Bfly too expensive, rubber advice please

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I can't justify cost of butterfly anymore. I'm currently playing only a few hours a week, but do want to get back to more playing time. But 50% more than most of the other rubbers out there...nope.

I love the ALC so won't be changing that. I have 05 on FH, and 05FX on BH and I do love them both. I mostly drive and block, return serve with pushes with BH and loop when I get a ball I'm confident in. FH is looping and drive. Serve 90% with FH mostly underspin variations. I'm a powerful type of hitter.

After reading a bit..I'm leaning here:
Fastarc G-1 FH
Fastarc C-1 BH

I've played with bluefire before and was disappointed after 6-8 weeks as playing characterstics changed with the rubber and just had no durability. I don't want any similar factory type stuff wearing out quickly. So hopefully, the fastarc last a good bit.

Fire away with any advice please.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012

I forgot to mention that. I've read that tibhar falls off like bluefire did. Meaning, it's play changes a little and wears quickly. Just from that alone, it disinterests me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Pretty much all "Made in Germany" rubbers are made in the same factory by the same company (ESN). This includes rubbers from Donic, Nittaku, Stiga, Xiom, Tibhar, Andro, Joola, Victas and others. How long the rubbers lasts should be pretty much the same for all of these rubbers as the same manufacturing process is used.The only non-German alternative to Tenergy to my knowledge would be the VJ (Made in Japan) series from Victas. There's also some rubbers from Nexy but I haven't used them so I can't comment.There's obviously one million different Chinese rubbers to buy for way less money but they typically requires regular boosting and a change of how you loop.Edit: The Nittaku FastArc rubbers are also made by ESN.

Last edited:
Reactions: j-bo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The FastArc G-1 max. thickness worked fine for my forehand. Unfortunately tabletennis11.com doesn't have the pay 3 get 4 deal on G-1 right now so it's $43.03 per sheet. C-1 is $42.07 * 3 / 4.0 if you buy 4. Plus shipping. Shipping is free above a certain $ amount which with 4 sheets you make.
I use Yinhe Moon Medium Max. thickness as an alternative for the G-1, and Moon Soft on the backhand. $11.50 per sheet + shipping, and comes with glue and rubber protector. I will try Palio AK47 blue/soft on the backhand next ;-)
http://www.princett.com/EN/USD/product/Galaxy-Moon-Table-tennis-Pimples-in-Rubber-Max-Tense-117.html
Shipping takes about 3-4 weeks from Hong Kong to USA.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Pretty much all "Made in Germany" rubbers are made in the same factory by the same company (ESN). This includes rubbers from Donic, Nittaku, Stiga, Xiom, Tibhar, Andro, Joola, Victas and others. How long the rubbers lasts should be pretty much the same for all of these rubbers as the same manufacturing process is used.The only non-German alternative to Tenergy to my knowledge would be the VJ (Made in Japan) series from Victas. There's also some rubbers from Nexy but I haven't used them so I can't comment.There's obviously one million different Chinese rubbers to buy for way less money but they typically requires regular boosting and a change of how you loop.Edit: The Nittaku FastArc rubbers are also made by ESN.

Thank you. I did not know this. Strange that many posts don't complain about durability in a lot of those companies and the tibhar evolutions, and my own experience with the bluefires, drop off was quite noticeable. I'll have to delve more to see why that is.

I liked the reviews of the evolution and if I hadn't read so much about durability issues I'd probably go with MX-P on FH and "something" on the BH.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
There's always Rozena which is a cheaper Tenergy like rubber. Doesn't have the durability issues that ESN rubbers have.
Or I played with Yasaka Hovering Dragon which is a pretty nice and light rubber. Chinese made and doesn't require boosing. It's not sticky, has some catapult effect, not as much as Tenergy but a nice tasteful amount to make the ball fly when it needs, but over the table it's very well behaved.

This user has no status.
It's a well known fact that there is not actual replacement for T05 & Co. You might get something probably similar, but not with the same features.

I did have the Rozena for a while, and unfortunately it's not as spinny/powerful as the T05. But it's probably the closest for a cheaper price.
FastArc are good rubbers, but still different. They do last a long time though.
If you're looking for a good arc/nice curve and decent spin, you will be very surprised with Tibhar Aurus Select. I have been using it for years now, and it always delivers.

Having that in mind, if you like Tenergy, well, just stay with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I'd love to stay with Tenergy.. just the cost of shelling out $160 is killing me. I can live with something similar/close/fairly close/almost as good/ almost but not really as good. I'm aware nothing is a replacement for it. I'm not good enough, not even close, to really notice much. Which is why durability is an issue for me. If XXX brand lasts 6mths, and tenergy 12mths.. what am I really saving. This is the struggle.

Wish I could try a few out (like MXP/Rozena, etc), but then I'm spending $$ I could of just spent on the Tenergy.

I'll be doing a lot more research it looks like. Thanks for the quick help!

Reactions: dajdosta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
I'd love to stay with Tenergy.. just the cost of shelling out $160 is killing me. I can live with something similar/close/fairly close/almost as good/ almost but not really as good. I'm aware nothing is a replacement for it. I'm not good enough, not even close, to really notice much. Which is why durability is an issue for me. If XXX brand lasts 6mths, and tenergy 12mths.. what am I really saving. This is the struggle.

G-1 one is very good forehand rubber. You should go for it. If you are used to softer backhand rubbers like T05fx you could maybe also try Tibhar FX-P or FX-S. These are softer rubbers (42-43 degrees) which have a similar feel as T05FX but are much cheaper. I have never played with Fastarc C1 so can't really tell how it plays.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

Wish I could try a few out (like MXP/Rozena, etc), but then I'm spending $$ I could of just spent on the Tenergy.

I'll be doing a lot more research it looks like. Thanks for the quick help!

Rozena is actually more durable. I'd just go with it. If you search the webs you can get it for 33USD a sheet. You can 2 sheets for the price of one Tenergy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020

You could explore the Rakza family. Durability is good.

Reactions: KM1976 and Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
G-1 is a fantastic choice for the FH. For the BH, you could consider Xiom Vega Europe / Donic Barracuda which are soft rubbers, or Xiom Vega Asia is you want more speed. Rozena is also a very popular BH choice, but I haven't played with it.

what Is wrong with Fastarc G1 used for BH (and also FH)

Reactions: damszelfly
This user has no status.
Double side Fastarc G-1 works pretty well for me. G-1 has relatively good short game capabilities (not the best though, but still very good), as it starts with almost no catapult, but starts to gear up relatively soon, and has spectacular top speed if it is used on faster blades (I use it on Xiom Solo, and with that, it is very easy to play at mid distance).
I would also consider Victas Ventus Extra (previously TSP Super Ventus).

Reactions: sasho and j-bo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Victas v>15 extra on FH

And either Tibhar mx P/S or Fastarc G-1 or Xiom Vega pro would be my alternative choice for your bh
Very interesting. I am now leaning towards this recommendation.. V15extar FH, G1 BH, not quite sold on G1 BH as not sure how comparitive it is to 05FX but wondering if could maybe even flip flop these and go G1FH and V15extra BH depending on how things turn out. Other choice would be Rozena for BH.

I don't remember seeing it, but are either the v15 or G1 factory boosted like other ESN's and will fall off in play after awhile? I see both have comments of long durablity.

This review helped, I wonder if yogi_bear still feels the same about it or others feel the same as he wrote it.
V15 review

Reactions: yoass