Petition to Change the disgusting Camera Angle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I don't understand why they can't stick with this format ->

It's got a great combination of different angles, such as the corner angle or the zoomed in at the service angle would be great to have more of it, and even if there's a slight side angle, then it's very zoomed in and quite low.

But there is none of that disgusting side angle that is almost from a bird view, are we the spectators supposed to be like pigeons now watching matches from the balcony of a building? The majority of this video angle view is of course the front angle and that's how it should be.

And now I recently watched some videos in Singapore and they're bumping some awful music in between the points... They couldn't make it anymore horrible to watch TT than it is already.

I don't understand why they can't stick to how is in this video ->

Last edited:

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012

I must admit I've gotten used to the side angle. It still sucks when they place the camera too high, but the Singapore example is actually rather good.

Untitled%20png.png

It's still super annoying when the players move away and exit the frame, but that's easily remedied by zooming out and slightly swiveling the camera left or right (like they're doing in WTT cup final).

However, narrow angle lenses and static cameras should just not be allowed, that makes the matches almost unwatchable.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
People should be clicking the Like button on the LongTimeTTFan's comment in this video. He's almost got 40 likes and it shows how many people dislike the bird view side angle. But the problem is, does WTT/ITTF even care and notice that LongTimeTTFan has so many likes?

A side angle that is slightly nearer the corner and much lower like in that video posted above between Chen Chien An and Jang Woo Jin as well as the standard front view and combination of corner angles would be much better.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
guys, I found this petition on youtube from a famous table tennis channel.

Please if you really want to change the camera angle you should sign this petition.
Thanks for your attention!

Thanks very much for posting the petition link TTLOVE :)

Everyone, momentum is building slowly but surely, please take a minute of your time to sign the petition if you wish for things to change !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
The funny thing is the WTT Feeder series that just finished a few days ago actually has a good angle.

Yep, that's exactly right. The feeder series has better angles than the top class series..
And did you notice how the top series is made to look like a MMA show?

Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Why do they still keep doing this though? Despite the overwhelming majority of comments and likes on their videos saying how bad the camera angle is.

For me this is just so much better to watch
Than this

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
The table tennis authorities do seem to be hell bent on ruining the game. It is obvious that their numerous various changes to the ball, for whatever reasons, have contributed to the decline of:
- Japanese penhold - now basically extinct at the top level
- Traditional Chinese penhold looping - there are very few left and those who do play penhold just play like shakehanders
- Short pips penhold hitters - their vital spinny serves are less spinny and there is less room for spin variation with the new balls
- Choppers - their chops aren’t spinny enough
- Funky Spin players (ie Kenta Matsudaira) - same reason as short pips hitters
- Mid distance loopers - the ball is slower and less spinny so they just stay at the table (like Timo Bill and Ma Long — they changed strategy)

The main justification given for these equipment changes was TO MAKE THE SPORT MORE VIEWABLE.

So now we just watch some sad broken shell of table tennis — two identical players playing perfect identical close to the table games: identical serves, followed by identical backhand flicking followed by a forehand or punch block winner. The same drill basically every point. Now we don’t even get to watch it from a good angle anymore. No diversity, just two players battling to see who has mastered the meta.

Every bit of damage the ITTF has done to the diversity of table tennis has been to make it more ‘viewable’ to its watchers — so they should just find a good angle or two and stick to it before they do anymore damage.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
After a few months of break from the side angle and now in this Contender event being back to it again, I'm no longer able to enjoy watching TT again like I have for the past few months where there has been a break from the side angle for a while.

What I've noticed when watching matches that are in the lower corner angle, I'm able to almost perceive and feel the player as if I'm actually able to metamorphosize and feel the player using each body part how it's utilized and the energy being generated into the ball.

Howerver I'm not able to feel that energy and feel the player when watching the side angle now in this recent Contender except for looking at the ball left and right and basically feeling a pure disgust 🤮.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
This might have been my first ever match of Ma Long that I didn't finish watching and stopped watching somewhere half-way through. Not because Felix Lebrun wasn't good enough or interesting enough to face Ma Long, but because of that damn angle.

I found myself just staring right at the center of the net, the entire time, I guess I'm a bit tired to keep chasing the ball left and right. But even if I wasn't feeling tired to keep looking left and right, there's nothing really to see there, when looking at either Ma Long or Felix Lebrun, I'm not able to feel their energy generating from their movements the same way I would feel if the camera view was behind them.

If I could I would probably post hundreds of puke emojis to describe the feeling of watching TT in this disgusting angle but I will only post a few -> 🤮🤮🤮

They're really ruining the sport with this angle.

Reactions: AndroidRX93
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think the reason for the angle is simply saving money and not because ITTF/WTT think it is superior.

You only need a single fixed camera (basically a glorified webcam) and you don't need to pay a cameraman who is moving the camera and zooming in and out.

So it isn't really an awareness or "caring" thing or WTT trying to reinvent the wheel but simply saving money and personnel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018
This might have been my first ever match of Ma Long that I didn't finish watching and stopped watching somewhere half-way through. Not because Felix Lebrun wasn't good enough or interesting enough to face Ma Long, but because of that damn angle.

I found myself just staring right at the center of the net, the entire time, I guess I'm a bit tired to keep chasing the ball left and right. But even if I wasn't feeling tired to keep looking left and right, there's nothing really to see there, when looking at either Ma Long or Felix Lebrun, I'm not able to feel their energy generating from their movements the same way I would feel if the camera view was behind them.

If I could I would probably post hundreds of puke emojis to describe the feeling of watching TT in this disgusting angle but I will only post a few -> 🤮🤮🤮

They're really ruining the sport with this angle.

I'm not a massive fan of the side angle but is it really the end of the world? The side angle does also show details that the old view didn't. I personally prefer the corner angle which is being used by wtt more now, but I really think you are being dramatic if you can't watch a match because of the angle. Do you actually enjoy the sport or do you only watch for aesthetics? So while I agree that it isn't the best angle I don't agree that it is 'disgusting' or bad enough to put someone who loves the sport off it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
It is pretty obvious that their reason is money from the sponsorship but that reason is disgusting in itself that they're pandering towards more money making rather than what the vast majority of viewers want and it's not like they'd make any less money from the sponsorship if they cut the side angle and put it back in the corner instead.

Last edited: