Why Lin Yun Ju Losing Lately?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
I am a big fan of LYJ but recently he isnt winning against these top players which he was easily doing and named the silent assassin. why is that? i’m not a pro, just a beginner so i was hoping i can get some pretty detailed explanation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think he's just been struggling a bit since his olympics heroics, And I think anytime from now he'll get into his groove once again.
But we also can't discount the efforts of his opponents, Most of them have played really well.
Maybe it's a bit more difficult for him to play against Left handed players too with recent losses to lev katsman, lim jonghoon and wang Chuqin.

Reactions: NextLevel

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Maybe the opponents are better prepared against him, the same happened to Harimoto. He was very successfully very early on in his career and now all of his oppnents are well prepared. They are aware of his weaknesses and strengths. Probably not the only reason but partially could be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Lin Yun Ju is a great young player that pulled a few upsets against stronger and more experienced players like Fan Zhendong and Ma Long, etc. but it doesn’t mean he’s on the same level as them or higher. I didn’t watch the match vs Lev Katsman but LYJ lost to LJH and WCQ is no shocker. LJH was in superb form and probably played above his level. And in my book, WCQ is a little better than LYJ, he’s more powerful and consistent. LYJ didn’t seem to have the best form after the Olympics, maybe he already reached his peak (for this year) at the Olympics and now it’s normal to have a down period.

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021

Maybe he was nervous and that why he lost. Because when you nervous you bad get out of control and not many people can handle it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think it is a mix. When you are successful people start to study your game very well and find your weaknesses while an average player will not be studied as much. Thus it is harder to stay at the top than getting there, you always have to reinvent yourself and react to the opponent strategies.

Also it is not uncommon that a young player is burned out a bit after a long season.

He might be mentally and physically drained a bit and need a little break.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Several reasons as others have said. If you followed every player close enough you'd notice every single one has at least some patches of downswings, it's pretty normal. Harimoto has been going through it, FZD has been through it, ML went through it, Pitchford, Falck.. so many players that I can easily think of where it's been pretty clear. Though the top players are at such a high level that they have fewer downswings than the others around them which makes them the top of the top.

The players they happen to lose to are also not at some static point of improvement, they get better as well and it's a constant fight to be at the top. It often feels like people don't give enough credit to the players they lose to.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Most of Lin Yun Ju's highest level expertise is in the serve and return game and most of his patterns are 1) now better known and 2) not as effective against lefties. I don't rate the losses in regular tournament/practice matches and to a lesser degree league matches as I do the loss at the WTTC.

In that specific case, he played an opponent (LJH) for whom things as big as LYJ was predicted but who mostly had underachieved previously but put it together at this WTTC. That game went to deuce in the 7th with LYJ bringing out every kind of serve and return pattern he could use to extend the match and rallying from crazy deficits in some of the last 2/3 games. LJH could easily have been a semi-finalist as he had the potential (speed/power) to beat the same opponents that Truls beat.

Many good answers on this thread. LYJ is going to be a good player for a long time and will get stronger as he gets older even if his results may not be better (everyone is improving).

Everyone's game goes through cycles as they try to improve. Last year, Kanak Jha was struggling in the German League to the point that one troll at MyTT was advocating at the start of this season that it was pure favoritism to play Kanak ahead of Kulczyski of Poland and that Kanak had a lower talent level than the ball boys. Now Kanak has one of the best singles records in the German league and followed this up with a quarter final showing at the WTTC. Before this, there was universal skepticism about Kanak being a top 20 player now no one pushes this narrative as aggressively any more.

So LYJ is not losing for any special reason - his return patterns are easier to follow, his serve patterns are still excellent but better known, and his opponents now take him seriously and prepare harder for him. I believe he is also playing in Russia sometimes and that may help him in the long term if he continues to do so. That said, such changes do affect you at a young age.

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
BTW I think it is not just getting figured out but also that he must be tired or in bad shape because he was not just losing against top15 players but also against some lower ranked players.

He for example lost against sgoroupolous and Katsman in the champions league, I Don't think you go from almost beating FZD and Dima at the Olympics to getting figured out by everyone in the top50 in the world within two months.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
BTW I think it is not just getting figured out but also that he must be tired or in bad shape because he was not just losing against top15 players but also against some lower ranked players.

He for example lost against sgoroupolous and Katsman in the champions league, I Don't think you go from almost beating FZD and Dima at the Olympics to getting figured out by everyone in the top50 in the world within two months.
Those were league matches and in a format where the matches didn't mean much (his team was going to win regardless because of how overpowered it was). You never know what specifically informs the goals or practice in such matches.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Don't these peeps also train to peak for the big competitions? Everyone has to go through recovery phases. LYJ, and everybody else at his level wanted to peak at the olympics. Sgoropolous and Katsman perhaps not so much. They weren't going to medal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I am a big fan of LYJ but recently he isnt winning against these top players which he was easily doing and named the silent assassin. why is that? i’m not a pro, just a beginner so i was hoping i can get some pretty detailed explanation.

Just like LGY, TH and WCQ, (3 of these 4 are lefties) he tries to dominate with his BH, covering nearly the whole table on BH receive. Thus his FH is inferior. LGY and WCQ are now improving their speed and athleticism on the FH side, so as to have two big weapons. I don't see this happening with LYJ, whose FH seems quite lightweight by comparison. These 3 lefties also create some chaos as doubles partners, in the receive position: there they are all ready (in theory) to stand wide and unleash big FHs, leaving maximum space for the right hander to hit his FH, and what do they do? They shuffle across into the forbidden territory to use their BHs, because they are so obsessed with BH receive.