Comeback of the year - Truls vs Lim - Houston 2021

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
What a comeback! Truls had nothing to lose after 0-3 down and he started doing tricks and float balls to mess up LJH’s rhythm.

Pity for LJH, he is playing so well this tournament, just lacks experience to deal with the changes in speed that Truls created. Even someone so fast like LYJ couldn’t beat LJH in speed battle.

It seems Stiga chose the right time and right player to promote their cybershape blade.

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I actually think he did those trick shots not to mess with lim's rhythm but because he had given up in his mind and just wanted to finish it but then he realized lim struggled and then he got motivated again and tried to turn it around which he did
Yeah probably. I have the same feeling that Truls already gave up and he was surprised when Lim couldn’t finish the game. Incredible comeback but it feels strange at the same time because it’s somewhat “accidental”.

On the other hand, probably Lim lost his concentration after 3-0 and gave Truls the chance. Mentality and momentum can change so quickly, especially for young players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
On a side note about this match, whilst Jimmy Butler and his co-commentator ,who he very frequently referred to as 'Barbara', both provided some welcome insider knowledge into the game along with astute tactical observations, two things very much bothered me:

1- About half way through the first game Barbara pointed out that Truls was playing with an unusually shaped bat. At this point Jimmy commended her on noticing this and himself said this is the first he'd seen of this and that they would have to look into it. My issue with this is that it shows that neither commentator had watched any of Truls' previous matches in this competition nor have they had any research done about him beyond what is presented on screen (age, nationality, WR). This is fine if your casually watching a game but when being paid to commentate on a World Championship match then you ought to have some knowledge about what you're talking about that goes beyond your own playing days.

2- Both commentators seemed biased towards Truls to the point that it made me feel uncomfortable.

I welcome Jimmy and Barbara and would love to hear more from them. Just please with a bit of research and less bias.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That was one of the most surreal matches to see live.

I asked a friend of mine who coached whether Truls will change his philosophical approach to technique. He laughed and said he needed to watch the match but Truls probably gave up. Slapping loops and strawberry looping does look like it to me. But Lim struggled massively and it reminds me of my late coach who felt that you needed the mindset to loop every type of ball no matter what your opponent did. I felt Lim just fell apart once the match structure didn't follow the rules he thought they were supposed to. The Chinese would reimpose those rules.

Reactions: iammaru and Richie