Robot for training the basics

Hi TTD community. Our coach wants to buy a robot for training the basics. After single drives and topspins, we usually do (depending the player) 3 point FH, Falkenberg, 3 FH 3 BH, 3rd and 5th ball attack, pushes and flicks. As in Peru TT isn't very popular, we have limited options. We're considering:

https://anjsports.com/producto/xiom-i5-robot/
https://tenimesistas.com/producto/pack-robot-tibhar-topspin-ball/

Any experiences with these robots? Which one do you think would fit our training the best? All suggestions are welcome 😀

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I bought a Newgy Robopong 2055 myself a year ago. It works really good. Mostly I do just forehand or just backhand, and there is a mode for these easy drills as well. And 64 built in drills, and you may alter these with a computer or create your own drills. I was looking at the cheapest Butterfly robot, and compared it to this one. I feel that the Robopong 2055 got more possibilities and a lower price. The Windows GUI is a little buggy, but you learn after a while.https://www.tt-shop.com/com_eng/donic-robo-pong-206383.htmlhttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2677/3302/files/1055_2055-Owners_Manual-3.2.21.pdf

Reactions: ADurao

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
It sounds like there is a group of you playing there. "Our coach ..."

If that is true then taking some time to learn to feed each other multiball could be a lot better [also cheaper] than a robot. It's not that hard to learn to feed basic multiball. And seeing the ball come from a real bat is better than having it thrown by a robot because you learn to read the spin and placement better.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I bought a Newgy Robopong 2055 myself a year ago. It works really good. Mostly I do just forehand or just backhand, and there is a mode for these easy drills as well. And 64 built in drills, and you may alter these with a computer or create your own drills. I was looking at the cheapest Butterfly robot, and compared it to this one. I feel that the Robopong 2055 got more possibilities and a lower price. The Windows GUI is a little buggy, but you learn after a while.https://www.tt-shop.com/com_eng/donic-robo-pong-206383.htmlhttps://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2677/3302/files/1055_2055-Owners_Manual-3.2.21.pdf
Yeah, I have one as well, great robot!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
I bought a Newgy Robopong 2055 myself a year ago. It works really good. Mostly I do just forehand or just backhand, and there is a mode for these easy drills as well. And 64 built in drills, and you may alter these with a computer or create your own drills. I was looking at the cheapest Butterfly robot, and compared it to this one. I feel that the Robopong 2055 got more possibilities and a lower price. The Windows GUI is a little buggy, but you learn after a while.

Yes, this is a very good robot, I was convinced of this more than once.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022
I have the Power Pong 5000. I never use the side spin, and rarely use back spin. I also rarely have it send different spins in the same drill, so buying one capable of all that was a complete waste of money for me.

Reactions: Dream2K and lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

If that is true then taking some time to learn to feed each other multiball could be a lot better [also cheaper] than a robot. It's not that hard to learn to feed basic multiball. And seeing the ball come from a real bat is better than having it thrown by a robot because you learn to read the spin and placement better.
Excellent post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

I agree and disagree at the same time. You have to go somewhere to do multiball and in current hard times it is not to be taken for granted. I love the fact that I can go to my coop and play with the robot for an hour or two whenver I want even during lockdown.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Multiball will always be better than the robot because one can see what the coaches hand and blade are doing.
True, my robot can spit out a ball so fast it leaves permanent marks on the table, it will do any kind of spin and combos
it will do random- series of shot-combos but I have no chance to react to the head-movement, it is not visible enough and too fast.

So, I am willing to swap my robot for a coach that gives me multiballs 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have an old 2050. When I took lessons, I never liked multiball since so much could be done with the robot. The robot can be set up throw random balls. When I played with the coach I always preferred that he randomly hit balls at me. This simulates more of a real game. Eventually I just told him to do the random drill. So this wasn't anything like multiball in the traditional sense. At the time my coach was 1/3 my age. He could tire me out in a couple of minutes. I miss my 3rd coach. He was fun.

I don't like robots but sometimes I need to "calibrate" my strokes. Also, when hitting balls back at the robot I listen to the sound of contract. Brushed balls do not make a much sound as ones that hit through to the wood.

I don't understand the need for fast rubbers. Even small girls can hit the ball fast enough to compete with most of us. It is getting a high spin to speed ratio and the timing to achieve it that matters.

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I have an old 2050. When I took lessons, I never liked multiball since so much could be done with the robot. The robot can be set up throw random balls. When I played with the coach I always preferred that he randomly hit balls at me. This simulates more of a real game. Eventually I just told him to do the random drill. So this wasn't anything like multiball in the traditional sense. At the time my coach was 1/3 my age. He could tire me out in a couple of minutes. I miss my 3rd coach. He was fun.

I don't like robots but sometimes I need to "calibrate" my strokes. Also, when hitting balls back at the robot I listen to the sound of contract. Brushed balls do not make a much sound as ones that hit through to the wood.

I don't understand the need for fast rubbers. Even small girls can hit the ball fast enough to compete with most of us. It is getting a high spin to speed ratio and the timing to achieve it that matters.
agreed. another good use for the robot is to try out the specific qualities of a new ( for me) rubber against a known programmed shot.
Then of course is the covid-aspect, I can always build up a sweat at home when the clubs are closed