Joola Rhyzen ZGR vs Bluegrip c2 etc. for Hurricane 3 replacement

This user has no status.
Hey guys, I was wondering for those who have tried these rubbers how they fare for replacing my current forehand rubber. I currently use a Hurricane 3 prov bluesponge 39 deg boosted with 1-2 layers of seamoon(on a viscaria composition blade) and I love it(best ever), however, I'm not getting much table tennis play anymore sadly(at most 1-2 times a month and not at a high level sadly), and since for me I have to boost every 2 weeks to have optimal play it's just not practical anymore to be boosting every time I play(and hurricane sponge probably lasts 3 times boosting before becoming mush).

Am mainly listing some of the softer sponged alternatives just because my skill levels would definitely go down to where I probably need some help(although would accept suggestions too regarding harder rubbers such as c1/dynaryz). I am familiar and can play strokes fairly well with tensors, but my favorite aspect that brings me back to h3 is the serve, which is my best strength in the game, and this I cannot seem to dial in with other rubbers I've tried(fastarc g1, xiom vega x, mxs).

Am looking forward to hear yall's experience and recommendations for these rubbers and more in regards of how they perform to the hurricane, and their durability of sponge(most important) and topsheet since I don't play much and can't justify spending too much to experiment as I did back when I played every day.

This user has no status.
Blue grip C2 has the hardest sponge in the world…
60 degree sponge is harder than the hardest of H3s.
Joola is fine, but maybe try Xiom for soft, other ESNs for easy speed, and cheaper Chinese tacky rubbers for closeness to the H3.
Maybe you can also use an unboosted H3. Most of the junior pros I know don’t boost or use neo versions, just a regular provincial BS( get a softer one). If you want booster effect, try the H3 neo series.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Xiom Tau 2 maybe an option, it's a little quicker than Un-boosted H3/H3neo and I found that as it gets older it plays quicker as some of the tackiness wears off. durability seems good as well. downside is its limited availability - available from China / Far East sellers mainly.
I haven't tried the C2 version of Bluegrip, but have used the C1 version which is a good rubber, plays more toward the springy sponge grippy top sheet ESN type rubbers, tackiness is there but less when compared to H3. Tau 2 plays more towards the H3 characteristics as far as short game / serving etc looping is still good, not go as much 'kick' as H3 though.
H8-80 is also now available, this is again a little quicker than H3 and retains the DHS characteristics in general.

Both Tau 2 and H8-80 cost around £25 - £30 from a seller on AliExpress, which is reasonable value.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Blue grip C2 has the hardest sponge in the world…
60 degree sponge is harder than the hardest of H3s.
Joola is fine, but maybe try Xiom for soft, other ESNs for easy speed, and cheaper Chinese tacky rubbers for closeness to the H3.
Maybe you can also use an unboosted H3. Most of the junior pros I know don’t boost or use neo versions, just a regular provincial BS( get a softer one). If you want booster effect, try the H3 neo series.

This is insane! 60 degrees, like what? 45 degree hardness under the DHS scale? Who in the world plays with that hardness? If C2 is 60 degree, I shudder to think what C1 hardness will be like. 😲 Is Donic now expecting players to add booster / tuning agent? 🙄

This is onesupmanship gone terribly wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

This is insane! 60 degrees, like what? 45 degree hardness under the DHS scale? Who in the world plays with that hardness? If C2 is 60 degree, I shudder to think what C1 hardness will be like. 😲 Is Donic now expecting players to add booster / tuning agent? 🙄

This is onesupmanship gone terribly wrong!

C2 is 55 degrees and C1 is 60 degrees. So its not as bad.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
C2 is 55 degrees and C1 is 60 degrees. So its not as bad.

Yes, quite hard, gives a kind of metallic sound. The problem is the durability, it quickly became "mate". If you are into those, Rakza Z (cca 50 deg.), and Rakza Z EH (cca 54 or 55? deg.) is more durable. For H3 H39, RZ could be good replacement. I mean, nothing can be, but in the style your search for...

Last edited: