Moaning

This user has no status.
If you have ever watched Dan or Ovtcharov play, you know you have to turn off the sound. But why do they “moan and groan”? I’ve tried it( and been stared at), but I didn’t feel it make a difference. In Ovtcharov’s case I feel like it’s intentional, is it a distraction tactic?
Anyone is welcome to pitch in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
I tend to make some subtle groans too when using a lot of power to hit a shot. i’m not doing it intentionally and i guess it’s just natural and almost like giving urself an extra umph of power.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
I tend to make some subtle groans too when using a lot of power to hit a shot. i’m not doing it intentionally and i guess it’s just natural and almost like giving urself an extra umph of power.

Yeah that is a thing, but I was thinking of the massive and loud moans that sound like a certain activity… Just, why?

says Rozena! You complete me.
If you have ever watched Dan or Ovtcharov play, you know you have to turn off the sound. But why do they “moan and groan”? I’ve tried it( and been stared at), but I didn’t feel it make a difference. In Ovtcharov’s case I feel like it’s intentional, is it a distraction tactic?
Anyone is welcome to pitch in.

Mr Miyagi says, " Daniel-san, breathe in! breathe out! "

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A forceful exhale causes muscles to contract more fully. If it is well timed to the contact of the ball it will add more force to the contact. If you phonate (make sound) like in a "karate chop" that will make the exhale more forceful. I doubt it is conscious. But it will add power to the stroke on contact.

Here is an actual video on the subject with tennis.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Grunting, groaning is a means / way of activating your 'core' muscles. that's why Tennis players started doing it years ago.
We do it naturally sometimes, without thinking about it or actually meaning to, when you are pushed, using more power for movement and playing a harder stroke, it just happens.
I think research identified that an 'involuntary' grunt has a couple of attributes (maybe not limited to those below)
1) tensing the core helps protect the body or possibly your back.
2) helps transfer energy/power through your body.
Timo boll gave his 3 top tips in one of his blogs, one of those top tips was to activate your core at impact, which he said helps to produce some extra power and possibly stability.
My Pilates instructor said that tensing of the core helps to protect your back during the exercises. you basically have to try and tense your stomach muscles so that it feels like they are trying to touch your back for the whole of the session, you are not meant to relax them AT ALL for 45 - 60 mins!!! easier said than done!!! then the breathing comes into play, if you hold these muscles tense they naturally tense slightly more (or feel like they tense up more) as you breathe in and want to relax as you breathe out, so you have to remember to keep them tense as you breathe out.

You can tense your core muscles by THINKING about it without a load grunt or groan, but you don't necessarily want to be THINKING about it during a match or rally !! For some its easier to grunt for almost every stroke that requires power.

Carl has way more knowledge on movement mechanics, if I'm wrong about the above he'll pull things back into line.

Is the grunting a tactic?? a distraction?? depends on why the player is grunting or groaning!!!! some opponents may let it get into their head, others just ignore it.
With Tennis it seams to be the norm these days, to the extent of some players are SCREAMING!! excessive?? perhaps!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
you have to remember every time you see ovtcharov, dan, etc.... it's in a video.
it's not real life.
it's a "professional" video made for entertainment.
they exaggerate everything to make it more entertaining and to engage the audience more.
it's not something you are supposed to do in real life lol.
imagine in a club of 20 people if everybody was grunting like ovtcharov

Last edited:
  • Haha