Premade rackets

This user has no status.
What do you think? Was Mao Zedong bad for China?

Hello, this is Chinese National Security Agency.
This civilian has been relocated for eduction on political matters. Please do not contact him, please forget he ever existed.
Thank you for your cooperation.

No there not necessarily bad some of them consists of the exact same components as you ou would assemble yourself. Not even the ones one step lower are that bad. You have to look at the components to tell the quality.

Cheers
L-zr

NDH

says Spin to win!
Recently I’ve been helping my friend pick out his first Butterfly set. During research I came upon a heatedly debated question: are premade rackets really that bad?
My take is yes they are bad, but what do you think?

Bad for a true beginner? No

Bad for anyone wanting to take the sport seriously? Yes.

I know a lot of table tennis players of all levels, and very few actually understand their equipment. Even less of them could glue rubbers on a bat.

You usually get a handful of experienced players in a given region who tend to hand out the advice to most others - Even some of the better players!

My main dislike of pre made bats for people playing the sport seriously is the lack of customisation.

Yes, people massively overthink their equipment, and it matters significantly less than people on this forum think it does.

But to be able to “upgrade” the set up of an improving player through small tweaks, is important.

You can’t do that with a pre made bat!

This user has no status.

I know a lot of table tennis players of all levels, and very few actually understand their equipment. Even less of them could glue rubbers on a bat.

You usually get a handful of experienced players in a given region who tend to hand out the advice to most others - Even some of the better players!

My main dislike of pre made bats for people playing the sport seriously is the lack of customisation.

Yes, people massively overthink their equipment, and it matters significantly less than people on this forum think it does.

But to be able to “upgrade” the set up of an improving player through small tweaks, is important.

The Chinese National Security Agency approves and agrees with this statement.

I have to disagree, You can do the same tweets with most bats and like you said a lot of players doesn’t know much about equipment.
And in reality the high end preassembled may be better then one you assemble yourself. Then at least you know the components match.
Don’t be afraid to go this way. Actually if you don’t know it’s probably better for You.

Cheers
L-zr

NDH

says Spin to win!
I have to disagree, You can do the same tweets with most bats and like you said a lot of players doesn’t know much about equipment.
And in reality the high end preassembled may be better then one you assemble yourself. Then at least you know the components match.
Don’t be afraid to go this way. Actually if you don’t know it’s probably better for You.

Cheers
L-zr

I don’t know if there is a much bigger range of “pre-made” bats in other parts of the world…… But assuming we are talking about the pre made bats where you can’t take the rubbers off, then I don’t know of any in the UK that can match even a very cheap “custom” bat.

They are fine for “my first bat” people, but they aren’t appropriate past that very beginner level.

They are also usually overpriced, as you pay for the convenience.

I don’t know if there is a much bigger range of “pre-made” bats in other parts of the world…… But assuming we are talking about the pre made bats where you can’t take the rubbers off, then I don’t know of any in the UK that can match even a very cheap “custom” bat.

They are fine for “my first bat” people, but they aren’t appropriate past that very beginner level.

They are also usually overpriced, as you pay for the convenience.

Then you don’t know much look a Butterfly’s, Stiga’s or Yasaka’s homepage.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
For a true beginner I think one of those would 20 bucks "Walmart" type of rackets is just fine but for a serious player not so much.

​​​

NDH

says Spin to win!

Cheers
L-zr

Unless you can help me (and others reading) by providing specific links to what you are referring to, I’m afraid I stand by what I’ve said.

Butterfly (amongst others) do a lot of “pre made” bats with various players (like Timo Boll), but most of them don’t match up to a cheap custom bat (there will always be exceptions obviously).

It’s very possible we are talking about different things here though, so any links you are referring to would be appreciated.

It’s also worth pointing out that most newcomers won’t be buying from the manufacturers like Butterfly or Stiga directly.

They’ll be buying from a local TT shop (probably an online retailer in their country) or a generic sports store (who will definitely have the lower quality/cheaper options).

Reactions: PingBirdPong

Unless you can help me (and others reading) by providing specific links to what you are referring to, I’m afraid I stand by what I’ve said.

Butterfly (amongst others) do a lot of “pre made” bats with various players (like Timo Boll), but most of them don’t match up to a cheap custom bat (there will always be exceptions obviously).

It’s very possible we are talking about different things here though, so any links you are referring to would be appreciated.

It’s also worth pointing out that most newcomers won’t be buying from the manufacturers like Butterfly or Stiga directly.

They’ll be buying from a local TT shop (probably an online retailer in their country) or a generic sports store (who will definitely have the lower quality/cheaper options).

They do a Viscaria with Tenergy among a lot of others…

Tabletennis11 do a whole bunch of good ones…

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
They do a Viscaria with Tenergy among a lot of others…

Ah OK, thanks for clarifying.

I think this has got a bit “lost on translation”. Perhaps I’m wrong from the initial OP’s intention, but I thought he meant the “pre made” bats you’d find in sports shops, where you can’t remove the rubbers because they are super glued on!

I wouldn’t class a Viscaria and Tenergy as a “pre made” bat - That’s just a really popular “pro” set up you can buy from Table Tennis retailers.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020

Cheers
L-zr

Mr Lazer,

By 'pre-made' people mean bats that have rubbers (cheap ones, below the quality of rubbers that one would buy in an individual pack) superglued to the blade in the factory. Not only does this mean that it is nearly impossible to remove and replace the rubbers but usually the blades are funky- heavy and with weird handles.

From the main companies it is primarily Stiga and Butterfly that are guilty of selling this sub-par equipment at too high a cost.

From OP's post it was clear that he was talking about these sorts of bats, not about a Viscaria with T05 on both sides sold with everything assembled by a shop.

Cheers,

S-faChamp