it's a good idea to talk about injuries

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
The shoulder injury happened due to bodybuilding 6 years ago, of course I quit doing barbells, started playing tennis and all these years everything seemed to be fine, but for the 3rd month I can't play tennis, my shoulder hurts, doctors put tendonitis of tendons and muscles, it hurts terribly and nothing helps. What can save me? help kind people :( :( :( I want to go back to the table again, but I'm afraid I won't be able to anymore.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
The shoulder injury happened due to bodybuilding 6 years ago, of course I quit doing barbells, started playing tennis and all these years everything seemed to be fine, but for the 3rd month I can't play tennis, my shoulder hurts, doctors put tendonitis of tendons and muscles, it hurts terribly and nothing helps. What can save me? help kind people :( :( :( I want to go back to the table again, but I'm afraid I won't be able to anymore.

same with me. Tendons, muscles and in my case also osteoarthritis.
Never goes away.
I deal with it by taking pain killers BEFORE playtime and I make sure when doing FH-work , I keep my arm close to my body and do not
swing too far back.

P.S. Doctors offer is injections of Hydrocortisone............................but then they also want to shoot this stuff into my knee, my hips and between
vertebra s L3 and 4. (Maybe a couple of shots into the brain might help me 😁

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't intend to provide a prescription here, however, with progressing age, I believe everyone faces challenges on fitness and joints, in general. I, myself, had to either take time off just to ease off the pain or take pain killers just to reduce the discomfort.
However, one thing is that I now tend to observe myself and immediately ease off once I start feeling any kind of discomfort. One thing, which everyone knows but seldomly obeys is that we are not that physically fit that we can have prolonged sessions and extend this approach to multiple days.
Having stated the obvious, I realized that instead of taking pain killers, if I change my habits and also incorporate yoga into my morning regime then that greatly helps me in keeping me agile and nimble. I actually, never thanked UpSideDownCarl for it, but it was his photos doing some serious yoga poses which triggered the entire process.
But be aware, that we are not talking about miracles here and to really realize the benefit, it needs to be done daily and has to be integral part of your daily routine.
Kindly also check with your therapist or physician before adopting any new regime, this goes without saying.

Thank you and be safe!
KM1976

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. Shoulders are complicated. It is an possible that doing simple strengthening of your rotator cuff muscles could help. But these are detail oriented exercises with very low weights, or the easy versions of those resistance rubber bands or no weights. Most people, in their enthusiasm use weights that are too heavy.

It is likely best to see an orthopedic doctor, get a referral for physical therapy and have someone who knows what he is doing watch you do the exercises before you do them on your own.

Also, with exercises like ones for strengthening your rotator cuff muscles, most people who need to do them stop doing them way too soon. Like, for 3-5 years, it would be worth doing them several days a week for at least 5-15 min.

However, another reason to go to a doctor is, if there is any damage to your shoulder joint capsule (tendons) or the cartilage in your shoulder, then rotator cuff strengthening may not be what you need. And there is no way to do an assessment of your shoulder without the tools and technology that a good doctor would have access to (X-Rays, MRIs etc). And if your shoulder is as bad as you are saying it is, it is possible you did some soft tissue damage in or around the joint. So, it is worth going to a Dr to have it checked out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019

Some general principles:

• Soft tissues and cartilage are not vascularized, they grow largely through deposition of chondrocyte cells and this is a very slow process. The body's timeframe for repairing these tissues is on the order of months, not weeks. Reset your expectations for how long you must allow for healing of these tissues when they're hurting.
  • Use anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) tactically - to reduce painful swelling and inflammation only when necessary. Otherwise stay away from them - they inhibit tissue repair, interfering with the body's attempts to heal tissue. The RICE protocol and the standard sports medicine recommendations for treating these injuries are designed to get you back to activity, not to promote tissue repair. NSAIDs, ice therapy, compression of joints to remove fluid buildup - these are all detrimental to healing (I realize this may sound counterintuitive). Similarly, hydrocortisone shots are effective at interrupting a cycle of inflammation, but are not a good strategy for encouraging healing.
  • When you have damaged tissues and/or arthritic changes in bones, there is a greater friction and erosion process going on in your joints. When this erosion exceeds the rate at which the tissues are repaired, you risk greater and more permanent damage. Take the time to learn the limits of what you are able to do - and find a sport and a workout schedule that is within the limits of your what your body can handle.
  • In general acute (burning) pain is bad and in the context of bones will lead to arthritic changes, whereas chronic (aching) pain is not as detrimental and it is normal to experience it when tissues are undergoing repair. Use NSAIDs to treat acute pain. For chronic pain (resulting from use of injured tissues), typically this is just something you should expect to occur as a part of healing.
One thing I can highly recommend is prolotherapy. Essentially this is injections of a glucose solution into affected tissues. It may sound far-fetched, but your body does not like sugar. Prolotherapy sets up a trauma reaction in the tissues, which leads to an extended period of tissue repair. The tissue growth in response to prolo can be pretty remarkable (it was even more remarkable years ago when they also added HGH, now banned in the USA). Just a little warning - prolo shots in the area of the shoulder and back will cause a great deal of pain after about an hour when the trauma response sets in. You might want a prescription of valium to go with it. Usually about 24 hours after prolo you can work out the stiffness in the area where you got the shots, and after 48 hours can get back to normal usage.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
thank you for your advice, unlike my doctor, who said "well, what can I tell you, learn to play with your left hand":(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Alternatively, you can join the dark side and push block with OX LP and other "junk" rubbers or have a more tactical, less offensive/power oriented style of play. You'd still be able to win at the lower levels and not have to stay too far from the table or loop. Maybe table tennis groupies won't be screaming for the chance to have your children anymore but pissing off lower leveled loopers could be a reward if you frame it right :>.

Last edited: