Is Truls the new Waldner??

says Aging is a killer
Many are saying is Truls the new Waldner? What do you think?

Certainly, that is, in terms of innovativeness and willingness to use unusual strokes in high level tournaments.
But, as BRS said, a few more years of winning said high level tournaments before Truls can truly be the new Waldner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Many are saying is Truls the new Waldner? What do you think?

People used to call Waldner the Mozart of table tennis. There was something about Waldner at his peak that was truly special. He was a once in a generation master of the game. For Truls to earn that accolade he'll have to win some important tournaments (as others have said), but he'll have to do more than just win - he'll have to demonstrate that 'something special' that set Mozart apart from Salieri.

I think comparing Truls to Mozart is way premature - maybe, for now, he's the new ABBA?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Too soon. This is the first big tournament that Truls goes far, with more or less luck on his side (regarding draw and the match against LJH). Once he is seen as a real threat, other players will study him and find ways to beat him, that’s when we can confirm if he is really good. I still have doubt. Normally players that often do trick shots are moody and inconsistent.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
It's the magic batshape anyway. Soon everyone will have it. Stiga is getting rich off this WTTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think he is really talented. Of course he also got a bit lucky to not face a Chinese and an injured Timo boll in the semi finals but he is 19 and probably still will get better.

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I think he is really talented. Of course he also got a bit lucky to not face a Chinese and an injured Timo boll in the semi finals but he is 19 and probably still will get better.

Many are really talented. For example, LYU or WCQ. My impression when I see LYU is like, wow, that is so obviously hugely beautiful (and also kind of physical), but when I see TM, I think more like, wow, that is bat-shit crazy (also kind of mental). Well, that's my impression anyways...

This user has no status.
Many are really talented. For example, LYU or WCQ. My impression when I see LYU is like, wow, that is so obviously hugely beautiful (and also kind of physical), but when I see TM, I think more like, wow, that is bat-shit crazy (also kind of mental). Well, that's my impression anyways...
Yeah, I know what you mean. Truls is 19 years old, sometimes plays the power game with crazy fast counter loops FZD-style. And then mixes things up with extreme variation (chop blocks, wide angle low over the net side spin returns, etc). So he is really unpredictable. Add to that what seems to be great mental strength. Lets hope he can keep healthy and improve stability.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Yeah, I know what you mean. Truls is 19 years old, sometimes plays the power game with crazy fast counter loops FZD-style. And then mixes things up with extreme variation (chop blocks, wide angle low over the net side spin returns, etc). So he is really unpredictable. Add to that what seems to be great mental strength. Lets hope he can keep healthy and improve stability.

His style is uniquely entertaining. These days mens TT is mainly Bh-Bh rally close to the table (LJK, FZD, LGY, LYY). Very boring to watch.

I am glad Truls plays very creatively.

Reactions: SamTheMan