Timing of time outs

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I know the current thinking is to use a time out if you are ahead in an important game and the opponent scores a few points. But does this really work? It may just be the matches I watched at latest WTT tournament, but almost every time someone called a time out, they lost the first point after the time out. Are there any stats on the effectiveness of those time outs, or just more a gut feeling that tis the right thing to do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think people either do positive time out when they are ahead or negative time out when they are down. Personally I almost only do positive time out. From experience I think this work better. I believe coaches and players also take time out from experience and what they think will work the best for them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Often a time out is not to play better but to make the opponent think a little when he has a run. Sometimes a player is just in the zone and everything is automatic and sometimes having some time to think about that success can bring you out of that zone and make you nervous.

Obviously this isn't a guarantee but it is a chance