What do you consider the "modern" style of table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
In an interview after WTTC houston Timo spoke about how his game isn't the modern style, and references trying to adapt to this modern style:
What do people here understand by this term; what constitutes the modern style of table tennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
In an interview after WTTC houston Timo spoke about how his game isn't the modern style, and references trying to adapt to this modern style:
What do people here understand by this term; what constitutes the modern style of table tennis?

Just look at Harimoto, Lin Yun-Yu, and Liang Jingkun.

They represent the most modern style:
1- Close to table
2- BH oriented
3- Short fast strokes
4- More hitting than brushing
5- Hitting the ball earlier than before

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong
says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

POWAR! MOAR POWAR!

Modern TT means you have to be in BEAST MODE each and every time you hit a return.

That is why you see ESN rubber hitting 55 - 57 degree hardness on ESN scale which many years ago was considered insane.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I agree. Playing closer to table, more loop drive than slow spin and using Banana flip to open instead of push.

Harimoto is probably the prototype of this.

Timo also adjusted his game that way, albeit of course not as extreme as harimoto, he now plays closer to the table and less spinny loops than he used to.

BTW I think there is a little backlash with the "supermodern" game like harimoto. Of course those tools like early and harder hitting and opening flick still is used a lot but overall I think it is getting a bit more balanced again. When harimoto came up many struggled with his super aggressive game but later they adjusted a little.

I think if you watch FZD and ma long now for example they are still using flick but they are using more short push again since people got better at counter looping that flick.

So being able to do the harimoto style is very helpful but if you are super one dimensional and radical with that game like harimoto the opponents have figured out that a little.

NDH

says Spin to win!
To add to this (and I agree with the above), I personally think that the "super modern" style won't have as good a results as the more traditional modern style when it comes to local league, tournament and "sub Pro" level.

Spin and consistency are the things you need to win matches at that level, and I don't see that changing personally.

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
To add to this (and I agree with the above), I personally think that the "super modern" style won't have as good a results as the more traditional modern style when it comes to local league, tournament and "sub Pro" level.

Spin and consistency are the things you need to win matches at that level, and I don't see that changing personally.

I agree. Close table attack with both wings and backhand flick is important but if you watch ma long he can do that but also hit a slow loop or play behind the table.

But if you watch the women they will basically only play close table fast shots, there is less variation with them