Back to Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. AndyK is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 52
    A
    AndyK is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 52 28
    #1

    WTT Houston Disaster

    For those of you who missed out on attending the WTT in Houston, you didn't miss anything. As expected, the event organization is a disaster in Houston.

    ​​​​​​There were two different lines to check in at the convention center but no one working there knew what each line was for. One security guard told me he had no idea what was going on. They let people into the main hall and then ejected them and told them to come back at 10:30.

    More egregious is the fact that Hall B3 has 9 out of the ten tables (the main assembly has only one table), but you can can't sit anywhere close to 6 of the tables because they only have seating on two sides, not all around. You're at least a few hundred feet away from those tables. So if you want to watch any of the matches at those tables, it's better to stream the matches on the internet and tolerate WTT horrible side angle view.

    The only good side of the mismanagement is that you can sit wherever you want since no one's really checking. If you bought the vip or premium seats, you really paid for nothing.

    The Following 3 Users Like AndyK's Post:

    quanghuysk, Tipiak and 1 other


  2. vipt2000 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 21 52
    V
    vipt2000 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 52 21

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2012
    Canada
    52
    21
    159
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    thanks for sharing, guess I don't regret not going then.

  3. TTHopeful is offline
    says Dima... Amazing...
     
    Master TTD Member 878 2,254
    TTHopeful's Avatar
    TTHopeful is offline
    says Dima... Amazing...
     
    Master TTD Member 2,254 878

    User Info Menu

    #3
    Who runs the event?

  4. bzing is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 179 491
    B
    bzing is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 491 179

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2012
    Great Britain
    491
    179
    824
    Read 0 Reviews
    #4
    So they run the horrible side angle view for the WTTC as well... Since they've started doing the side angle in the other events, I've been unable to watch any of their matches. Their side angle is just intolerable for me to watch so they've ruined it completely for me.

    The Following User Likes bzing's Post:

    latej


  5. kogeh is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 25 36
    K
    kogeh is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 36 25
    #5
    side angle view is disgrace to TT

    The Following 2 Users Like kogeh's Post:

    latej and mrk


  6. AndyK is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 52
    A
    AndyK is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 52 28
    #6
    Completely agree, the side angle view is obnoxious and disgraceful

    The Following User Likes AndyK's Post:

    latej


  7. Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,179 971
    Atas Newton's Avatar
    Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 971 1,179
    #7
    "I mean let's be fair, tennis and badminton already use that other (awful) angle for absolutely no reason so this is a great opportunity for TT to stand out. Also, sports like football or hockey can't be doing it wrong" - whoever came up with the side angle
    the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

  8. Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,539 1,846
    L
    Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,846 1,539

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    Sweden
    1,846
    1,539
    4440
    Read 0 Reviews
    #8
    I thought the US would want to prove themselves a bit as a big nation in general, show that they are a tabletennis nation to take serious and promote the sport in the US but noo? or it seems pretty sloppy arranged?

  9. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,842 11,655
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,655 11,842

    User Info Menu

    #9
    I would want to know who organized and is operating the event first before I say much. Such disorganization would be almost trademark for my national association, but maybe they are not involved at all.

    I see Lula why you would be skeptical and disappointed. I do not believe the OP is making anything up.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  10. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 8,055 5,838
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,838 8,055

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,838
    8,055
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    USATT can't even manage itself. It's just like the US car industry, which has absolutely nothing to do with funding.

    So nice of CTTA to support their bidding for WTTC 2021 just because it's the 50th anniversary of Ping Pong Diplomacy.

    https://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...stinks#1059154
    The US is a 9.5-time World Champion, albeit in the hardbat era. Yet, I don't ever see the legacy, not to mention its revival, mentioned in any of the strategic plan for USATT. In 2009, the following was put forward. 10 years later, where are the promises?
    ...Ten years from now, other sports' NGBs will meet and ask themselves, "How can we grow our sport like Table Tennis did?"
    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

  11. TTLOVE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 162 352
    TTLOVE's Avatar
    TTLOVE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 352 162
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton
    "I mean let's be fair, tennis and badminton already use that other (awful) angle for absolutely no reason so this is a great opportunity for TT to stand out. Also, sports like football or hockey can't be doing it wrong" - whoever came up with the side angle

    are you serious or this is just sarcasm? cause that viewing angle is terrible. imagine watching table tennis for the first time with that horrible angle and quitting because of this. I really don't understand why they keep this angle, even on youtube's comment on recap of day 1 every one was complaining about this

    The Following User Likes TTLOVE's Post:

    mrk


  12. Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,054 925
    B
    Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 925 1,054

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2015
    Christmas Island
    925
    1,054
    1893
    Read 0 Reviews
    #12
    I love the side angle view and watch 10x more TT since WTT brought it in. The only time I went to a live ITTF event at first I sat behind the courts because I was used to only seeing one guy's back while he waved his arm at some invisible thing in front of him. The second day I realized that was stupid and went to sit behind the umpire. Then I could finally see the serve and receive.

    The Following User Likes Brs's Post:

    vvk1


  13. Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,179 971
    Atas Newton's Avatar
    Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 971 1,179
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TTLOVE

    are you serious or this is just sarcasm? cause that viewing angle is terrible. imagine watching table tennis for the first time with that horrible angle and quitting because of this. I really don't understand why they keep this angle, even on youtube's comment on recap of day 1 every one was complaining about this

    that's how I imagine their meeting to decide on the angle change went :-)

    the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

  14. Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,179 971
    Atas Newton's Avatar
    Atas Newton is offline
    says CHOLE!
     
    Senior TTD Member 971 1,179
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Brs
    I love the side angle view and watch 10x more TT since WTT brought it in. The only time I went to a live ITTF event at first I sat behind the courts because I was used to only seeing one guy's back while he waved his arm at some invisible thing in front of him. The second day I realized that was stupid and went to sit behind the umpire. Then I could finally see the serve and receive.

    you could see through the umpire with your x-ray eyes? ;-) The old angle never had any problem with what you describe, the camera position was well high enough to see everything except maybe an occasional bh serve. Unlike my satirical argument suggests, there's very good reason why racket sports use the same angle. That is, until now they did

    Last edited by Atas Newton; 11-24-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    the commentator lists Grand Slam winners, calls JOW John Oev Wellner, LGL Louis Goodland (not kidding)

  15. SFF_lib is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,048 1,764
    SFF_lib's Avatar
    SFF_lib is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,764 1,048
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by benjat
    Can someone post some videos of this & also some videos of how to do it correctly (which view) ?

    Why can't they use cameras at multiple angles liek in other sports ?

    How is this going to be done at Chengdu World Championships next week ?

    In major events such as the Olympic they used multiple cameras, especially in replay. I guess it all depends on the budget of the event. See the Mens final below (look at the third point), they used a high-angle camera but replay using a lower-angle camera


  16. Gtsnake is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 83
    Gtsnake's Avatar
    Gtsnake is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 83 19

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2011
    United States
    83
    19
    71
    Read 0 Reviews
    #16
    I just don't understand how some people like the side angle. Imagine at a tennis match sitting at the "50 yd line" you would constantly be moving your head side to side just to follow the ball. Then you miss the players movement without the ball and can't see how they prepare to hit each stroke. Not only that side angle view flattens the curves so you can't really see how much the ball path curves. In TT that's like the most important part of the game.

    I'm sure they do it because they can prominently display sponsor ads but there has to be another way to display ads on angled views.

  17. Gtsnake is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 83
    Gtsnake's Avatar
    Gtsnake is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 83 19

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2011
    United States
    83
    19
    71
    Read 0 Reviews
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by benjat
    You only stated a problem (which I somewhat agree with you about having to move your head side to side in a sport faster than tennis is some ways) but did not propose a solution. What is your best proposed solution, if you have one ?

    Your country (USA)'s national championshiips 2022 showed view from back of a player which was horrible.
    Not that I did not enjoy watching women's events with this view ( my mind is in the gutter as is most men & women) but was horrible tabletennis wise

    Well I thought that was obvious. The solution would be to have the camera angle off axis. At a diagonal where most of the early rounds of the tournaments have placed them. You can see most of the playing area and don't need to move your head/eyes at all. You would be able to see ball path much more precisely.

    You do realize that the "country" is not responsible for camera placement? Right?


  18. Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 1,054 925
    B
    Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 925 1,054

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2015
    Christmas Island
    925
    1,054
    1893
    Read 0 Reviews
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtsnake
    I just don't understand how some people like the side angle. Imagine at a tennis match sitting at the "50 yd line" you would constantly be moving your head side to side just to follow the ball. Then you miss the players movement without the ball and can't see how they prepare to hit each stroke. Not only that side angle view flattens the curves so you can't really see how much the ball path curves. In TT that's like the most important part of the game.

    Okay I'll try to answer this. I like the side angle because imo play over the table has become the most important part of the game. And you see everything over the table from the side view, but very little from the diagonal.

    I hope we all agree the view from directly behind a player where all you see is their back is the worst.

    To state the obvious about the tennis analogy, the table is really small, tennis courts are big. Maybe you watch on a 70" tv or smth. On my laptop I can watch the side angle with no problems.

    And finally, the only time when I went to a live ITTF event, 2019 Austrian Open, I found I had by far the best view from the side, behind the umpire.

    So those are the reasons I prefer the side angle. I can live with the diagonal that many people prefer.

    The Following User Likes Brs's Post:

    Tipiak


  19. Gtsnake is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 83
    Gtsnake's Avatar
    Gtsnake is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 83 19

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2011
    United States
    83
    19
    71
    Read 0 Reviews
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by benjat
    Thanks for proposing a solution.

    However I am sitting here in Adelaide, Australia wondering what made you infer that I meant to even remotely suggest that your (whole) country (USA) was responsible.
    All I said was your country's national championship. I never meant to imply or propose any conspiracy theory that Donald J Trump passed legislation during his presidency on camera angles unearthed by FBI in the top secret documents found at his Palm Beach motel that proves widespread voter fraud by illegal aliens (from other galaxies) at ballot boxes causing him to lose the 2020 election

    When you say "your country" it specifically points to a group. If you would have said "during the US championships" it wouldn't have pointed towards anything specific. Which is how I inferred that you were specifying responsibility. Although I wouldn't put it past the Donald for conspiring to corrupt the tournament even though he wasn't the president at the time.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.