advice on rubber glue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Hi everyone,

Just replacing my rubbers using the Nitakku Finezip 50, and I found that it made these really small grainy textures on the rubber when I was applying it. The glue surface on the rubber isn't like what I've seen in videos and otherwise, and it looks more like a bunch of bumps and grains on the rubber's sponge. I can't tell if it's either expired/bad batch, or the sponge I was using to apply the glue actually stuck onto the rubber. Either way, I got rid of the glue from the rubber, and I wanted your advice.

Am I applying too little of the glue onto the rubber, and that's what's causing the glue to not be slick and smooth, or should I get some new glue?

I'm going by an arts and crafts store tomorrow and might pick up some water-based glue there. Is any type of water-based glue fine or should I really be using 'table tennis glue' specifically? Is there a difference? What are your recommendations?

Thanks guys!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hi everyone,

Just replacing my rubbers using the Nitakku Finezip 50, and I found that it made these really small grainy textures on the rubber when I was applying it. The glue surface on the rubber isn't like what I've seen in videos and otherwise, and it looks more like a bunch of bumps and grains on the rubber's sponge. I can't tell if it's either expired/bad batch, or the sponge I was using to apply the glue actually stuck onto the rubber. Either way, I got rid of the glue from the rubber, and I wanted your advice.

Am I applying too little of the glue onto the rubber, and that's what's causing the glue to not be slick and smooth, or should I get some new glue?

I'm going by an arts and crafts store tomorrow and might pick up some water-based glue there. Is any type of water-based glue fine or should I really be using 'table tennis glue' specifically? Is there a difference? What are your recommendations?

Thanks guys!d found 2 typs

i tried a few water based glues and found 2 types
Type 1 does not stick properly
Type 2 sticks too good and can damage rubber and wood when removing .

So I recommend patience and a proper TT-glue.
I do not recommend a specific glue but suggest you watch the videos on the Revolution no3 website

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Stick with regular table tennis glue. Or if you can find it, copydex/tearmender are basically regular table tennis glue. Tearmender is a bit thicker though so spreading it takes a bit more skill. Another option would be to use rubber cement as you can find it basically anywhere (do not use regular contact cement! It will not come off without a fight).

As for the rubber, chances are that the porousness of the sponge is absorbing a bit of the glue causing the effect. If you apply 2-3 very fine layers of glue it should come out as a clean surface but I have glued rubbers before that have done this and I found it really made no difference.

i tried a few water based glues and found 2 types
Type 1 does not stick properly
Type 2 sticks too good and can damage rubber and wood when removing .

So I recommend patience and a proper TT-glue.
I do not recommend a specific glue but suggest you watch the videos on the Revolution no3 website

I found a 3:rd type, One that works perfectly Stiga Attack Power. One thing though I don't wait for it to dry...

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hi everyone,

Thanks guys!
Sounds more like over apply glue.

As for recommendation, there is one and only: Butterfly Free Chack 2.

To be serious in TT you must purchase a BTY blade with Butterfly rubber, preferably Rozena, Tenergy or Dignics in order of priority.

This user has no status.

To be serious in TT you must purchase a BTY blade with Butterfly rubber, preferably Rozena, Tenergy or Dignics in order of priority.

Don’t forget the ZJK SuperZLC 70th anniversary edition!

says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019

Compare to dhs no.15, which one do you prefer more?
free chack pro 2 or dhs

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
In my experience Copydex is better than Tearmender. I've had bad batches of Tearmender and have had only success with Copydex. You don't need table tennis specific water based latex glues. That's just marketing and you can actually get worst quality depending on who/where those TT companies source their latex glue from. Copydex is owned by Henkel, a large, well known West German company that is the leader in adhesives.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I use Elmer's rubber cement. I have tried water based glues. They come in containers that are too big so they go bad before I use them up. The Elmer's jars are getting smaller, shrinkflation, for the same price but it doesn't make much difference because the rubber cement would get too thick and unusable before it was 3/4 used.

It is best if the rubber cement is thin enough so it can be applied evenly.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Compare to dhs no.15, which one do you prefer more?
free chack pro 2 or dhs

Free Chack 2 Forever!

p/s never tried DHS before, but I have used Lidu & Donic Blue Vario and both of them are too sticky and leave a bad residue when changing rubber. For an professional EJ like me, this attribute is a big no-no.

I look for a glue that sticks the rubber well and allows the rubber to come off easily without tearing it while leaving little residue so that I don't have to waste time to clean up when I want to re-glue another rubber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colin Ksh
Sep 2019

Free Chack 2 Forever!

p/s never tried DHS before, but I have used Lidu & Donic Blue Vario and both of them are too sticky and leave a bad residue when changing rubber. For an professional EJ like me, this attribute is a big no-no.

I look for a glue that sticks the rubber well and allows the rubber to come off easily without tearing it while leaving little residue so that I don't have to waste time to clean up when I want to re-glue another rubber.

Do you mean the free chack 2 or Pro 2?
And I’m still deciding which one to get either the free chack or dhs no.15 glue.
I’m using a butterfly blade at the moment, BH - Rozena and FH - planning to use the dhs hurricane bs rubber and unsure which glue to get. The reason why I’m hesitating is because some have said using other glues rather than free chack can cause damage to the butterfly blades and I’m quite anxious of course. Any suggestion on my case.
should I get the free chack or dhs no.15 glue?
Also this might sound silly but does dhs rubbers have best performance only when you use no.15 glue? Lol
Lastly, will using dhs glue damage your butterfly blade?
Sry if my questions are being too long. My apology, since I just wanted to make things clear.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Do you mean the free chack 2 or Pro 2?
And I’m still deciding which one to get either the free chack or dhs no.15 glue.
I’m using a butterfly blade at the moment, BH - Rozena and FH - planning to use the dhs hurricane bs rubber and unsure which glue to get. The reason why I’m hesitating is because some have said using other glues rather than free chack can cause damage to the butterfly blades and I’m quite anxious of course. Any suggestion on my case.
should I get the free chack or dhs no.15 glue?
Also this might sound silly but does dhs rubbers have best performance only when you use no.15 glue? Lol
Lastly, will using dhs glue damage your butterfly blade?
Sry if my questions are being too long. My apology, since I just wanted to make things clear.

I cannot answer you whether DHS glue will damage BTY rubber or not because I have never use DHS glue.

However,

I can answer you Free Chack 2 will not damage DHS rubber as I have personally use it for some time already.

p/s What BTY blade are you pairing with Rozena? Viscaria?

Sep 2019
I cannot answer you whether DHS glue will damage BTY rubber or not because I have never use DHS glue.

However,

I can answer you Free Chack 2 will not damage DHS rubber as I have personally use it for some time already.

p/s What BTY blade are you pairing with Rozena? Viscaria?

Yes, viscaria it is. Is it a good pair by the way?
cuz I don’t wanna spend much if possible lol
I’ve heard dignics are much better than Tenergy in terms of durability aside from how much you play. And their price aren’t that different imo. Interested in dignics 09C though for bh.
Any other BTY rubbers you wanna suggest for BH side of viscaria?

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Yes, viscaria it is. Is it a good pair by the way?
cuz I don’t wanna spend much if possible lol
I’ve heard dignics are much better than Tenergy in terms of durability aside from how much you play. And their price aren’t that different imo. Interested in dignics 09C though for bh.
Any other BTY rubbers you wanna suggest for BH side of viscaria?

Viscaria with Tenergy is the standard pairing for elite players.

I have never use Dignics before so I cannot comment.

I have used Tenergy 05 and 80 before but I am not impressed. I resign to the fact that my skill level is not that good enough to extract the best possible outcome from Tenergy rubber and hence to me, they are just normal rubber, no different that any other tensor ESN rubber that is half the price.

On my personal side, I have found my FH holy grail and they are the chinese hard tacky rubber ( H2 / Skyline 2 ). However as for my BH, my search continues. I have tried Donic Baracuda, Yasak Mark V, Joola Zack, Donic Bluefire M2, DHS H3 37 degree. All these candidate seems OK for me, but I just can't seem to settle for the one. It is like having multiple girlfriends but cannot find a wife.

Btw, I am now researching on Rozena as my BH and currently reading reviews on it. I can't seem to decide on which blade to put it on. Can you assist me?

Sep 2019
Viscaria with Tenergy is the standard pairing for elite players.

I have never use Dignics before so I cannot comment.

I have used Tenergy 05 and 80 before but I am not impressed. I resign to the fact that my skill level is not that good enough to extract the best possible outcome from Tenergy rubber and hence to me, they are just normal rubber, no different that any other tensor ESN rubber that is half the price.

On my personal side, I have found my FH holy grail and they are the chinese hard tacky rubber ( H2 / Skyline 2 ). However as for my BH, my search continues. I have tried Donic Baracuda, Yasak Mark V, Joola Zack, Donic Bluefire M2, DHS H3 37 degree. All these candidate seems OK for me, but I just can't seem to settle for the one. It is like having multiple girlfriends but cannot find a wife.

Btw, I am now researching on Rozena as my BH and currently reading reviews on it. I can't seem to decide on which blade to put it on. Can you assist me?

Rozena is really a versatile rubber IMO. And it’s easy to use I would say compare to Tenergy or dignics. Have softer sponge. Intermediate players like me can use it not requiring much time to adapt. Moreover, you get the best for what you’ve paid with Rozena. It might not be as durable or comparing the performance it’s not as spinny or faster than Tenergy, dignics still it’s good enough for most non pro players.
As far as blades, I’ve seen quite a few people who use rozena on inner carbon blades (like harimoto innerforce) and they are pretty satisfied with it. I’m not sure about a blade like viscaria cuz that’s what I’ve been looking for as well. Which blade are you using/plan on using between may I know.
Still rozena being a soft rubber it fits well with inner carbon blades which are also softer compare to outer carbons like viscaria, it’s likely to goes well with stiffer blade like viscaria ( that’s what I thought at least) moreover, Tenergy isn’t that much differ in aspect of hardness compare to Rozena isn’t? Rozena - 35’ and Tenergy (05,80,64)- 36’
even Tenergy suits with stiff blade like viscaria why not the rozena. I think it will fit with rozena too, just you won’t have the performance like Tenergy but still somehow good enough for me without spending much.
I’m not a pro. Aside, I’m an amateur who play tt for fun during my leisure time. I love the sport deeply.
All the above mentioned are just my point of views and opinions so if something else goes wrong, regard it my carelessness and lack of knowledge.
P.s I guess you’re a fan of Jan Woojin looking at your pp. XD

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Rozena is really a versatile rubber IMO. And it’s easy to use I would say compare to Tenergy or dignics. Have softer sponge. Intermediate players like me can use it not requiring much time to adapt. Moreover, you get the best for what you’ve paid with Rozena. It might not be as durable or comparing the performance it’s not as spinny or faster than Tenergy, dignics still it’s good enough for most non pro players.
As far as blades, I’ve seen quite a few people who use rozena on inner carbon blades (like harimoto innerforce) and they are pretty satisfied with it. I’m not sure about a blade like viscaria cuz that’s what I’ve been looking for as well. Which blade are you using/plan on using between may I know.
Still rozena being a soft rubber it fits well with inner carbon blades which are also softer compare to outer carbons like viscaria, it’s likely to goes well with stiffer blade like viscaria ( that’s what I thought at least) moreover, Tenergy isn’t that much differ in aspect of hardness compare to Rozena isn’t? Rozena - 35’ and Tenergy (05,80,64)- 36’
even Tenergy suits with stiff blade like viscaria why not the rozena. I think it will fit with rozena too, just you won’t have the performance like Tenergy but still somehow good enough for me without spending much.
I’m not a pro. Aside, I’m an amateur who play tt for fun during my leisure time. I love the sport deeply.
All the above mentioned are just my point of views and opinions so if something else goes wrong, regard it my carelessness and lack of knowledge.
P.s I guess you’re a fan of Jan Woojin looking at your pp. XD

I have an old Primorac sitting pretty in my drawer. Will most likely put Rozena as BH on this one. I have often joked that BTY blade must pair with BTY rubber. Lets joke no more. As for FH, I will either retain the existing Donic Baracuda or Donic Bluefire M2.

NB: I am waiting for 1.1 Lazada deal. During the previous 12.12 I got a 10% off from my Skyline TG2 Provincial Blue Sponge with free shipping too. Not a bad deal if I may say so myself.

p/s Yeah, I am a fan of JWJ. I like his play-style. FH dominant with powerful FH pivot attack. Ol'skool Asian style.

Last edited:
Sep 2019
I have an old Primorac sitting pretty in my drawer. Will most likely put Rozena as BH on this one. I have often joked that BTY blade must pair with BTY rubber. Lets joke no more. As for FH, I will either retain the existing Donic Baracuda or Donic Bluefire M2.

NB: I am waiting for 1.1 Lazada deal. During the previous 12.12 I got a 10% off from my Skyline TG2 Provincial Blue Sponge with free shipping too. Not a bad deal if I may say so myself.

p/s Yeah, I am a fan of JWJ. I like his play-style. FH dominant with powerful FH pivot attack. Ol'skool Asian style.
I see. The primorac you have is the primorac carbon I assume or is it an all wood primorac? Whatsoever, rozena for the bh is still playable satisfying.