How to help the mind of my GF

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi everyone. I would like to help my girlfriend. Shes playing table tennis since shes 14 years old, now shes 21. Shes so good in the training, a bit worse in the matches. Since shes 14 years old, she like and have fun with the training, but when she plays matches (It doesn't matter if the matches are between us or in tournaments or leagues) If she fails at any point, she gets angry very quickly, and begins to say things, she is not able to quickly forget the point and go for the next one. If on training days we play a game, she tries to avoid it, and if we finally play, she gets angry and thoughtful all the training.What pisses her off is to miss shots that do not fail in training, and that makes start to get angry because she is not able to play the same as in training, but she gets even more angry because she herself says that behavior belongs to a girl and she has been trying to change it all her life but she does not know how.
Any suggestions? :)

This user has no status.
Hi everyone. I would like to help my girlfriend. Shes playing table tennis since shes 14 years old, now shes 21. Shes so good in the training, a bit worse in the matches. Since shes 14 years old, she like and have fun with the training, but when she plays matches (It doesn't matter if the matches are between us or in tournaments or leagues) If she fails at any point, she gets angry very quickly, and begins to say things, she is not able to quickly forget the point and go for the next one. If on training days we play a game, she tries to avoid it, and if we finally play, she gets angry and thoughtful all the training.What pisses her off is to miss shots that do not fail in training, and that makes start to get angry because she is not able to play the same as in training, but she gets even more angry because she herself says that behavior belongs to a girl and she has been trying to change it all her life but she does not know how.

Happens to almost everyone. Me too!
Its just disappointment at herself for messing up something she thought she could or should be able to do. Encourage her to play more matches, and tell her that there are at least 44 points in a 7 game match, so one or two or even five isn’t that big of a deal. Tell her that it’s okay to miss and that the top player miss all the time. Once she gets used to it she will have a better view on losing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hi everyone. I would like to help my girlfriend. Shes playing table tennis since shes 14 years old, now shes 21. Shes so good in the training, a bit worse in the matches. Since shes 14 years old, she like and have fun with the training, but when she plays matches (It doesn't matter if the matches are between us or in tournaments or leagues) If she fails at any point, she gets angry very quickly, and begins to say things, she is not able to quickly forget the point and go for the next one. If on training days we play a game, she tries to avoid it, and if we finally play, she gets angry and thoughtful all the training.What pisses her off is to miss shots that do not fail in training, and that makes start to get angry because she is not able to play the same as in training, but she gets even more angry because she herself says that behavior belongs to a girl and she has been trying to change it all her life but she does not know how.Any suggestions? :)

If you Want to have sex you need to let her win:)I would say she needs to relax and stop caring so much, she is not a pro and win or lose her life is not depending on it

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I also asked the same question to my veteran clubmate. I asked him, " How come when I stroke with you, I am able to do such a beautiful shot and we are able to hit to and fro nicely but when it comes to match play, I sucks and cannot execute beautiful shots like those when stroking? "

And this was his answer to me, " Hey Gozo, during stroke I am cooperating with you but in matchplay I am competing against you. I purposely try to make it difficult for you to play your return "

When your GF realise this, it is easy to abandon that frustration feeling knowing that you are playing against a non cooperative player.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Training is one thing, Club matches are one thing, and tourney matches are another animal entirely.

It requires one to have a totally different being for tourney matches. I allow myself to say this or that in club as a way to hold myself accountable, but in the big picture, failing at the training situation or in a club match is one of the things that grows level.

When I am able to understand that and execute a stronger mental in tourneys like I am a different Der_Echte, then I consistently do better in tourney matches over the last 2-3 years.

OP, What you are describing is an early phase of evolution.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

hi sergito
what you and your gf need to understand is that the ideal fh and bh you make in practice, in a match they become only a helpful reference guide to making your imperfect shots work. This is because your opponents are devoted to putting you into positions where you are off balance. However if you have practiced well you will have the knowledge to adapt your strokes during the match. If you have anxiety that your match stroke is not picture perfect you should put that aside and aim at being comfortable as possible while ensuring that your return is in and pressures opponent if possible.
Take the time to study a ML vsTB match and appreciate how nearly all the time their strokes are wonderful but not text book because of the tactics of the opponent.
Also perhaps you and yr gf could do some random placement drills during practice with emphasis on successful but not necessarily beautiful shots under pressure include return of nets and edges .
good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Make a compilation video showing whatever pro players she likes missing balls in matches that should be easy for them. Or just watch a match or two at the world championships together and see how often they miss and what they do to move on to the next point.

If they train everyday of their life for hours in the best conditions with the best coaches and partners and sometimes they still make unforced errors in matches, how can she expect to never miss?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Find a new girlfriend, or another mutually enjoyable hobby.

If you want both, then do what Dominik said.