Is Mark V bouncy?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Well, in my teens I played Mark V in (iirc) 2.5mm and many considered that an uncontrollable, overly bouncy and ultrafast rubber back then.

When I restarted I cautiously considered Mark V 2.0 or even less, but now the general consensus had turned to it being a very tame allround control rubber.

Maybe Mark V has changed. I certainly loved it back then, and it didn’t feel like the same rubber to me. Even when goofing around with 38mm celluloid balls it just didn’t square.

As for bouncy - well, that it is to some extent. Much less so than most “modern” EU/japanese rubbers, but much more so than most classic Chinese ones.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Well, in my teens I played Mark V in (iirc) 2.5mm and many considered that an uncontrollable, overly bouncy and ultrafast rubber back then.

When I restarted I cautiously considered Mark V 2.0 or even less, but now the general consensus had turned to it being a very tame allround control rubber.

Maybe Mark V has changed. I certainly loved it back then, and it didn’t feel like the same rubber to me. Even when goofing around with 38mm celluloid balls it just didn’t square.

As for bouncy - well, that it is to some extent. Much less so than most “modern” EU/japanese rubbers, but much more so than most classic Chinese ones.
These “back in the old days” rubbers and blades are very interesting indeed. Do you know what rubbers were like before Mark V and Sriver?

says Rozena! You complete me.

2.5mm? Wow!

Mine is 2.3mm and it was listed by my vendor as max.

It is still too bouncy for my liking but certainly less than modern ESN tensor. However, do note that I am playing mostly with hard tacky chinese rubber these days and perhaps that is why I may have formed a personal biased opinion that it is too bouncy for my liking.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Well, I may be old, but not THAT old. There’s been no “before Mark V” for me.

Same here. I guess there was Butterfly SOFT D-13 before SRIVER, and I hear about Stiga (Yasaka?) Cobra rubbers fixed to those old and legendary STIGA blades. But other than that ...

I guess that is something people often forget when talking about the "classic" rubbers (also Coppa, Speedy Spin, etc.) - Sriver is from 1969 and Mark V was the World Champion rubber of 1971 (and again 1993, at that time certainly speed-glued to the max).
By all accounts, no player that ever speed-glued a "classic" should have returned, but moved on to Tensor and tenergy after the speed glue ban.
So classic rubbers should only have survived among those who never speed-glued them. But then, should they have survived the changes to ball size and material?
And yet, some are still around.

And no, I wouldn´t call any classic rubber bouncy, as long as you don´t compare it to a plate of glass or classic Chinese rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I still have an old Butterfly Cypress-X blade with soft D13 on it. The soft D13 is now hard a brittle like frictionless anti. I eventually got a sheet of BLUE Sriver for another paddle. I never heard of Mark V until MUCH later. The mark V that I have played with is not bouncy/springy relative to newer rubbers. I played with Mark V max thickness on my FH for a while. It was OK. I prefer Rakza 7 now.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
These “back in the old days” rubbers and blades are very interesting indeed. Do you know what rubbers were like before Mark V and Sriver?

I Started playing back in 1974. One of my first blades was a Stiga with yasaka cobra rubbers in the color green .

P.s.Sorry its not before Mark V and Sriver era.

Last edited:

I Started playing back in 1974. One of my first blades was a Stiga with yasaka cobra rubbers in the color green .

P.s.Sorry its not before Mark V and Sriver era.

Your my age... I started in 1969. By '74 I used to play "super sriver" on a BTY Kenny style blade.
In between I did use Stiga (Kjell Johansson, Hasse Alser, and Stellan Bengtsson) with Mark V...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Your my age... I started in 1969. By '74 I used to play "super sriver" on a BTY Kenny style blade.
In between I did use Stiga (Kjell Johansson, Hasse Alser, and Stellan Bengtsson) with Mark V...

Cheers
L-zr

Super sriver, yeah. It had very small pips underneath if I remember correctly. And I also played all those Stiga blades you mentioned, and many more. The
Kenny style blade was the one with the black handle right ?
(B.t.w I'm from 1960)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T510 met Tapatalk