DNA Dragon Grip - how is it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
Heyo!

Just wanted to know if anyone that has tried Stiga's DNA Dragon Grip could give some sort of comparison with the other DNA rubbers.
Aspects like grip, speed, durability, etc.

I've used regular DNA H on an Azalea Offensive blade for the past couple of years but wanted to try out something that could be similar to a chinese rubber, with more grip and control, on the FH side and thought that maybe the Dragon Grip could be the one (also shouldn't be that big of a change given that it's part of the DNA series??).
You guys think it could work?

Thanksss!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011

So I bought the DNA Dragon, Rakza Z, Tibhar K3 to compare. The Dragon is what I will be switching to for both FH/BH. The Rakza has good grip but waaay too slow for me. The Tibhar is slightly faster than Rakza but still not as fast as the Dragon. The Dragon is slightly sticky and much more powerful.

I play with Amultart blade and am an offensive attacker. I used to play Rasanter R53 on FH and Nittaku Fastarc G1 on BH. Both old rubbers are very fast with good grip but Dragon has more grip but slightly less punch. With the Dragon lifting chops is easy and I can attack with more penetration. On backhand the Dragon easily flips backspin serves but not as fast so you'll have to add some forward push. For blocking the Dragon is much better. Against heavy topspin my blocks are easily controlled and I can place with pinpoint accuracy. The old rubber would have a tendency to fly off and long. Can't comment on durability too much but after 2 weeks I can see some pimples underneath the topsheet so it's starting to get a little translucent. Performance hasn't changed noticeably but I'm guessing durability will be average.

Compared to my old rubbers the Dragon has much better grip and control but slightly less speed. Overall I really like it and will be using it regularly.

Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Read 3 reviews

So I bought the DNA Dragon, Rakza Z, Tibhar K3 to compare. The Dragon is what I will be switching to for both FH/BH. The Rakza has good grip but waaay too slow for me. The Tibhar is slightly faster than Rakza but still not as fast as the Dragon. The Dragon is slightly sticky and much more powerful.

I play with Amultart blade and am an offensive attacker. I used to play Rasanter R53 on FH and Nittaku Fastarc G1 on BH. Both old rubbers are very fast with good grip but Dragon has more grip but slightly less punch. With the Dragon lifting chops is easy and I can attack with more penetration. On backhand the Dragon easily flips backspin serves but not as fast so you'll have to add some forward push. For blocking the Dragon is much better. Against heavy topspin my blocks are easily controlled and I can place with pinpoint accuracy. The old rubber would have a tendency to fly off and long. Can't comment on durability too much but after 2 weeks I can see some pimples underneath the topsheet so it's starting to get a little translucent. Performance hasn't changed noticeably but I'm guessing durability will be average.

Compared to my old rubbers the Dragon has much better grip and control but slightly less speed. Overall I really like it and will be using it regularly.

I know I'm late but how long did it last and how much did you train

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

Since the thread got resurrected, I was asking a clubmate who tried all three: Dragon Grip, Rakza Z and K3. I think he has similiar opinion. He feels that Dragon Grip is just slightly tacky and has the highest throw angle. He ranks Rakza Z throw angle next in line.with K3 being the lowest.

He did not like K3 at all but he hates all rubbers with low throw angle. But we talked and we agreed that since I use hurricane, I will like K3 the most. The lower throw angle it is, the better I like it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I know I'm late but how long did it last and how much did you train
So now that I've played extensively with DG and K3 I can give an update. The DG was a really great rubber for about a month. When it wears the tackiness wears off first and when it goes the performance falls off a cliff. Some rubbers wear slowly and you almost can't tell. With DG the performance drops off noticeably. So I ended up going to K3. I really like K3. Yes the throw angle is slightly lower but it has good speed. The grip is 90% similar to DG but slightly harder feel. It does last longer and doesn't drop off a cliff. I train 3X/Wk for about 3 hours a night. Another reason I quit using DG is there was a supply shortage about a year ago. It was impossible to get any stock for months at a time. So I ended up using alternatives.

Reactions: hclnnkhg and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Since the thread got resurrected, I was asking a clubmate who tried all three: Dragon Grip, Rakza Z and K3. I think he has similiar opinion. He feels that Dragon Grip is just slightly tacky and has the highest throw angle. He ranks Rakza Z throw angle next in line.with K3 being the lowest.

He did not like K3 at all but he hates all rubbers with low throw angle. But we talked and we agreed that since I use hurricane, I will like K3 the most. The lower throw angle it is, the better I like it.
Coming from H3 the K3 would be faster and less sticky. I don't think you can really compare the two since the K3 is a tradeoff of tack versus speed.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Coming from H3 the K3 would be faster and less sticky. I don't think you can really compare the two since the K3 is a tradeoff of tack versus speed.
Yeah, I have tempted to try K3 for a long term but I just have not pulled the trigger. I have a feeling that I will like Hurricane better.

Right now I have a Battle II blue sponge prep'ed for a blade. That is my last attempt to EJ on my forehand. I have a strong feeling that I will like hurricane better still but that Battle II already went through four layers of booster, 24 hours apart between the application of each layer, so I need to pull the trigger and just assemble it already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Yeah, I have tempted to try K3 for a long term but I just have not pulled the trigger. I have a feeling that I will like Hurricane better.

Right now I have a Battle II blue sponge prep'ed for a blade. That is my last attempt to EJ on my forehand. I have a strong feeling that I will like hurricane better still but that Battle II already went through four layers of booster, 24 hours apart between the application of each layer, so I need to pull the trigger and just assemble it already.
If you like H3 you probably won't like K3. You will think it's too fast and not enough grip. Plus it doesn't last as long. Being a hybrid user there's no way I can use H3. I would throw out my shoulder and end up out of action for months. I even tried Tau II and thought that was way too slow for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

H3 won't let you go once you have adapted to it ;)
I tried some Battle 2 (but not a version with a blue sponge), some hybrids like Rakza Z, Codexx EL Pro 52 or Victas Triple Extra and also some Sanwei Targets but I always returned to H3.
Currently - for me - Battle 3 (boosted) is the best/closest alternative to H3. H3 is still better when it comes to spin but not by much.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I tried some Battle 2 (but not a version with a blue sponge), some hybrids like Rakza Z, Codexx EL Pro 52 or Victas Triple Extra and also some Sanwei Targets but I always returned to H3.
Currently - for me - Battle 3 (boosted) is the best/closest alternative to H3. H3 is still better when it comes to spin but not by much.
Agree! It is just that the EJ virus inside of me pops up at times still. And now hurricane is not as tacky as before, I am thinking about alternatives.

I have gotten some TG3 neo and TG2 neo. Yes they are just as tacky as before but they are not as fast as H3 neo.

Well, you win some in life and you lose some in life. Things are not always going to be smooth.

Reactions: ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I can't say that I agree. I've tried H3 adapted to it and ran away from it. The spin is great but it's just a very demanding rubber. I don't have lightening footwork and a 20 yo's stamina. For me a hybrid is the best compromise. Some stickiness with a tensor rubber for speed.