Edge tape?

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Do you use edge tape? Why or why not?
There are rumors that edge tape doesn’t actually protect your blade, but also reduces speed and feel. Is this true?

Edge tape in my opinion is there mainly for aesthetics ( for looking good ). It does nothing to the blade at all and does not protect the blade in any sense. Logically, how could a paper thin piece of fabric protect the blade from impact / trauma?

Also, if one changes rubber often, the edge tape is just going to get in the way.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews

Edge tape in my opinion is there mainly for aesthetics ( for looking good ). It does nothing to the blade at all and does not protect the blade in any sense. Logically, how could a paper thin piece of fabric protect the blade from impact / trauma?

Also, if one changes rubber often, the edge tape is just going to get in the way.

I use foam edge-tapes on some of my blades, and they definitely work..

Reactions: latej
says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019
I'm curious as well since there are different opinions on this. Some don't use at all(fzd,ma long, harimoto,etc) whereas some do (yukiya uda,darko jorgic,etc) and there are also some players like timo,dima who just use edge tape partially for a particular length.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Do you use edge tape? Why or why not?
There are rumors that edge tape doesn’t actually protect your blade, but also reduces speed and feel. Is this true?

I use edge tape because it just looks better (IMO), and hides any imperfections in a poor cut of the rubber.

As for the "rumours" - The very fact that as you pointed out, some pro's use it, and some don't, would indicate that it has very little impact on speed/feel etc.

I can't see the 99.99% of players who aren't professional noticing any difference what so ever in their own game, so I'd say you should just go for what you prefer.

For me, I change rubbers twice a year, so for an extra £1 or whatever it is, I'm happy to use the edge tape.

Reactions: Colin Ksh
This user has no status.
I'm curious as well since there are different opinions on this. Some don't use at all(fzd,ma long, harimoto,etc) whereas some do (yukiya uda,darko jorgic,etc) and there are also some players like timo,dima who just use edge tape partially for a particular length.

“I have seven rackets.”
—— Timo Boll
No need for protecting when you are sponsored.

Reactions: Colin Ksh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think sometimes it protects the rubber from peeling off the blade if you scratch the table on a low push.

If you hit the edge of the table hard or throw the bat like truls it still can get damaged.

Obviously for Pro players cost is not an issue so they don't care much about protection because their sponsor will give them new equipment

Sep 2019

“I have seven rackets.”
—— Timo Boll
No need for protecting when you are sponsored.

Exactly. But I'm not sure too whethere using edge tape has massive impact on the characteristic/performance of the blade in the long run. I use an edge tape in my previous setup which is an all wood blade but now I'm considering to purchase new blade and still unsure whether to use edge tape or not.