Ranking format for local clubs

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hi to everyone

My name is Eric Cabrera, I play for a club in a province in Panama (central america)

My question is what system do you use to update your local rankings?

We usually do a lot of events including a monthly ranked tournament.

If you don't have a ratings system already then I would use ratings central.
https://www.ratingscentral.com/
https://www.ratingscentral.com/HowItWorks.php

Just make sure you implement it right. When Greg Lets had a forum on about.com I had a conversation about how to implement a ratings system. I had an engineering way and David Marcus had a probability and statistical way that was pretty complex but accurate. The software for the system removes the complex math.

BTW, years ago David Marcus took so much shit on the mytt forum that I haven't seen him on a forum since.
It was a case of
".Condemnant quo non intellegunt"
There is a lot of that on TT forums.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi to everyone

My name is Eric Cabrera, I play for a club in a province in Panama (central america)

My question is what system do you use to update your local rankings?

We usually do a lot of events including a monthly ranked tournament.

6 points if winning 3-0
5 points if winning 3-1
4 points if winning 3-2
2 points if losing 2-3
1 point if losing 1-3
0 point if losing 0-3

We play 3 singles and 2 doubles each evening.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Thank you both for the answers, one player from our club designed a ranking system using microsoft excels and a complex formula but he doesnt have time to do it anymore, so thats why we are looking for ideas to make our local rankings work
The simplest system is the pyramid system.
There is one person at the top, two people at the next level down. 3 people at the level below that etc. A low player can challenge anyone one level above or at the same level to the left. There is no reason to challenge people below you. There is no math involved.
If the lower player wins there there 3 ways to handle this.
1 . Simply exchange places.
2. The weak player takes the higher players place and the higher player and others below him shift down.
3. The stronger player takes the weaker player's place and everyone shifts up.
Option 1 is the easiest.
Option 2 is good because if people don't play then they may find they are gradually shifted down.
A person at the top shouldn't be able to stay at the top by not being there to accept challenges.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
Read 1 reviews
The simplest system is the pyramid system.
There is one person at the top, two people at the next level down. 3 people at the level below that etc. A low player can challenge anyone one level above or at the same level to the left. There is no reason to challenge people below you. There is no math involved.
If the lower player wins there there 3 ways to handle this.
1 . Simply exchange places.
2. The weak player takes the higher players place and the higher player and others below him shift down.
3. The stronger player takes the weaker player's place and everyone shifts up.
Option 1 is the easiest.
Option 2 is good because if people don't play then they may find they are gradually shifted down.
A person at the top shouldn't be able to stay at the top by not being there to accept challenges.

Thank you for answering my post, I suppose you are talking about free matches, I am talking about tournaments (group phase and then elimination rounds through the finals) and then elaborating a local ranking system based on tournament results.

For example what kind of method do you use in your local table tennis club to rank players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Thank you for answering my post, I suppose you are talking about free matches, I am talking about tournaments (group phase and then elimination rounds through the finals) and then elaborating a local ranking system based on tournament results.

For example what kind of method do you use in your local table tennis club to rank players?

I posted above. We use Rating Central locally for league nights. Many countries use Rating Central as their ratings system. Did you even bother to check the links? Ratings Central use statistics and probabilities. It is accurate. It doesn't have any fudge factors like the USATT system has.