Better to get Butterfly?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Is it better to get a non factory boosted rubber like rozena or get german ESN rubbers that wear out after a month or 2?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is a personal choice. Some people like Tacky rubbers. Some people like the ESN rubbers and some like Butterfly. I actually like a few of the ESN rubbers better after the factory tuning wears off. MXP is one of those. But Butterfly rubbers really last long and play well. So, even though you pay more, they can be cost effective based on how long they last.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
It is a personal choice. Some people like Tacky rubbers. Some people like the ESN rubbers and some like Butterfly. I actually like a few of the ESN rubbers better after the factory tuning wears off. MXP is one of those. But Butterfly rubbers really last long and play well. So, even though you pay more, they can be cost effective based on how long they last.

Can u give a estimate comparison of how long butterfly rozena lasts? I know ESN lasts like 1-2 months.

NDH

says Spin to win!
ESN rubbers are only going to wear off after a month or 2 if you are playing a fair bit (2-3 times a week).

Personally, I use Tenergy, and have done for 5 years because it lasts longer and gradually declines rather than "falling off a cliff".

It's still the most expensive option, but it's not quite as bad as the sticker price would tell you, because you don't have to replace it as often.

It's about taste though, and if you don't mind the ESN rubbers once they've lost their boost, you can save plenty of money!

ESN rubbers are only going to wear off after a month or 2 if you are playing a fair bit (2-3 times a week).

Personally, I use Tenergy, and have done for 5 years because it lasts longer and gradually declines rather than "falling off a cliff".

It's still the most expensive option, but it's not quite as bad as the sticker price would tell you, because you don't have to replace it as often.

It's about taste though, and if you don't mind the ESN rubbers once they've lost their boost, you can save plenty of money!
I play currently about once a week and a Rakza 7 lasts at least a year. A rubber isn't gone because it looks a little worn and has lost a little grip and or bounce...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
I play currently about once a week and a Rakza 7 lasts at least a year. A rubber isn't gone because it looks a little worn and has lost a little grip and or bounce...

Cheers
L-zr

I agree about the durability of several rubbers. But if the rubber loses its grip it is a deathssentence for it^^.
Balls dropping off of your racket, when they didnt behave like that before is a really bad thing but shouldnt happen after 1-2months into playing, except you are leaving you racket in the open and without any cover.
With good care you can play many rubbers for at least half a year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Can u give a estimate comparison of how long butterfly rozena lasts? I know ESN lasts like 1-2 months.

I think that is a myth, I know many guys who play ESN rubbers for 4-5 months.

They will probably lose a little but so will every other rubber, pros even switch dignics very frequently

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I think that is a myth, I know many guys who play ESN rubbers for 4-5 months.

They will probably lose a little but so will every other rubber, pros even switch dignics very frequently

I won't say it is a myth. The boost effect does wear off and there is a dropoff in play. Sometimes that happens after a few weeks. But the rubbers still play well. The sponges on all of those rubbers from ESN are good enough that they don't need the tuning that makes people feel they are amazing for the first few weeks. In some ways they may be better for an amateur after the factory tuning wears off because they allow you to have more control on your shots after.

I honestly have no idea how long Rozena lasts since I have never used the rubber, let alone owning a sheet and using it till it is no longer useable.

But my gauge for when a rubber is done is the topsheet and how it grips the ball....like what Attitude referred to. If the topsheet does not grab the ball and you cannot spin with it, then it is time for a new rubber for sure. And all of those ESN rubbers have nice topsheets that grab the ball well and are still good long after the tuning of the sponge has worn off.

I won't say it is a myth. The boost effect does wear off and there is a dropoff in play. Sometimes that happens after a few weeks. But the rubbers still play well. The sponges on all of those rubbers from ESN are good enough that they don't need the tuning that makes people feel they are amazing for the first few weeks. In some ways they may be better for an amateur after the factory tuning wears off because they allow you to have more control on your shots after.

I honestly have no idea how long Rozena lasts since I have never used the rubber, let alone owning a sheet and using it till it is no longer useable.

But my gauge for when a rubber is done is the topsheet and how it grips the ball....like what Attitude referred to. If the topsheet does not grab the ball and you cannot spin with it, then it is time for a new rubber for sure. And all of those ESN rubbers have nice topsheets that grab the ball well and are still good long after the tuning of the sponge has worn off.

The sollution is simple, dont boost.
BTW, One of the guys in our club has more power and spin with his old (at least 10 yrs) rancid rack than with his new ones, an I tell You there some real power and spin here. I beleive that rubbers lasts a lot longer than being given credit for.

Cheers
L-zrt

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I won't say it is a myth. The boost effect does wear off and there is a dropoff in play.

The problem always comes down to ability.

The internet is pretty damn amazing. Being able to ask for advice from other enthusiasts when you have no one close to home and get answers quickly is fantastic.

But it also means people over analyse the situation, listen to too many people/reviews, and feel they need to follow the same advice as Timo Boll.

The reality for many entry level/hobby/lower level players is that the boost effect and subsequent drop off will have very little difference, and probably won't be noticeable at all.

It's a concern that very few people will realistically need to worry about, and those who do, already know who they are.

If I start looping balls long, not feeling like I'm getting as much spin on serves, loops.... I know it's time to change.

I could easily carry on, the rubbers would still be absolutely fine for a lower league player, but it's a small disadvantage I personally don't want to live with.

For the OP, I'd recommend slapping some ESN rubbers on and just going with it - They are pretty fun 😁

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl