First blade for begginer

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Hi new guy here I recently bought a table and started playing with family and friends. I'm interested in building or putting together a better racket for myself as I learn my style of play and personality on the table I gues I'm trying to say. I had bought a stiga pro carbon amd now learning carbon isn't the best to learn technique on. I want to kinda of work on a decent defensive game that also has a good offense when needed. I am currently trying looking into the butterfly timo boll control. Thought I would ask yalls opinion before I pull the trigger and get another less than ideal racket. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Hi new guy here I recently bought a table and started playing with family and friends. I'm interested in building or putting together a better racket for myself as I learn my style of play and personality on the table I gues I'm trying to say. I had bought a stiga pro carbon amd now learning carbon isn't the best to learn technique on. I want to kinda of work on a decent defensive game that also has a good offense when needed. I am currently trying looking into the butterfly timo boll control. Thought I would ask yalls opinion before I pull the trigger and get another less than ideal racket. Thanks guys

I played with a friend’s Timo Bill CAF( Control Assist Fiber), it was very… Controlled. What I mean is that you can’t get too much spin or speed, but the shots are very safe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Do you have recommendations for somthing that will have more spin and ND speed and control if that's a thing lol

This user has no status.
Do you have recommendations for somthing that will have more spin and ND speed and control if that's a thing lol

Usually if you are an average player, you will have to sacrifice spin for speed or vice versa. Control sometimes adds spin and a fast blade with mostly be hard to control. Try a wooden blade (like stiga clipper) with ESN tensor rubbers for easy spin and comparatively more speed than tacky rubbers.

This user has no status.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalkproducts
blades that have decent spin, speed, and control:
1. Butterfly Petr Korbel
2. Stiga Clipper
3. Butterfly Timo Boll CAF
These are the ones I know of.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
i would recommend sending a short clip of yourself playing to moderator Carl and let him analyze your level and your strokes and he will give you a list of blades that are suitable for you. This is way more effective and accurate than describing with words and letting the experts here recommend a blade for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
i would recommend sending a short clip of yourself playing to moderator Carl and let him analyze your level and your strokes and he will give you a list of blades that are suitable for you. This is way more effective and accurate than describing with words and letting the experts here recommend a blade for you.

Sending a PM to Carl is the best way, but I think this forum was made so everyone can offer an idea or advice. If Carl was the only one you could ask, then this would be “AskCarlDaily.com”🤣

NDH

says Spin to win!

Hey Ray, welcome to the sport!

For your first “proper” bat, you want to be looking at something that is all wood (not carbon) and is classified as “Allround (or All-)

There are absolutely tons of blades in this category, and the TB Control would fit the ball.

More importantly, you want to make sure you aren’t putting on rubbers that are too fast or spinny.

Spinny rubbers are great when you have the ability to control them, but the spinier the rubber is, the more it’s affected by incoming spin (usually).

To give you an idea, my son started playing a few years ago with a Tibhar all round blade and some cheap friendship 729 rubbers. That set up allowed him to learn the strokes properly, without the ball ballooning off the table.

The advantage of slightly tacky Chinese rubbers like this are.

1. They are very cheap.
2. You can play full strokes (as a beginner), without worrying about the rubbers being too quick.

Do you plan on getting any coaching at all? It’s always my first recommendation for people new to the game.

You’ll find a few months of coaching will improve you MASSIVELY.

Let me know if you have any questions!

This user has no status.

For your first “proper” bat, you want to be looking at something that is all wood (not carbon) and is classified as “Allround (or All-)

There are absolutely tons of blades in this category, and the TB Control would fit the ball.

More importantly, you want to make sure you aren’t putting on rubbers that are too fast or spinny.

Spinny rubbers are great when you have the ability to control them, but the spinier the rubber is, the more it’s affected by incoming spin (usually).

To give you an idea, my son started playing a few years ago with a Tibhar all round blade and some cheap friendship 729 rubbers. That set up allowed him to learn the strokes properly, without the ball ballooning off the table.

1. They are very cheap.
2. You can play full strokes (as a beginner), without worrying about the rubbers being too quick.

Do you plan on getting any coaching at all? It’s always my first recommendation for people new to the game.

The legendary NDH gives another piece of great advice!

This user has no status.

1. They are very cheap.

Excellent advice. All-around all-wood blades make perfect sense. You get better feel with wood, which helps while learning, and the slower speed keeps the ball in play. The Butterfly Primorac is a popular classic, as are various Stiga blades. See pingsunday. com for a list. Fortunately, All-Wood blades are typically cheaper than carbon blades. The Nittaku Acoustic is outstanding, which I've used. It's pricey, so I'd try to buy it used (or table tennis 11 for new purchase). Coaching or classes are indeed the best way to improve. Spend a good portion of your playing time doing drills as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I quite liked Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+ and I put H3 Neo as a FH rubber on it. Because the blade has a good control it enabled me to get a good sense of the proper use of H3 so as to hit the ball flat and brush the ball properly (rather than drive like it's usually with fast tensor rubbers). Doing full stroke looping works well with this blade, most of the time it will land on the table and will not go outside like it tends to happen with faster blades, so imo it's a good blade to learn how to play with H3.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think, so far, the advice given is sound. Nothing more really needs to be added. But I will anyway.

I could be wrong on this because we have not seen you play. But something gives me the sense that you may do very well with a less expensive Chinese blade to go with the inexpensive Chinese rubbers that NDH recommended.

A blade like this:

Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade (approx. $16.00 USD) would be an excellent choice with the Friendship 729 rubbers NDH is recommending. It would be fine if you got a more expensive blade from a blade maker like Tibhar, Donic, Butterfly....etc....but for your purposes, the 896 blade may be just as good for you and you could even get two rackets (for you and whomever you are playing) for about $72.00 USD for both. Than family and friends who play with you can feel they are not at a handicap and complain you have a better racket than they do. :)

And a racket like that would be way better (much much higher quality) than any of the rackets you get prepackaged with a blade and rubbers already on the blade like the "Stiga Pro Carbon".

• Love
Reactions: ShakeHold PenHand
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
For technique development a slow blade and rubber is good because you learn to swing fast and it still lands on the table if you give it some spin.

With a faster racket you need to be very precise which is not bad but usually if a beginner uses a fast bat he will start to push and hit slowly because he is making too many errors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi,

I'd recommend a blade in the ALL range, with rubbers such as MARK V or Sriver on both sides (or Mark V + Sriver, if you wish) ..

Stiga Allround Classic + Mark V/Sriver is a tried-n-tested combo.. It's been around for ages, and had stood the test of time

Another cost-friendly, but superb blade is the Sanwei M8 blade.. Glue the above-mentioned rubbers or Sanwei T88-III rubbers ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Hi,

I'd recommend a blade in the ALL range, with rubbers such as MARK V or Sriver on both sides (or Mark V + Sriver, if you wish) ..

Stiga Allround Classic + Mark V/Sriver is a tried-n-tested combo.. It's been around for ages, and had stood the test of time

Another cost-friendly, but superb blade is the Sanwei M8 blade.. Glue the above-mentioned rubbers or Sanwei T88-III rubbers ..
I ended up with the korbel with sriver on forehand and sriver El on backhand