The 'power' of the block

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think you mean Cantona's goal:

Here's another nice one of him :p

That looks like it is the one. I figured you would remember it. Thanks WiWa. I love that goal. The other goal you posted is pretty cool also. :) He has a lot of control. It is kind of crazy how much control he has. That is good stuff. Very artistic.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
The second goal just seems like they let him make it because it was a memorial match..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Waldner was amazing with the control that he had.
It would be awesome to see JO Waldner get in shape and play against Ma Long. Unfortunately I doubt i will happen.
And here is a goal that I like a lot:

He fooled the camera man with how good is footwork was. :)

But Waldner's back is not good enough to compete at the highest levels any more. That is one thing about sports, you can never take someone who was the best in one era and have him/her play the best from another era. The older athlete is always past his prime. Even Ma Long playing Wang Liqin is a mismatch at this point and Wang Liqin, who was great in his time, is 13 years younger than Waldner.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The skill and control of the footwork in some of those great football clips really does remind me of the skill and control of the spin and the table that Waldner exhibits. He is really a magician.

Also, Eric Cantona's celebration after the first goal reminds me exactly of how Waldner walks off after that shot at the end against Liu Gouliang. Both understated and overstated because of the bravado of the self-assuredness. Waldner is just standing there waiting for Liu Gouliang's around the net shot, which, against almost anyone else would have been a out and out winner. He is just standing upright waiting in the right position and he just blocks it back easy, where Gouliang is not going to get it. And he is just standing there upright, with a haughty expression and then just walks to the side. And Cantona, right after he kicks the ball, he just stands upright and watches, like he knows it is going to be perfectly in the corner of the net. And he stands and watches his shot. And then he casually turns around and raises his arms with that same kind of expression. I have to say, I love it. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
If you remember the former 11 times England Champion; Desmond Dougles. He always advise table tennis player to 'learn to block or else..', his interpretation is that if you can't block a shot, how can you effectively go for a kill?