My newly bought racket is too fast, what can I do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Hi guys,

in my previous post I asked you guys for table tennis racket suggestions for a beginner, so I bought the Yinhe Earth 3 blade with 2 Palio AK47 rubbers (Red and Blue) from Princett. After 1 month of waiting the racket finally arrived and it turned out to be way faster than expected. I can no longer do proper forehand drives (using weight-shifting and full elbow extension) without the ball either going very fast or just flying off the table. I have asked around in my table tennis club and people have confirmed my fear that this racket is too fast for someone new and I will probably not be able to develop proper fundamentals with it.

What should (or can) I do right now? I have spent all of my saving to buy the thing and now I feel thoroughly depressed with this racket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
The blade looks to be rated ALL+ so not too fast so the rubber seems to be the culprit. I think the cheapest would be to sell the rubbers, keep the blade and buy some slower rubbers (could be used to save the cost)

Yeah that might be the best way to salvage the situation. Do you know any decent rubber that is also cheap and not too fast?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Hi guys,

in my previous post I asked you guys for table tennis racket suggestions for a beginner, so I bought the Yinhe Earth 3 blade with 2 Palio AK47 rubbers (Red and Blue) from Princett. After 1 month of waiting the racket finally arrived and it turned out to be way faster than expected. I can no longer do proper forehand drives (using weight-shifting and full elbow extension) without the ball either going very fast or just flying off the table. I have asked around in my table tennis club and people have confirmed my fear that this racket is too fast for someone new and I will probably not be able to develop proper fundamentals with it.

What should (or can) I do right now? I have spent all of my saving to buy the thing and now I feel thoroughly depressed with this racket.
I have been in a similar situation before. It is definitely dispiriting. I feel for you. What you need to work out is, what about the racket is too fast?

Is it:
1. The blade? I know nothing about the blade you have, so I can’t offer any advice. If the blade is too fast, then that you will need to buy a new blade. I’m sure many people on the forum can recommend a new blade. The consensus is that a wooden, 5 ply ‘All- to All+’ speed blade is desirable for a beginner. You can probably get a good one for an affordable price.

2. The rubbers? The two rubbers you have are ‘tensors’ — their top sheets are tensioned, to give them an extra, unnatural speed, what is called a ‘catapult effect’. This may be the reason for your trouble, as this ‘catapult effect’ is fast and inconsistent — what speed you get from the rubber is unpredictable and often a lot faster than the force you put in (if you put in an effort of ‘5’, you get a speed of ‘10’ on one shot and a speed of ‘15’ on the next). This is why tensors are not recommended for beginners, even if they are useful for skilled intermediates or pros.

3. The arc? If the arc (spin to speed ratio) of the rubber is too low or high for your technique, you will struggle to get the ball on the table. This matters a lot with tensors (in my opinion), as a rubber that has an uncomfortable trajectory combined with fast speed will be very difficult to control. I suspect your rubber has too little spin/too much speed — you need a slower, grippier rubber.

With my bat, I had combined rubbers that were too fast and low arcing with a blade that was too fast. I had all the problems. You may only have one or two of them: work out what the issue is and ask an expert here on a recommendation for an affordable new blade/rubber/both.

Reactions: Bach
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
My advice would be to not worry about your equipment too much at this point and instead just try to have fun with the bat you have. It makes sense that your current technique (which you developed using a hobby bat) doesn't work with your new set up. Give it some time, change your bat angle a bit, loosen up your grip, slow things down a bit and just have fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
For how long have tried it? Give it a month or two and I think you might be able to adapt.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
2. The rubbers? The two rubbers you have are ‘tensors’ — their top sheets are tensioned,
This is just marketing hype. What is holding the rubber in tension?

to give them an extra, unnatural speed, what is called a ‘catapult effect’.
The term trampoline effect is MUCH better. Why? Think about it1

This may be the reason for your trouble, as this ‘catapult effect’ is fast and inconsistent
It is the player that is inconsistent. Faster and spinnier rubbers just amplify the inconsistency.

I am not trying to pick on you. You are a victim of "fake info" on TT forums.

Think about the difference between catapult and trampoline.

H3 Neo is cheap and not too fast and spins balls well. Brushing more will increase the spin to speed ratio.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Hi guys,

Hey Bach, from few days, I'm using your same setup (Earth 3 + AK-47 blue on BH), the only difference is that I use a slower semi tacky soft chinese rubber on forehand (KTL rapid soft).

Try to follow something similar, using no tensored rubber where you feel to be too fast, or using another blue or yellow AK-47.

Inviato dal mio MI 8 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
This is just marketing hype. What is holding the rubber in tension?

The term trampoline effect is MUCH better. Why? Think about it1

It is the player that is inconsistent. Faster and spinnier rubbers just amplify the inconsistency.

I am not trying to pick on you. You are a victim of "fake info" on TT forums.

Think about the difference between catapult and trampoline.

H3 Neo is cheap and not too fast and spins balls well. Brushing more will increase the spin to speed ratio.
All of the points you have made are fair — I am also a H3 Neo player and ‘trampoline’ effect is clearly a better way of describing the effect these tenants have. I used ‘catapult’, because it is a more widely used term. Also, regardless of the way you describe them, these powerful boosted rubbers do exist and I don’t believe they are ideal for beginners. I believe I have had a similar experience to the OP.

I’m not sure about recommending Hurricane though, to someone who is already dissatisfied with their equipment. It is extremely effective for certain strokes (brush loops, serving, drop shots, short game etc) but requires high effort and unusual techniques to be effective, which might be difficult for a beginner. This forum is full of beginners talking about how difficult they find hurricane. Hurricane would offer what the OP wants but it would be a shock to play with, perhaps. They could love it or hate it.

You are clearly a forum veteran and will know better than a casual player like me, but replacing a tensor with an Uber hard rubber that requires unusual and strong brushing strokes to be effective seems like a gamble, especially if the OP is on a budget. Are there no softer, grippy, more all rounded rubbers that could do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
H3 Neo is really a bad recommendation just because it's slow and spinny. It's really only suitable for pro players or hobby players who don't give a damn.
There's not much joy in playing with it.

But the H3-50 35 degree version is a lot of fun. It's between Tenergy and Tenergy FX in hardness, not nearly as fast, more grippy/sticky, more durable too.
It has a really great sponge, super clicky, and a lot of fun. Significantly easier to use than H3 Neo or Tenergy.

I don't get it why the AK47 is recommended so much, I guess the stocky gold version is OK but the rest feels like recycled plastic bags.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
You can try to adjust your technique to take advantage of the extra speed by simply experimenting and closing the angle of the blade when you do your full stroke, Now suddenly you have a fast AND spinny ball that dips down into the table. Win Win.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
No worries, you are off to a good start.

Next step is to become faster than your racket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
Bach;358909Hai guys,

di postingan saya sebelumnya saya minta saran raket tenis meja untuk pemula, jadi saya membeli bilah Yinhe Earth 3 dengan 2 karet Palio AK47 (Merah dan Biru) dari Princett. Setelah 1 bulan menunggu akhirnya raket datang dan ternyata jauh lebih cepat dari perkiraan. Saya tidak bisa lagi melakukan forehand drive yang tepat (menggunakan pemindahan beban dan ekstensi siku penuh) tanpa bola melaju sangat cepat atau hanya melayang dari meja. Saya telah bertanya-tanya di klub tenis meja saya dan orang-orang telah mengkonfirmasi ketakutan saya bahwa raket ini terlalu cepat untuk seseorang yang baru dan saya mungkin tidak akan dapat mengembangkan dasar-dasar yang tepat dengannya.

Apa yang harus (atau dapat) saya lakukan sekarang? Saya telah menghabiskan semua tabungan saya untuk membeli barang itu dan sekarang saya merasa sangat tertekan dengan raket ini.
Â

I'm a long time palio user, for me the ak47 red is fast rubber, and for beginners I think it's a bit difficult. replace the softer rubber. try using yinhe moon rubber medium sponge, the price is below ak47 red.
sorry if my suggestion is wrong

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am wondering how useful the comments in the thread are. The first few are fine and then things go a little astray.

One thing I would say is, beware of anyone recommending equipment for you if they have not seen you play. So, on that note:

Can you tell us what you were using before you got the Yinhe E3 with AK47?

Can you post footage of you playing with that racket you had before the E3/AK47?

Can you post some footage of you using the new E3/AK47 racket?

It is possible that if you play with the new racket for a while, you will get used to it. But it is also possible that you would be better off with a set of slower rubbers, and, maybe, a set of slower rubbers on a slower blade. But it would be hard to tell without seeing what you are actually doing.

Regardless of whether you post footage or not, I hope you are able to find some way to sort things out so you have a racket that is good for you to use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
The AK-47s are capable rubbers, but play quite fast .. In terms of speed, the RED variant, runs a notch or so, below the MXP, and the blue one is a bit slower than the RED one .. Neither are recommended for entry-level players..

Keep the blade, but swap-out the rubbers for something like Yinhe Earth II (Soft) ... Alternately, you could switch to Sanwei T88-III .. or use one on each side.. Earth is an inexpensive rubber, and offers loads of Control .. T88-III too is the same...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Bach,

If you do not feel up to operating a saw to make the shape better, (or even if you do not feel up to a 48 hr stakeout looking over Safehouse #13 with Carl) then don't worry, new suckers are born every minute,one day, you will find a new player absolutely hungry for this kind of blade and you will be there ready.

In earlier days, you had a much smaller world, now technology and the post makes it much larger.

The vid below is how it could work...

• Haha
Reactions: SofaChamp