Verwendung von Heizdecken oder anderen technischen Hilfsmitteln, wie etwa dem "Belag-Heizkissen" der Firma HERO. Die Firma wurde übrigens bereits im letzten Jahr vom DTTB auf die Unzulässigkeit ihres Produktes hingewiesen. (Regelanfrage 2011).

Translation:

Blow-drying of rubbers:
In the opinion of the RSR (umpire department of the DTTB) blow-drying of rubbers is generally not permitted. The heating of rubbers is a physical treatment not permitted by the ITTF rules A4.7 (2.4.7 in the current handbook) regardless of whether the racket is at room temperature or not. The same applies to blow-drying of rubbers as well as to the usage of electric blankets or other technical means like "rubber heating pads" from the company HERO. The company was informed last year by the DTTB of the inadmissibility of their product (rule request 2011).

https://www.spinfactory.de/taschen-huellen/advantage-warmehulle.html (currently on sale for 15€ ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: deepinside
says Aging is a killer
Yeah. I am sorry if it is the case that you are playing in conditions that are not heated and where you need to wear a winter coat to play. But I just would not want to play in those conditions. And if that is the case, I don't see anything that can really do much.

For me, if I can't wear shorts and a tea shirt, I am not really interested in playing. But, I guess, everyone is different. I would think about getting a different racket for when playing in cold conditions....a totally different racket....because those temperatures will damage the rubber molecules of both rubbers anyway and make them wear out more quickly.

I would just get something with a cheap Chinese blade and cheap Chinese rubbers like AK47 for both sides for when playing in temperatures lower than 19 degrees celsius (66 degrees F).

You Americans are grown to be such softies..............Anyway, I don't believe you. If you had to play a league match or something you'd adapt.
I have seen NFL games on TV where the game is played in very awful conditions and the stands were full of spectators

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

You Americans are grown to be such softies..............Anyway, I don't believe you. If you had to play a league match or something you'd adapt.
I have seen NFL games on TV where the game is played in very awful conditions and the stands were full of spectators

I've biked in 20 F (-6.66 C), so it has nothing to do with being soft. I play TT for pleasure. I value freedom of movement of my legs for footwork and arms for stroke production. I used to play outdoors in 2009-2010. I remember the feeling of playing in long pants and a warm up jacket. I could do it. But, I play TT for fun. And it is notably less fun the more there are restrictions on how I can use my legs and arms. So, maybe if the conditions were that, once you were warm you could take the jacket off and play in a shirt, I would.

But OP said -5 C (23 F) to 10 C (50 F), I am not playing TT in 10 C. Definitely not playing TT in -5 C. 16.66 C (62 F): If I got to a place to play and found something wrong with the heating, the temperature was 16.66 C and I was already there, I would play. But I would not be looking to go back there unless I knew it was a one time thing.

Riding a bike, I am okay with lower than -5 C. I won't take my rode bike on a pleasure ride at that temperature. But I will commute to work. All I need is the gear to keep me warm while riding. 2.22 C (36 F), I will take a pleasure ride. But not TT.

Last edited:
Reactions: dajdosta
says Aging is a killer
I've biked in 20 F (-6.66 C), so it has nothing to do with being soft. I play TT for pleasure. I value freedom of movement of my legs for footwork and arms for stroke production. I used to play outdoors in 2009-2010. I remember the feeling of playing in long pants and a warm up jacket. I could do it. But, I play TT for fun. And it is notably less fun the more there are restrictions on how I can use my legs and arms. So, maybe if the conditions were that, once you were warm you could take the jacket off and play in a shirt, I would.

But OP said -5 C (23 F) to 10 C (50 F), I am not playing TT in 10 C. Definitely not playing TT in -5 C. 16.66 C (62 F): If I got to a place to play and found something wrong with the heating, the temperature was 16.66 C and I was already there, I would play. But I would not be looking to go back there unless I knew it was a one time thing.

Riding a bike, I am okay with lower than -5 C. I won't take my rode bike on a pleasure ride at that temperature. But I will commute to work. All I need is the gear to keep me warm while riding. 2.22 C (36 F), I will take a pleasure ride. But not TT.

I certainly would not cycle in temperatures below 5DegC. I've seen too many accidents caused by black ice.
Playing TT in 10 -12DegC might seem too cold but I've found that the body warms up pretty quickly. Not the best conditions, but again the problem is that sometimes ice forms on a concrete floor. That has happened to me a couple of times.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I certainly would not cycle in temperatures below 5DegC. I've seen too many accidents caused by black ice.
Playing TT in 10 -12DegC might seem too cold but I've found that the body warms up pretty quickly. Not the best conditions, but again the problem is that sometimes ice forms on a concrete floor. That has happened to me a couple of times.

Interesting. Black ice. Good info. I have never seen that in NYC. But I have not been commuting by bike that long. Back when I was younger I used to ride everywhere in any temperature. But then I did not ride for a long time till CoVID and for the past 18 months I have been commuting by bike unless the ground was wet or there was snow. I will keep it in mind to be careful in colder temperatures. But when I am commuting I ride at a pretty laid back pace and do try to avoid traffic as much as possible. Still, biking can certainly be dangerous. But I really prefer it to taking subway trains by a long shot. Even when it is cold. And I definitely rode in temperatures down to 20-degrees F (-6.67 C) last winter without incident. But did not ride when the ground was wet or when there had been snow that had not yet be cleared. Also, I think, with all the heat from the buildings in NYC, the city streets dry up fairly quickly and don't tend to ice up unless it has rained or snowed.

However, the point was whether it was a matter of being a softie that I do not like to play TT when the temperature was too cold. :) I doubt anyone who knows me would say I was that version of softie. I rode 45 miles (72km) yesterday and my bike computer tells me the average temperature during the ride was 41 F (5 C) and the low was 36 F (2.22 C). And it felt great as I worked on base training. However, with TT, I don't enjoy playing if I have to add too many layers of clothing to keep me warm. A long sleeved shirt and warm up pants over my shorts, sure, I can do that. But jeans, snow boots and a winter jacket for 5 C, that is just not going to happen. As Lazer said:
Lazer;356793

Maybe the problem is the gloves you have to use😊

Anything under 62 F (17 C) and I am not really interested in playing. There are other things I enjoy doing that I would rather do instead if the place I am going to play at is colder than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Anything under 62 F (17 C) and I am not really interested in playing. There are other things I enjoy doing that I would rather do instead if the place I am going to play at is colder than that.

The DTTB (German table tennis federation) says 15 °C / 59 °F is enough to play... I don't like that either and considering the condition of some of the playing localities, e.g., unheated on weekends, windows that can't be closed, broken heating, covid regulations that require regular ventilation and so on we had to play some of our last league matches in places that were barely warmer than the outside temperature of around 10 °C / 50 °F and below... Don't ask about lighting, grippy floors, locker rooms/showers, tables not reflecting like mirrors etc.. Today conditions were good (warm, grippy floor, tables, balls) except that there was a handball goal covering parts of the playing boxes on one side... Yep, Germany, 21st century (just don't expect too much from places owned by the public sector over here depending on where you are in Germany...)

• Sad
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The DTTB (German table tennis federation) says 15 °C / 59 °F is enough to play... I don't like that either and considering the condition of some of the playing localities, e.g., unheated on weekends, windows that can't be closed, broken heating, covid regulations that require regular ventilation and so on we had to play some of our last league matches in places that were barely warmer than the outside temperature of around 10 °C / 50 °F and below... Don't ask about lighting, grippy floors, locker rooms/showers, tables not reflecting like mirrors etc.. Today conditions were good (warm, grippy floor, tables, balls) except that there was a handball goal covering parts of the playing boxes on one side... Yep, Germany, 21st century (just don't expect too much from places owned by the public sector over here depending on where you are in Germany...)
Yeah. I guess, if you play in a league I can see how you could get roped into playing in bad situations like that. I am sure, in those circumstances, with teammates relying on me, I would play. But it would definitely make me rethink wanting to be in the league. The hardest part about something like that is when you are NOT playing and trying to stay warm. And constantly getting cold and then warming up and sweating and then standing still or sitting after getting warm enough to sweat.....sounds like a scenario that is not one I would like.

says Aging is a killer
Yeah. I guess, if you play in a league I can see how you could get roped into playing in bad situations like that. I am sure, in those circumstances, with teammates relying on me, I would play. But it would definitely make me rethink wanting to be in the league. The hardest part about something like that is when you are NOT playing and trying to stay warm. And constantly getting cold and then warming up and sweating and then standing still or sitting after getting warm enough to sweat.....sounds like a scenario that is not one I would like.

There is a lot of 'it depends' here. In a big hall with few people, yes, it's very uncomfortable. However, most league TT is played iin small venues, most below the ITTF approved playing area. Once a player warms up in his first match, he generally keeps that warmth for the rest of the match. And of course cusses 'Never again!" at the end, But guess what, he's there again the following week doing the same thing😅