Everyone has a weakness!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hi Table Tennis Daily members.

As the topic is saying everyone has a weakness. take e.g. Ma Long isn't that strong in his BH, but he is aware of this and therefore he moves around the table so he can play with his strong FH.

When I started playing again my BH was so weak that I only pushed the ball on the opponents side of the table when I didn't had the opportunity to play my FH. I couldn't really break the evil circle with playing bad with my BH. I finally figured out a way for myself to get better with my BH. Instead of thinking "play with my FH" i switched to "play with my BH". Mentally I was afraid that I couldn't make a FH-shot if I prepared myself in my BH. But it showed instinctively that if the FH-shot came normally even with my BH in my mind. Because of I am thinking this way today, my BH is one of my new weapons :) Funny that a so little adjustment can do so much!

Tell about your weakness(es), and what you did to get better.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Nice thread buddy:) I have loads!! Where shall I start? hahaha

My biggest now are my knees...they're literally weak hehehe. As a result, I don't move very well, to the extent that I became somewhat lazy. I'm okay if the balls are coming in fast and within a step of my reach on both wings, but slower balls that makes me squat and going forward to spin, is too much for me.

So, playing against long pips OX who likes to block is a nightmare for me coz I can't attack, just have to push and lift after I spin the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Nice thread buddy:) I have loads!! Where shall I start? hahaha

My biggest now are my knees...they're literally weak hehehe. As a result, I don't move very well, to the extent that I became somewhat lazy. I'm okay if the balls are coming in fast and within a step of my reach on both wings, but slower balls that makes me squat and going forward to spin, is too much for me.

So, playing against long pips OX who likes to block is a nightmare for me coz I can't attack, just have to push and lift after I spin the ball.

Cheers Azlan!
Ohh yeah! The sound of Long Pips OX can kill you ;) Well a tactic for you could be to win the 3rd ball :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Ma Long's backhand is not weak. Compare it to Boll's backhand or to another backhand from the top 10 like Jun Mizutani.
In my opinion Ma Long has the second best shakehand backhand, right after Zhang Jike. Or which shakehand player has a better backhand than Ma Long?
Maybe it looks like his backhand is weak. The real reason for that is his too damn strong forehand.

Reactions: VenusCarboKev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Ma Long has absolutely 0 weaknesses, that is his strength,
but he also does not have any strength, he does not make anything special when he play, as liu gouiliang said: Ma Long is not best at anything, but he is top 3 in the world of everything!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
schoulder --' , i fell on my schoulder yesterday now i'm not able to play the next weeks , i hope its not that bad , will see , in my game my weakness is my footwork , but i'm able to open with a fast or slow BH spin , that's helps me , but i'm training to take more balls with my FH bcause my FH is stronger i think , with my FH i can't open verry well , mostely i open with a spinny BH and than moves around mij BH to play a FH spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
IMO Dimitrij Ovtcharov's backhand may be better than Ma Long's.
Backhand is not only Countertopspin. Dima's backhand over the table, especially the backhand flip is inferior to Ma Long's backhand. Besides Dimas pushes with his backhand on the forehand side of the table are damn weak. Thats why Ma Long won the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Very good topic. Let's see .. Of the lot of weaknesses in my game, here's the ones that affect me right now:
1. Consistency. Totally relate to what Anders123 has said above. I win some really good points and give away an equal number of free points.
2. Losing from a winning position. Day before yesterday I lost 15-13 after I was 9-5 up in the decider with service in hand. :( Today I lost 9-7 up service in hand.. Can put some points down to poor tactics and concentration.
3. Footwork to wide FH. In a BH to BH exchange, if a ball is placed to my wide FH, I am late to react and end up playing a weak shot.
4. Zero hip rotation in my FH loop. I play it almost exclusively with my shoulder. This is ok when the ball is close to me.. but as in #3 above, if the ball is wide to my FH, then I cant get any power and also find it difficult to play FH loop cross-court.

I suppose these are ones bothering me the most right now.. @Giangt, Thanks for starting this thread.