Odd serving by the Ukranian

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
looks perfectly legal to me.................and bloody awkward 😁

Actually I regularly do this especially in the doubles as I try to move a little bit further away to give my partner ample space to return the ball.

Have not done it in singles though.

Reactions: Kolev and lodro
I think it looks more effective than it actually is due to the receiver not being able to read the spin. If he were to do that against a better player I don't see how serving from that position would give any advantage to the server; it would be giving more of an advantage to the receiver as the server is not in a prime position to play the 3rd ball.
It's efficient in such a way that he can (almost) always return the 3:rd ball with backhand. He is probably backhand dominant...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

My first thoughts exactly, but when I watched again I came to the conclusion that the server actually stands behind the table and also
hits the ball behind the table

So the official rules say:
  • From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry.
IMO, the serve in the video is not adhering to the spirit of the rule but is "legal" nevertheles ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dajdosta and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
It's not simply the serves that is getting him points. It's the fact that he is playing pips and can exploit the short returns he gets with a fast off the bounce return with angles and dead spin.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
  • From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry.
IMO, the serve in the video in not adhering to the spirit of the rule but is "legal" nevertheles ...

"""SPIRIT""" ????? 🤣
This is a Table Tennis match = it is a fight = it is a battle == a war even 😁

Just kidding of course, I understand what you are saying but I often say to my opponents : " I play the whole day with you BUT once you want to start counting -play is over and I will fight you.

😎

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
At one time it used to be illegal to serve from outside the sides, but that rule was changed several decades ago. So long as it is behind the end line and above the table, etc. it is good.

Reactions: damszelfly
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Adam Bobrow's dream! Perfect serve for around-the-net rollers.

This serve screams “around the net” for me too. I actually think it’s the best way to return this serve. Weird serve needs weird return :DThe other potential option is using your backhand to push very short to his backhand, since he is very far away from that area. A forehand push will work but need to bend the wrist to match the spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
IMO, the serve in the video is not adhering to the spirit of the rule but is "legal" nevertheles ...

There is no such thing as spirit of the rule. There is only a rule which is clear as a day in this case.
These serves are 100% legal. Watch at 0:30

Reactions: lodro