Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 7
    R
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 7 5

Interview with Truls after his win against Lim. Incl. comments on his mental game.

An interview done in Swedish which I have translated and transcribed to the best of my ability. See below. As often happens with written translations, many sayings don't 100% translate and are subject to be misinterpreded.

Since he is talking about his mantal game which I've seen many having a strong reaction about, I really don't want to wrongfully convey his meaning.

If we have any more swedes here please comment if you think i translated something wrong. I will also check and respond if I find that you might misunderstood something due to my translation. Ofcourse it's always hard to know someone's true meaning, especially in a short interview like this.

I would also like to add that the tone of the reporter is that of a friend who is well accustomed to to 'the talk', but at the same time doing an official interview.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reporter(R): Truls Möregårdh, one of the sickest(craziest) matches so far this world championship and also in the history of world championships. You turn the match around from a seamingly hopless situation 0-3 to 4-3, and the way you do it.. What do you say about the match, do we have an hour available

Truls(T): Yes that is needed , I don't know what to say actually. It was a very special/peculiar match. I had no chance in the beginning and then I tried to find stuff which he doesn't like. I win the 4th set even though I play "normal" table tennis. Then the last three sets I just freestyled and played many different spins, and "no look" shots. A lot of freestyling and that is the way I want to play and what I think is fun.

R: Yes and it is extremly appealing to the viewers. You have a nimble wrist and can do most things with the ball. And when you on top of that find the creativity and succeed, you offer a very different play. But you also had a body language which got into the head of your opponent. What are your thoughts regarding the psychological warfare you conducted very successfully, like no other?

T: You can win games in different ways. I den här matchen ser jag "arrogant" ut, and doesn't look like I care at all and freestyle and stuff. That's how I win games. Some may fight their way back and play better, but I chose this tactic which has worked previously, and i'm very happy with it. To be able to do this in a world championship 1/16 is fantastic!

R: You say it your self, you're in the mens singels quarterfinals. What do you say about that?

T: It's sick(crazy), really sick. I am living the dream right now, but I'm not satisfied yet. I will let this match sink in, will take a couple of hours. Then it's just to keep going!

R: You were out of the tournament, outclassed. Not one but to feet out the door. Stellan Bengtsson (the coach, wttc champ -71) had already packed the bags. You were out, but you turn it around! How goes your thoughts when you see your opponent start to hesitate?

T: Well, I looked him straight in the eyes after each point, and tried to win the metal game 100%. He was the better player until tha last three sets where I totally crushed him, with this 'fun playstyle'. When he gets nervous and I play like that it's no fun for him(pointing more towards 'good for him' than the fun part). Well it's fantastic (for me).

R: We saw previously in the tournament where he (Lim Jong-hoon) have played an unbelivable rapid, quick and modern gameplay, which have blown the opponents off the court(swedish saying). And here comes a creative wrist which he hasn't tasted before very often I presume. Where do you rank this win in your career?

T: The biggest, i think. Definately with regards to how it played out. Also the most insane. I don't understand how I won it and with those numbers against such a good player. Totally Insane!

R: You said it yourself before we started the interview: 'What just happened?' And that's what everyone is wondering,

T: mhm

R: perhaps Lim(Lim Jong-hoon) the most.

T: mhm ainst Lim. Incl.

R: How do you refocus on the quarterfinals after such a game? What will you do now after this interview?

T: I will call my family, and shout and maybe even cry a bit. It will be fun to talk to them. I wished they all could be here. They mean alot to me. I will call them, and then check out Kristian vs Aruna, my future opponent in the quarter finals. It will be a lot of fun. I'm fully ready for my next match!

R: I wish you good luck, and thanks for the show!

The Following 5 Users Like RicardoGatsopare's Post:

antonymous, Dream2K and 3 others

This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 7
    R
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 7 5
    [video=face]https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/svenskbordtennis/videos/332758658196420[/video]

This user has no status.

TTD Member 5 7
    R
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 7 5
    I found it very intresting that he has such a unique mental game on top of his unique gameplay. Hate it or love it. All I know is that when he plays, I don't want to miss a point!

However i think it's very liberating and healthy that he talks about it openly in an interview. Please be respectful regardless of opinion.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 201 327
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 327 201

Thanks for making the effort to do this RicardoGatsopare - all of us non-Swedish speakers appreciate it!