How to learn backhand long pips chopping

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hi,

I'm an offensive player but recently already assembled a racket with long pips in my backhand. I'm actually giving people a lot of trouble and beating good players (I'm playing tier II in national tournaments).

The style of play I'm looking is to slow the game down with my backhand, chopping far from the table (of course attacking high short balls and sometimes chop blocking closer to table), and attack with my forehand given the opportunity (that's my forte).
I'm really enjoying so far, but I feel my chops could be with far more backspin. One thing my coach suggested is to try contacting the ball closer to the edge of the blade, but I find it very hard to change the contact point as this is something very automatic at this point.
Second thing I considered is using the wrist more, but from videos I don't see the wrist used heavily and it really hurts the consistency for me.

I couldn't find any good videos/guides/tips for this style of play (role model is someone like Chen Weixing I guess)

My blade is kong linghui euro, FH: tenergy 05 BH: tibhar grass d.tecs

Would appreciate any tips!
Thanks

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

I'm an offensive player but recently already assembled a racket with long pips in my backhand. I'm actually giving people a lot of trouble and beating good players (I'm playing tier II in national tournaments).

The style of play I'm looking is to slow the game down with my backhand, chopping far from the table (of course attacking high short balls and sometimes chop blocking closer to table), and attack with my forehand given the opportunity (that's my forte).
I'm really enjoying so far, but I feel my chops could be with far more backspin. One thing my coach suggested is to try contacting the ball closer to the edge of the blade, but I find it very hard to change the contact point as this is something very automatic at this point.
Second thing I considered is using the wrist more, but from videos I don't see the wrist used heavily and it really hurts the consistency for me.

I couldn't find any good videos/guides/tips for this style of play (role model is someone like Chen Weixing I guess)

My blade is kong linghui euro, FH: tenergy 05 BH: tibhar grass d.tecs

Would appreciate any tips!
Thanks
Not being a long pips player, I’m no expert on them, but as they are usually pretty frictionless, I would think that the amount of spin imparted by LP’s is usually more dependent on the incoming spin already on the ball?? If you are chopping a no spin ball, then your spin is likely to be light as well.
But as I said, definitely not an expert on LP.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
With a pip like d.tecs, ib66 is going to be right! You can't alter the spin a whole lot. You can do flatter chops that remove some spin, and then also more of a thin brushing contact. The amount of variance between those 2 will depend heavily on how much spin the incoming ball has.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Yes so I feel like the dead (no spin) are hard to deal with, and it's hard to make people make an error on the spin as it doesn't have enough backspin.
What type of play is suitable for such rubber?

What rubbers would you recommend for what I'm looking to get? (Chopping backhand far from table [of course sometimes blocks as well] and attacking with FH given opportunity)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
A lot of the backspin with long pips comes from the Opponents topspin. Thus sometimes at lower levels the classic chop doesn't work as well because at that level opponents will often attack with flat drives or Smashes with only a mild amount of topspin.

I think there are some more grippy pips which work against that type of hitter to actively generate backspin while the pips that guys like filius use basically let the ball slip through so that the opponents heavy topspin is maintained and arrives there as backspin

Reactions: jammmail