Wang Liqin might leave the National Team :(

This user has no status.
The Chinese veteran Wang Liqin seemed to have lost his magic inside the arena after he surprisingly lost against the Iranian Noshad Alamiyan of the 2012 Asian Table Tennis Cup. Because of this, together with his absence in the Dortmund championships, many thought Wang Liqin will be considering his retirement. However, the veteran confirmed that he will still adhere until 2013 while Liu Guoliang assured that Wang Liqin will not be completely disregarded in the team.

After losing his chance to be in London Olympics at the start of this year, Wang Liqin then took the back seat in the Chinese Team. So, when Wang Liqin was reported to play in the Asian Table Tennis Cup in Guangzhou, everyone was excited to see the veteran to be in action in the arena once again. However, the excitement turned into a shocking upset after Wang Liqin was blocked by a young Iranian player Noshad Alamiyan in the quarterfinals.

As soon as the game started, everyone though that it would be a thriller match. However, due to absence in the arena for quite some time, Wang Liqin was controlled by Noshad Alamiyan and lost in five sets.

With regards to the loss of the veteran, Chinese Men Team's coach Qin Zhijian said in an interview that the main focus of Wang Liqin recently was in social duties. He didn't have a systematic training as he was one of the sparring partners for the main players. Coupled with some unfamiliarity towards Alamiyan, Wang Liqin was indecisive in the match, and eventually lost.

Despite criticisms from the outside world, aside from Qin Zhijian, Men Team head coach Liu Guoliang also defended the veteran. "Wang Liqin has accomplished great results including Zhang Jike, Ma Long, and other top young athletes who are somehow difficult to deal with." Liu Guoliang believes that Wang Liqin has certainly paid a huge effort for the team. "In the Dortmund World Championships, Wang Liqin, together with Chen Qi and Qiu Yike has served as a sparring partner of the team players." Liu Guoliang said with full of respect towards Wang Liqin.

After losing in the Asian Cup, people thought that the era of Wang Liqin and Ma Lin as well is gradually becoming a thing in the past. With this, Wang Liqin also acknowledged that in the near future, opportunities will be much lesser.

"After the Olympics, all the players will have a new orientation. I might leave the National Team and wearing the jersey of the Chinese Team in the arena will be much lesser. However, I should be able to adhere for the next National Championships in 2013." Wang Liqin confirmed.

In the upcoming events, Wang Liqin's main task will still be as a sparring partner and Liu Guoliang still considers the veteran a leader in his own right. "Younger players are able to get Wang Liqin's words clearly. He is involved in every angle where a lot of us coaches weren't able to go into that certain depth." Liu Guoliang reassured the fans that Wang Liqin will still be highly regarded within the Chinese Men Team. Keep it up Wang Liqin!

xin_4807053115568751073532.365x265.jpg

resource: http://tabletennista.com

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
It might not be for Wang Liqin to decide whether he plays or not. Also it can be difficult for him to keep a good form if he is a practise partner instead of one of the players that get focused practise suited for them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
His training regimen is significantly decreased. He used to practice 5-6 hours a day on personal training plus some non TT exercises. Even within the last year he was till doing 3 hours per day and an additional 2 in the gym, but now to be training this year as a practice partner only at competitions and possibly the couple weeks before he has less tournament preparation.

Add that to the fact that he's always had trouble with strong backhanded lefty players (Chen Qi, his personal practice partner) and you can tell he just wasn't prepared for this tournament. His shots were off and his timing was down, he's just losing his competitive edge.

Also because Wang Liqin has poor tactical areas and mental fitness he is a very poor candidate for coaching. So in this case, his best position in China is served as a practice partner and semi competitor, while outside of China he may have much more opportunity the Government wouldn't approve of letting a world class player just leave like that. It would take a lot of political negotiation for him to leave the country on good grounds to pursue a career say in the Bundesliga.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
His training regimen is significantly decreased. He used to practice 5-6 hours a day on personal training plus some non TT exercises. Even within the last year he was till doing 3 hours per day and an additional 2 in the gym, but now to be training this year as a practice partner only at competitions and possibly the couple weeks before he has less tournament preparation.

Add that to the fact that he's always had trouble with strong backhanded lefty players (Chen Qi, his personal practice partner) and you can tell he just wasn't prepared for this tournament. His shots were off and his timing was down, he's just losing his competitive edge.

Also because Wang Liqin has poor tactical areas and mental fitness he is a very poor candidate for coaching. So in this case, his best position in China is served as a practice partner and semi competitor, while outside of China he may have much more opportunity the Government wouldn't approve of letting a world class player just leave like that. It would take a lot of political negotiation for him to leave the country on good grounds to pursue a career say in the Bundesliga.

I don't think he needs to, either. I bet he has earned enough to live from for the rest of his life. You are right that as a practise partner you just lose the competitive side of table tennis, but as LGL said he is a very valuable practise partner to have in the CNT and the other players can still learn alot from him.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
It's a shame to see my hero of all time being reduced to this. He served his country well. Obviously, TT still flows in his veins. I would just let him go. If he decided to play abroad, I say why not. People still flock to see him play and he still sell the tickets. He is experienced enough to set his own goals and training regimes that will suit him at his age now.

And if he's good enough, fit enough (I'm referring if he is able to play abroad), China can always call on him to put on the national jersey. I think he paid his due for China. Also, it will be good for TT world. If he plays in the Bundesliga, he may pass down his experience and expertise.

This is like a football player who still has 3 year contract, but is reduced to the bench just because the coach and the team says so. He's been overlooked all the time by his much younger, faster team mates. While he still wants to play, even if it means playing in a lower division teams.

As Richard said that he's not good against lefties, I sternly disagree. He was the no1, and that speaks by itself. He may be slower now, but with training, he would still give the top 5 a run for their money and win a few odd matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Hey azlan,

WLQ is an all time favorite of my own, but I'm more referring to now than earlier in his career. Although before he still had a lot of trouble with the lefty players even though he'd win the match. His practice partner from the beginning of his career can almost beat him every time in a match because he knows all of WLQ weaknesses. When asked about who has some strong shots in the interview of CNT he even mentioned Chen Qi as a tough opponent in his eyes.

Because he is slow on his step around to cross step, lefties that are younger and faster have an advantage over him. As long as they have a solid BH block they can very often catch him off guard. Again he was out of training, but even out of training against a righty WLQ should win almost every time. Lefties are a different story for him. He needs his training to play them because the tactics are primarily reversed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It's a shame to see my hero of all time being reduced to this. He served his country well. Obviously, TT still flows in his veins. I would just let him go. If he decided to play abroad, I say why not. People still flock to see him play and he still sell the tickets. He is experienced enough to set his own goals and training regimes that will suit him at his age now.

And if he's good enough, fit enough (I'm referring if he is able to play abroad), China can always call on him to put on the national jersey. I think he paid his due for China. Also, it will be good for TT world. If he plays in the Bundesliga, he may pass down his experience and expertise.

This is like a football player who still has 3 year contract, but is reduced to the bench just because the coach and the team says so. He's been overlooked all the time by his much younger, faster team mates. While he still wants to play, even if it means playing in a lower division teams.

As Richard said that he's not good against lefties, I sternly disagree. He was the no1, and that speaks by itself. He may be slower now, but with training, he would still give the top 5 a run for their money and win a few odd matches.

Also if he goes abroad he has new goals like Champions League or maybe German League victories. These are title he hasn't won yet (yes, they exist) and it will give him a good motivation to practise, something he doesn't really have at the moment. But I don't see it happening.

Mar 2011
Also if he goes abroad he has new goals like Champions League or maybe German League victories. These are title he hasn't won yet (yes, they exist) and it will give him a good motivation to practise, something he doesn't really have at the moment. But I don't see it happening.

Yeah, me too, wishful thinking buddy...though highly unlikely that he would do abroad:) But it would be wicked if he can!!!!!!!!