i need explanation

How hard could it be?

Someone will come here very soon and recommend you to lick the cutting blade. Ignore him.

He’s ripping the rubber of incorrectly You should do across the grain, not with the grain. Otherwise you have a greater chance to get splinters…

Cheers
L-zr

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

So, Carl has already covered most things here.

But to re-iterate, generally speaking, people asking for help with this sort of thing are "lower level" players - Which covers a wide level of abilities.

In the UK (and I'm sure it's similar all over the world), there is a very big difference between a lower level player who plays at home for fun, and a lower level player who is in a league.

There are lots of "hobby" players, who might have a table at home, or play every now and then for fun, and are considering the "King of Table Tennis" amongst their friends - So much so, they actually believe they are pretty good.

The minute this self declared "good" player plays a match against a "lower level" league player, the lower level league players wins by a big margin.

Posting some really short clips on your technique will allow others to offer the best/most accurate advice, and you seem to be someone who is looking for good advice.

You say you are doing the "same stroke", but that stroke might be absolutely awful, and simply changing a few things will improve it dramatically, whilst allowing you to use the equipment you want.

So I'm not saying "post a video", to be difficult, or to laugh at you or anything negative like that.

It's so I, Carl, and many others who have been playing for years and years can offer the best possible advice, without simply "guessing".

For clarity, there are plenty of videos of myself, Carl, and many others online - So you can choose whether to ignore our advice, or go with it.

I'd always be a little cautious about taking too much advice from someone online who has no record of their ability.

I've seen a lot of entry level players give advice about various things (that is wrong), but said in a way that makes it seem like they are a seasoned veteran!

Anyway, good luck!

Really, really….really….all of you should be pounding the like button on this post.

Reactions: NDH
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here: I will try and explain this differently:

I need a pair of TT shoes. The ones I am wearing bother my ankles and knees. What size shoes should I get?

Can you tell me based on the information provided?

For the same reason, we can’t tell which of the hundreds of reasons why your shots are going long are the actual reasons.

But if you don’t want to post footage, it is fine. You just won’t get an answer that is actually accurate.

Also, I understand why someone might not want to post footage. Often lower level players make dumb comments. But the players who are more seasoned and have better technique will usually give you helpful information that is constructive.

So, feel free to send a PM to someone like Der_Echte, Lula, NDH, NextLevel or any other of your choosing to see if one person who knows what he is looking at can help you without needing to have the whole forum see your standard of play.

Reactions: NDH

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
we can’t tell which of the hundreds of reasons why your shots are going long are the actual reasons.
It's not really hundreds of reasons is it? More like one of two possible reasons?

1. if you are trying to loop, there is not enough topspin on the ball to pull it down before it crosses the end of the table. Make more topspin.
2. If you are flat-hitting, you are hitting too hard for the angle the ball is leaving your bat, so it doesn't land on the table. Aim lower and/or hit softer.

Are there any other reasons?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
• Erratic imprecise contact.
• Contact too deep.
• Flat Contact.
• Angle of Racket on contact.
• Trajectory of stroke.
• How he is holding the racket.
• If the grip is not controlled and the blade face is not steady during contact.
• Mechanics of stroke: if his stroke and/or the plane the blade face is in during the stroke is not one plane, then there could be multiple reasons just within that category like: sometimes people with lower level technique will raise the elbow and drop the blade and forearm in the middle of the stroke. Other people start the stroke with the racket too low so they can’t cover the top of the ball. Some people make contact on the back of the ball instead of the top of the ball whether they are spinning or not. Is he contacting the outside of the ball or the inside of the ball (outside creates hook and bigger angle cross court, inside creates inside out [fade] spin and can be good for down the line) but either can cause a lower level player who is not in control of how they contact the ball to hit the ball to unexpected places.

Really, within mechanics of the stroke there could be dozens of reasons.

I tell you what, when I am home and not on a cell phone, I will give some more reasons. But there are a lot and there are also shades and degrees. So, it is not just black and white.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

Poor chap just asked if we thought a carbon blade might be too responsive and if Rakza 7 is known to be a high-throw rubber ...

"Poor chap" asked dozen of related questions on this forum, some of which didn't make any sense.
While we're at it, we should give OP and alikes some benefit of doubt because not everyone is experienced with searching the internet and forming critical opinions from mutiple sources of information. It's easy to forget that most of us were in similiar situation at some point and we were confused and unsecure though probably less eloquent. It really depends on age, (life) experience, (table tennis) education etc. Anyhow OP should realize by now that something is wrong with his/her questions and if he/she doesn't realise that then

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
thank you everyone for your responses. i’m sorry if i’ve caused any bad impression or thoughts on myself. i’m quite new to this sport and i just have a lot of questions that i need to be clarified. luckily, i found this forum with tons of experts. i know i’ve been abusing my rights of posting and posted similar questions, that’s because i feel like i did not phrase myself properly. i hope you guys will continue to help me whenever i make a post and not look past it just because the OP is my name. i promise i’ll try to make better posts and not post multiple similar ones at the same time. Sorry and Thank You!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

... we should give OP and alikes some benefit of doubt
It's easy to forget that most of us were in similiar situation at some point ...

👍!!
Overall I've experienced TTD as a friendly and welcoming community and I hope others do too - especially those with lots of questions!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. I agree. It is fine to ask questions. Nothing wrong with being interested and wanting questions asked, even if you ask them several times in different ways. I have not seen anything Yousuhika did that I would consider inappropriate or problematic. Asking questions is good. Some people will give more direct or simpler answers. Some will give more nuanced answers. That is okay as well.

From a certain perspective Brs has a point. Since I am a movement analyst and work with people on refining the mechanics of movement, I see the difference between a ball contacted with a stable blade face and an unstable blade face as a different issue than a ball struck too hard or too soft or a ball struck with tangential (brush) contact and a ball struck with more direct contact. I see the issue of someone whose wrist is habitually held in a hooked position and a person who holds their wrist in an open position as very different mechanical issues.

But the issue is not as simple as spin more, aim lower, or hit softer. Because, if you take anyone with good, solid technique and give them either racket and within 15 shots they will be able to spin over the top of the ball and land every shot on the table with lots of spin. And if the OP uses the PG5/R7 racket for a few weeks and then tries to switch back to the TSPW/AK47 racket he will feel it is kind of slow for the first few hours or days of play depending on how fast he changes to the changes in the trajectory of the stroke and how you touch the ball that would be needed to switch from one setup to the next, and back. And if he is trying to make the stroke, the force behind the stroke, the trajectory of the stroke, and the touch on contact the same for when he uses either racket, then that is not adjusting to the differences of the two setups. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Another idea for some things that might be going wrong when OP is trying to switch from TSPW/AK47 to PG5/R7 is, if the first few shots go long and then he starts getting more tense and more stressed in response, that could cause a downward spiral of tension and progressively more compromised technique and contact as the pattern continues to cause more stress.

So, state of mind (mental tension or lack thereof) and technical issues (physical tension or lack thereof) can feed into each other and make the issue worse than it should have been.

Ever seen a lower level player, playing you and start getting more and more tense, more and more stressed as they start realizing they are having trouble just getting your shots on the table and then they make bigger and bigger mistakes as they try harder and harder and get more and more stressed as nothing seems to be working? Watching pro matches I've even seen this happen to someone as good as FZD when he was playing ML. I have also been on the receiving end of this kind of thing. So.....it could also be something like that. :)

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
Another idea for some things that might be going wrong when OP is trying to switch from TSPW/AK47 to PG5/R7 is, if the first few shots go long and then he starts getting more tense and more stressed in response, that could cause a downward spiral of tension and progressively more compromised technique and contact as the pattern continues to cause more stress.

So, state of mind (mental tension or lack thereof) and technical issues (physical tension or lack thereof) can feed into each other and make the issue worse than it should have been.

Ever seen a lower level player, playing you and start getting more and more tense, more and more stressed as they start realizing they are having trouble just getting your shots on the table and then they make bigger and bigger mistakes as they try harder and harder and get more and more stressed as nothing seems to be working? Watching pro matches I've even seen this happen to someone as good as FZD when he was playing ML. I have also been on the receiving end of this kind of thing. So.....it could also be something like that. :)

The last part is so true!!
I have noticed it happen in two circumstances:
1. In the pro championships when ML is going against a weaker player, the score of the first round is always more balanced than all the others( first round 11-9, second round 11-4 etc.). And if the player is strong enough, ML might lose the first round. After that, the other player usually messes up lots more and gets wiped.
2. Whenever I play a pro I can catch them off guard a lot more in the first two rounds, and then I just break down both mentally and physically because they start playing like Dima.😀

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl