Hard vs Soft rubbers

NDH

says Spin to win!
I generally get more control and a better touch with harder rubbers.

I also find they are very good for producing spin.

Softer rubbers are easier to play with in general, as they require less force to get a good amount of speed and spin on the ball.

My recent example can be summed up in my move from T05 to D09c.

Unless you are in position to play a good stroke with D09c, the results are average.

Even if out of position with T05, you can do a quick whip of the wrist and produce a pretty good attacking shot.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
When I tried T05 and R53 I thought generally that the R53 felt ‘softer’ than T05, I would say the rubber top sheet of R53 felt softer than that of T05.
that’s what I thought, personal opinion, but others may think differently!!

Both rubbers are used to better potential by more advanced players. I found that R53 was less forgiving, especially when the sponge was engaged and I was playing a stroke out of position or mis timed a shot. When in position and with enough time, I thought that my FH loop quality, speed / spin ‘felt’ better with R53, what my opponent thought ?? Should have asked!!

This user has no status.
When I tried T05 and R53 I thought generally that the R53 felt ‘softer’ than T05, I would say the rubber top sheet of R53 felt softer than that of T05.
that’s what I thought, personal opinion, but others may think differently!!

Both rubbers are used to better potential by more advanced players. I found that R53 was less forgiving, especially when the sponge was engaged and I was playing a stroke out of position or mis timed a shot. When in position and with enough time, I thought that my FH loop quality, speed / spin ‘felt’ better with R53, what my opponent thought ?? Should have asked!!

Ok thanks for the advice I might even try the R53

This user has no status.
I generally get more control and a better touch with harder rubbers.

I also find they are very good for producing spin.

Softer rubbers are easier to play with in general, as they require less force to get a good amount of speed and spin on the ball.

My recent example can be summed up in my move from T05 to D09c.

Unless you are in position to play a good stroke with D09c, the results are average.

Even if out of position with T05, you can do a quick whip of the wrist and produce a pretty good attacking shot.

Thanks NDH, I was thinking of trying the R53

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think we need to talk about blade and rubbers together. I think blade makes bigger impact and rubbers will behave very different depending on the blade they are on. I think many times players, especially younger players chose softer rubbers for control but they bottom out too much so they are forced to play to much upwards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
I think we need to talk about blade and rubbers together. I think blade makes bigger impact and rubbers will behave very different depending on the blade they are on. I think many times players, especially younger players chose softer rubbers for control but they bottom out too much so they are forced to play to much upwards.

Agreed.
There was also that one video from EmRatThich that talked about combos like:

- Flexible blade + Soft rubber
- Hard blade + Soft rubber
- Flexible blade + Hard rubber
- Hard blade + Hard rubber

He also talked about what each setup was like.

This user has no status.

Yes I agree younger players shouldn't plunge for any carbon blades unless they're top level they should go for offensive or allround wood blades like the Primorac which I used to use, which is absolutely insane. I see often at my club the younger players have the innerforce alcs and tenergy. I think this is way too fast for them when they're still developing the technique, they can't control the ball properly. They should opt for an all wood blade instead and a slower tensor rubber maybe like rozena or roundell

This user has no status.

Agreed.
There was also that one video from EmRatThich that talked about combos like:

- Flexible blade + Soft rubber
- Hard blade + Soft rubber
- Flexible blade + Hard rubber
- Hard blade + Hard rubber

He also talked about what each setup was like.

Yes I saw that vid

Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Hi guys, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a soft rubber and a hard rubber like a tenergy 05 for the soft rubber and the Andro Rasanter R53 for the hard rubber

Strictly speaking, T05 is not a "soft" rubber (unlike say T05-FX or R42), it's a medium-hard rubber really, in the same league as MX-P or R48.

NDH

says Spin to win!

Strictly speaking, T05 is not a "soft" rubber (unlike say T05-FX or R42), it's a medium-hard rubber really, in the same league as MX-P or R48.

Cor, would you class MX-P and T05 in the same ballpark? Maybe I've forgotten how hard/soft MX-P was, but I always thought it was a touch harder than T05 (but that could be my memory playing tricks on me!)

Having used Dignics 09c now, T05 feels like the softest rubber in the world 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Cor, would you class MX-P and T05 in the same ballpark? Maybe I've forgotten how hard/soft MX-P was, but I always thought it was a touch harder than T05 (but that could be my memory playing tricks on me!)

Yes, MX-P does feel a bit harder than T05 but they are still within the same hardness class. T05 FX/FX-P/etc feel much softer, the difference is quite pronounced, IMO.

Having used Dignics 09c now, T05 feels like the softest rubber in the world 😂

Agreed. I use Tibhar Hybrid K2 on FH and T05/MX-P feels too soft in comparison.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I used Rozena for years on BH since I don't particularly find the benefit of T05 instead. I also used MX-P on BH and MX-P never felt any harder they are surprisingly interchangeable with minimal stroke adjusment.

It should be measured for both the topsheet and sponge hardness. As a complete rubber Tenergy 05 feels harder, T19 feels softer than both MX-P and Rozena.