Are ESN rubbers necessarily bad and expensive?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Is ESN rubbers dying and loosing its factory boosted feel after a few months a bad thing, or smtg that can be accepted, adjusted to, and played for a longer period of times lasting up to a year?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yes, almost all ESN rubber

Bad or not is depend what level are you and what you do a pros or hobbies

Used T05 a year still have the spin, for non sponsored table tennis player no problem for me.. but sometimes itcy to get a fresh one

You can boosted using falco

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Yes, almost all ESN rubber

Bad or not is depend what level are you and what you do a pros or hobbies

Used T05 a year still have the spin, for non sponsored table tennis player no problem for me.. but sometimes itcy to get a fresh one

You can boosted using falco

i play 30 mins everyday as a hobby at home. do you think getting an ESN will be a problem?

NDH

says Spin to win!

i play 30 mins everyday as a hobby at home. do you think getting an ESN will be a problem?

It really depends what you want out of the sport.

If you are new to table tennis, playing at home Forest Gump style, or against a robot, then you can pretty much buy whatever you want, at any price range.

The problem with rubbers "dropping off" when you start to play competitively, is that you'll have to adapt your entire game (gradually) over time, to compensate for the change in rubber quality.

For a player still improving, this can have a negative effect on their ability to get better.

For a player nearer the top of the game, the negative effect will be seen in their results, even though they'll be capable of adapting their play style.

If you are in the early stages of playing the sport, I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
i’m thinking either rozena baraccuda or stiga mantra m for FH
and
either vega europe, europe DF, or aurus sound for BH

which one shall be my best choice?

im using a 90g tibhar stratus powerwood btw

i mosty block and loop attack on my FH
for BH i just do normal topspin.

NDH

says Spin to win!
i’m thinking either rozena baraccuda or stiga mantra m for FH
and
either vega europe, europe DF, or aurus sound for BH

which one shall be my best choice?

im using a 90g tibhar stratus powerwood btw

i mosty block and loop attack on my FH
for BH i just do normal topspin.

What level do you play at?

Generally speaking, it's usually a case of "if you have to ask, it doesn't matter what you get".

Not always, but it's a pretty accurate rule of thumb!

From the rubbers you've mentioned, I don't see you'll have any issues with any of them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021

Generally speaking, it's usually a case of "if you have to ask, it doesn't matter what you get".

From the rubbers you've mentioned, I don't see you'll have any issues with any of them.

i don’t know my level. i just play at home but also have hopes to improve. i just want you guys to simply explain what each of the mentioned rubber’s benefits are and their downsides.

This user has no status.
I would like to add one more phenomenon besides "tuning wear-off". With certain rubbers, I experience, that the topsheet shrinks spectacularly, and the edge of the topsheet raises, which makes thin contacts with the rubber less precise and more difficult.Not all ESN rubbers do this to the same extent, I found very bad ones (Xiom Vega Asia DF, Andro Hexer Powergrip), but some others seem to be not affected by this (my Fastarc C-1 and G-1 rubbers are still level flat many months after their brand new state). Unfortunately, my two week old Tibhar MX-S sheets started to raise edges - I hope, that it will be not too disturbing later because I love the challenges and rewards that rubber gives to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

Good to see you back posting NDH :)

You not using the Harimoto - thought you changed to that a while back?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. NDH's comment is all you need. Any of those rubbers are fine. All of them will last just fine for you. You have obviously read something about ESN rubbers and the factory tuning wearing off. Ignore it. Any ESN rubber will be better for you after the tuning wears off based on the information you presented above that you play 30 min a day at home.

Stuff you read on the internet about equipment, you can't really trust it. It serves a purpose. But if the person making the comment is a significantly different level than you, the comment does not actually apply to your needs.

You can get any of the rubbers on your list. I would not mess around with getting significantly different rubbers for FH and BH. If you know exactly what your FH and BH need and how they differ, that is a different story, but if you don't, just get the same rubber for both sides. Or get a slightly softer version of the same rubber for the BH. For example:

Rakza 7 for FH and Rakza 7 Soft for BH
Vega Pro for FH and Vega Europe for BH.

Equipment is not as important as practice time.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
There are many reports of drop offs in some rubbers performance over time, whether this drop off is easily identifiable for many players is another question.
A sharp rapid drop in performance would be easy to identify, but a slow gradual drop off over say 3 months or more is going to be harder for many to realise.
I would say that for advanced / Pro players the drop in performance is much more significant to them and easily identified by them.
For average players it's likely to be less of an issue and may not even be noticed at all.
Some players may actually prefer how a rubber plays AFTER the deterioration in performance!!!

NDH

says Spin to win!

Good to see you back posting NDH :)

You not using the Harimoto - thought you changed to that a while back?

Hey! it's been a while hasn't it 😁

My son is playing more and more, so I've had to read up about the equipment for more entry/intermediate players and thought I'd come back to this wonderful forum!

The Harimoto blade was (is) OK..... I used it for about 5 months or so, but just found it a little bit passive for my tastes.

I'd never used the TB ALC before (it always seemed so "common" and I liked to have blades that not many other people used!), but after buying it, I was hooked.

I think I started with the TB ALC in 2018, but like a lot of people, haven't played much in the last 2 years!

I'd like to try Dignics 09C, but at that cost, I doubt I will - Not when I'm already dropping £240 a year on Tenergy!

@Carl..... I just replied to the other thread with the exact same thing - Great minds!

How the hell do you quote different people in the same reply? 😂

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Hey! it's been a while hasn't it 😁

My son is playing more and more, so I've had to read up about the equipment for more entry/intermediate players and thought I'd come back to this wonderful forum!

The Harimoto blade was (is) OK..... I used it for about 5 months or so, but just found it a little bit passive for my tastes.

I'd never used the TB ALC before (it always seemed so "common" and I liked to have blades that not many other people used!), but after buying it, I was hooked.

I think I started with the TB ALC in 2018, but like a lot of people, haven't played much in the last 2 years!

I'd like to try Dignics 09C, but at that cost, I doubt I will - Not when I'm already dropping £240 a year on Tenergy!

@Carl..... I just replied to the other thread with the exact same thing - Great minds!

hahahaha....great minds:

quoting multiple people:

Screen%20Shot%202021%2012%2002%20at%207%2058%2020%20PM%20png.png

In the photo, under the "Like" button, Under "Remove All" I am not sure other people can see "Remove All" on their Like Bar or if that is part of the moderation tools.... :) and to the right of the "Reply to NDH's post" button, there is a quote bubble like the one on the left side, except on the right side there is a "+" sign as well.

If you click on one of those it adds a check mark. You can click on as many as you want. Then when you click on a "Reply to_____'s post" button it will quote all the people whose names you checked and the person whose Reply to button you click on.

There are other ways to do it as well. But, that is one way to quote multiple people.

• Wow
Reactions: PingBirdPong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could just type it out or start it out and copy/pastry the things...

NDH said:

Carl-got-him-a-real-cool-nsa-spyphone said:
Get one of my phones and rent out my stakeout apartment.

• Haha